Social Sciences faculty members are active researchers and prolific authors. See the books and edited volumes they have published or peruse the topics our faculty have been investigating by their recent publications:
Hugh S. Gorman
- Valoree S. Gagnon, Hugh S. Gorman, and Emma S. Norman, “Power and Politics in Research Design and Practice: Opening Space for Social Equity in Interdisciplinary, Multi-Jurisdictional, and Community-Based Research,” Gateways: Journal of Community Research and Engagement (forthcoming 2017).
- Hugh S. Gorman, “The Role of Businesses in Constructing Systems of Environmental Governance,” in Green Capitalism? Business and the Environment in the Twentieth Century, ed. Hartmut Berghoff and Adam Rome (University of Pennsylvania Press, 2017), 33-50.
- Hugh S. Gorman, Valoree S. Gagnon, and Emma S. Norman, “Local Impacts, Global Sources: The Governance of Boundary-Crossing Chemicals,” History of Science 54 (2016): 443-459.
- Hugh S. Gorman, “Thinking in Cycles: Flows of Nitrogen and Sustainable Uses of the Environment” in Managing the Unknown, ed. Frank Uekotter and Uwe Lübken (New York: Berghahn, 2014), 32-52.
- Hugh S. Gorman, “Learning from 100 Years of Ammonia Synthesis: Establishing Human-Defined Limits through Adaptive Systems of Governance,” GAiA: Ecological Perspectives for Science and Society 22 (2013): 263-270.
Kathleen E. Halvorsen
- Banerjee*, A., K.E. Halvorsen, A. Eastmond-Spencer, and S.R. Sweitz. 2017. Sustainable development for whom and how? Exploring the gaps between popular discourses and ground reality using the Mexican Jatropha biodiesel case. Environmental Management 59:912-923.
- Banerjee*, A., C. Schelly, and K.E. Halvorsen. 2017. Understanding public perceptions of wood-based electricity production in Wisconsin, United States: Place-based dynamics and social representations. Environmental Sociology Online First. DOI 10.1080/23251042.2016.1272181.
- Halvorsen, K.E., J.L. Knowlton, A.S. Mayer, C.C. Phifer, T. Martins, E.C. Pischke*, T.S. Propato, C. Garcia, M. Chiappe, A. Eastmond, J. Licata, M. Kuhlberg, R. Medeiros, V. Picasso, G. Mendez, P. Primo, A. Frado, S. Veron, J. Dunn. 2016. Assessing the Success of an International, Interdisciplinary Energy-related Research Project. Journal of Environmental Science and Studies. 6(2)313-323.
- Norris, P., M. O’Rourke, A. Mayer, and K.E. Halvorsen. 2016. Doubling Down: Transdisciplinary Research Team Formation as a Wicked Problem. Invited Manuscript for Special Issue\Wicked Problems. Landscape and Urban Planning. 151(7).
- Solomon Barry D., Aparajita Banerjee*, Alberto Acevedo, Kathleen E. Halvorsen, and Amarella Eastmond. 2015. Policies for the Sustainable Development of Biofuels in Pan America: A Review and Synthesis of Five Countries. Special Isssue of Environmental Management on Bioenergy across the Americas. 56(6)1276-1294.
- NRC-NAS Committee on Economic and Environmental Impacts of Increasing Biofuels Production (Lave, L.B. (chair), I.C. Burke (co-chair), W.E. Tyner (co-chair), V.H. Dale, K.E. Halvorsen, J.D. Hill, S.R. Kaffka, K.C. Klasing, S.J. McGovern, J.A. Miranowski, A. Patrinos, J.L. Schnoor, D.R. Schweikhardt, T.L. Selfa, B.L. Sohngen, and J.A. Soria). 2011. Renewable Fuel Standard: Potential Economic and Environmental Effects of U.S. Biofuel Policy. Natural Research Council of the National Academies.
Kari B. Henquinet
- Baziari, Fahimeh M; Kari B Henquinet; Molly A Cavaleri (2017). Understanding Farmers' Perceptions and the Effects of Shea (Vitellaria paradoxa) Tree Distribution in Agroforestry Parklands in the Upper West Region, Ghana. Agroforestry Systems 1-14. Read More
- Henquinet, Kari B. (2017). Book review of AIDS and Masculinity in the African City: Privilege, Inequality, and Modern Manhood. Robert Wyrod. Oakland: University of California Press, 2016. American Ethnologist 44(4):713-714.
