Effective Date: 05/04/18
A regulation and ordinance to prohibit the unauthorized removal, disabling,
damaging, tampering with or impairing the functionality of any university owned
surveillance camera, monitoring, recording, communication, warning, safety,
security or fire related device; requiring the reporting of such witnessed or
accidental conduct, and providing fires and penalties for its violation.
WHEREAS, Article VIII, Section 6 of the Michigan Constitution of 1963 provides that the Board of Control of Michigan Technological University shall be a body corporate and vests therein the general supervision of said University; and
WHEREAS, Public Act number 70 of 1885 as amended provides that the Board of Control shall have authority to make and prescribe reasonable rules and regulations for the care, preservation, and protection of buildings and property dedicated and appropriated to public use, over which the Board of Control has jurisdiction or power of control and the conduct of those coming upon the property thereof, which may be necessary for the maintenance of good order and the protection of such property, which rules and regulations become ordinances upon publication and posting; and
WHEREAS, pursuant to the above-designated authority, and in discharge of the responsibility imposed thereby, the Board of Control of Michigan Technological University deems it necessary to adopt the following regulations and this Ordinance for the care, preservation, protection and government of University property and persons thereon.
NOW, THEREFORE, the Board of Control (Board of Trustees) of Michigan Technological University hereby adopts these rules and regulations which shall also be a University ordinance.
- Intentional or knowing conduct. No person(s), other than an authorized Michigan Technological University employee
or hired contractor in the performance of their University authorized installation,
monitoring, repair, operation or replacement activity shall intentionally or knowingly
remove, damage, disable, obscure, tamper with, alter the direction of, or in any way
disrupt, block or impair the normal operation or functionality of:
- Any surveillance camera, security, safety or performance monitoring, recording, communication or alarm device, or related equipment, including but not limited to autonomous aerial, land or water based devices;
- Any fire, smoke or other alarm or alarm system or related equipment;
- Any fire extinguisher or fire suppression device or related equipment;
- Any security, security lighting, or related equipment;
- Any lock or other entrance or exit control or monitoring device,
- Accidental or witnessed conduct reporting. Any person who by accident does any of the above mentioned prohibited acts or who witnesses any such accidental or prohibited intentional act shall immediately report that fact to the Department of Public Safety and Police Services.
- Penalties. Any person violating any provision of this ordinance shall be guilty of a misdemeanor punishable by the monetary fines and jail penalties provided by law.
- Severability. If any part or parts of this ordinance are for any reason held to be invalid or unconstitutional such holding shall not affect the validity or constitutionality of the remaining portions of this ordinance, which remaining portions shall continue to be valid and enforceable.
- Effective date. This ordinance shall become effective upon its adoption, posting on University property and publication in the Daily Mining Gazette. Copies shall be made available at the Department of Public Safety and Police Services and on the University Website.
- 05/04/2018: Adopted