- Henquinet, Kari B. (2017). Women’s Rights and Transnational Aid Programs in Niger: The Conundrums and Possibilities of Neoliberalism and Legal Pluralism. In Human Rights Encounter Legal Pluralism. Eva Brems, Giselle Corradi and Mark Goodale, eds. Oxford: Hart Publishing. Read More
- Henquinet, Kari B. (2016) Production of Knowledge: International Development Agencies: Sahelian West Africa. In Encyclopedia of Women and Islamic Cultures. Suad Joseph, ed. Leiden: Brill. Read More
- Henquinet, Kari B. (2016). Cultivating Empathy in University-Peace Corps Partnerships. International Educator (Jan/Feb). Read More
- Henquinet, Kari. (2016). Humanitarian Engineering. Michigan Tech Magazine 53(1):12-13. Read More
- Bowman, Luke J. and Kari B. Henquinet. (2015). Disaster risk reduction at San Vicente (Chichontepec) Volcano, El Salvador: toward understanding social and geophysical vulnerability. Journal of Applied Volcanology 4(14):1-18. Read More
- Henquinet, Kari B. (2014). “Reformulating Participation in Nigerien Development Programs: An Examination of Conflicting Messages Concerning Gender and Class.” In Beyond The Boundaries: Toyin Falola and the Art Of Genre-Bending. Nana Amponsah, ed. Trenton, NJ: Africa World Press. Read More
- Henquinet, Kari Bergstrom. (2013). “Translating Women's Rights in Niger: What Happened to the ‘Radical Challenge to Patriarchy?’” In Worlds of Human Rights: The Ambiguities of Rights Claiming in Africa. Bill Derman, Anne Hellum, and Kristin Bergtora Sandvik, eds. Leiden: Brill. Read More
- Henquinet, Kari Bergstrom. (2007). “The Rise of Wife Seclusion in Rural South-Central Niger.” Ethnology 46(1):57-80.
- Bergstrom, Kari. (2002). “Legacies of Colonialism and Islam for Hausa Women: An Historical Analysis, 1804 to 1960.” WID Working Paper 276. East Lansing, MI: Women and International Development, Michigan State University. Read More
- Gregory, I., Debats, D., and Lafreniere, D, eds. 2018. The Routledge Companion to Spatial History. London: Routledge, ISBN: 978-1138860148
- Arnold, J., and Lafreniere, D. 2018 Creating a Longitudinal, Data-Driven 3D Model of Change Over Time in a Postindustrial Landscape Using GIS and CityEngine . Journal of Cultural Heritage Management and Sustainable Development, Vol. 7, no. 4
- Lutz, J., Lafreniere, D., Harvey, M., Dunae, P., Gilliland, J. 2018 "'A City of White Race Occupies its Place' Kanaka Row, Chinatown, and the Indian Quarter in Victorian Victoria" in Ian Gregory, Don Debats, and Don Lafreniere, eds., The Routledge Companion to Spatial History. London: Routledge, 320-348.
- Lafreniere, D., and Gilliland, J. 2018. Following Workers of the Industrial City across a Decade: Residential, Occupational, and Workplace Mobilities from 1881-1891 in Ian Gregory, Don Debats, and Don Lafreniere, eds., The Routledge Companion to Spatial History. London: Routledge, 299-319.
- Arnold, J., and Lafreniere, D. 2018. The Persistence of Time: Vernacular Preservation of the Postindustrial Landscape. Change Over Time: An International Journal of Conservation and the Built Environment , Vol. 7, no. 2: 114-133.
- Baeten, J., Langston, N., and Lafreniere, D. 2018. A Spatial Evaluation of Historic Iron Mining Impacts on Current Impaired Waters in Lake Superior's Mesabi Range . AMBIO- Journal of the Human Environment, Vol. 47, no. 2: 231-244.
- Sadler. R, and Lafreniere D. 2017. You are where you live: Methodological Challenges to Measuring Children’s Exposure to Hazards . Journal of Children and Poverty, Vol. 23, no. 2: 189-198.
- Sadler. R, and Lafreniere, D. 2017. Racist Housing Practices as a Precursor to Uneven Neighborhood Change in a Post-Industrial City . Housing Studies, Vol. 32, no. 2: 186-208
- Baeten. J, Langston, N, and Lafreniere, D. 2016. A Geospatial Approach to Uncovering the Hidden Waste Footprint of Lake Superior's Mesabi Iron Range . The Extractive Industries and Society, Vol. 3, no. 4: 1031-1045
- Van Allen, N. and Lafreniere, D. 2016 Rebuilding the Landscape of the Rural Post Office: A Geospatial Analysis of 19th Century Postal Space and Networks . Rural Landscapes: Society, Environment, History, Vol. 3, no. 1: 2, 1-19
- Oiamo, T., Lafreniere, D., and Parr, J. 2016 “The Making of a Key North American Environment of Mobility: the Windsor-Detroit Borderland.” In Colin Coates, Jay Young, and Ben Bradley, eds., Moving Natures: Mobility and the Environment in Canadian History. Calgary: University of Calgary Press, 175-198
- Lafreniere, D. and Gilliland, J. 2015. All the World's a Stage: A GIS Framework for Recreating Personal Time-Space from Qualitative and Quantitative Sources . Transactions in GIS, Vol. 19, no. 2: 225-246.
- Dunae, P., Lafreniere, D., Gilliland, J., and Lutz, J. 2013. Dwelling Places, Social Spaces: Revealing the Environments of Urban Workers in Victoria using Historical GIS . Labour/Le Travail, Vol. 72: 37-73.
- Ridge, M., Lafreniere, D., and Nesbit, S. 2013. Creating Deep Maps and Spatial Narratives through Design. International Journal of Humanities and Arts Computing, Vol. 7: 176-189.
- Lutz, J., Dunae, P., Gilliland, J., Lafreniere, D., and Harvey, M. 2013. “Turning Space Inside Out: Spatial History and Race in Victorian Victoria.” In Jennifer Bonnell and Marcel Fortin, eds., Historical GIS Research in Canada. Calgary: University of Calgary Press, 1-26.
- Dunae, P., Lutz, J., Lafreniere, D., and Gilliland, J. 2011. Making the Inscrutable, Scrutable: Race and Space in Victoria’s Chinatown, 1891. B.C. Studies, no. 169: 51-80.
- Lafreniere, D., and Rivet, D. 2010. Rescaling the Past through Mosaic Historical Cartography. Journal of Maps, Vol. 6, no. 1: 417-422.
- Thistle, J. and N. Langston. 2015. “Entangled histories: Iron ore mining in Canada and the United States. ” Extractive Industries and Society Pre-print publication 14 July 2015; 10.1016/j.exis.2015.06.00 Read More
- Mårald, E., N. Langston, A. Stens, and J. Moen. 2015. “Changing ideas in forestry: a comparison of concepts in Swedish and American forestry journals during the early 20th and 21st centuries.” Ambio. Read More
- Steen-Adams, M. M., Langston, N., Adams, M. D., & Mladenoff, D. J. 2015. “Historical framework to explain long-term coupled human and natural system feedbacks: application to a multiple-ownership forest landscape in the northern Great Lakes region, USA.” Ecology and Society, 20(1). Read More
- Nancy Langston. 2013. Mining the Boreal North. American Scientist. April
- Nancy Langston. 2010. Toxic Bodies: Hormone Disruptors and the Legacy of DES. New Haven: Yale University Press. Read More
- Langston, N. 2015. “Thinking Like A Microbe: Borders and Environmental History.” Canadian Historical Review. 95(4): 592-603 Read More
- Michelle Steen-Adams, David J. Mladenoff, Nancy E. Langston, Feng Liu, and Jun Zhu. 2011. “Influence of Biophysical Factors and Differences in Ojibwe Reservation Versus Euro-American Social Histories on Forest Landscape Change in Northern Wisconsin, USA.” Landscape Ecology 26 (8) (August 21): 1165-1178. Read More
- Michelle Steen-Adams, N. Langston, and D. J. Mladenoff. 2010. “Logging the Great Lakes Indian Reservations: The Case of the Bad River Band of Ojibwe.” American Indian Culture and Research Journal 34: 41-66. Read More
Patrick E. Martin
- Patrick E. Martin. 2012. “Industrial Archaeology.” In Industrial Heritage Re-tooled. The TICCIH Guide to Industrial Heritage Conservation. James Douet, (ed.) TICCIH.
- Patrick E. Martin. 2012. “Industrial Archaeology and the West Point Foundry.” In IA, Journal of the Society for Industrial Archeology 35, 1 & 2, 5-8.
- Patrick E. Martin. 2011. “Industrial Heritage Preservation Organizations and Institutions.” In Forum Journal, 25, No. 3. 25-31. National Trust for Historic Preservation, Washington DC.
- Patrick E. Martin. 2009. “Industrial Archaeology.” In The International Handbook of Historical Archaeology, Teresita Majewski and David Gaimster (eds), 285-297. Springer.
Audrey L. Mayer
- Mu B, HW Li, AL Mayer, RZ He, GH Tian. 2017. Dynamic changes of green-space connectivity based on remote sensing and graph theory: a case study in Zhengzhou, China. Acta Ecologica Sinica 37(14):13pp. [In Chinese]
- Mayer AL. 2017. A scientist on any schedule. Science 355(6323):426. Read More
- Lind-Riehl J, AL Mayer, AM Wellstead, O Gailing. 2016. Hybridization, agency discretion, and the implementation of the Endangered Species Act. Conservation Biology 30(6):1288-1296 Read More
- Mayer AL, B Buma, A Davis, SA Gagné, EL Loudermilk, R Scheller, F Schmiegelow, Y Wiersma, J Franklin. 2016. How landscape ecology informs global land-change science and policy. BioScience 66(6):458-469. Read More
- Vaidya A and AL Mayer. 2016. Criteria and indicators for a bioenergy production industry via stakeholder participation. International Journal of Sustainable Development and World Ecology 23(6):526-540. Read More
- Vaidya A and AL Mayer. 2016. Use of a participatory approach to develop a regional assessment tool for bioenergy production. Biomass & Bioenergy 94:1-11. Read More
- Vaidya A and AL Mayer. 2016. Critical review of the Millennium Project in Nepal. Sustainability 8(10):1043-. Read More
- Rahman SMM and AL Mayer. 2016. Policy compliance recommendations for international shipbreaking treaties for Bangladesh. Marine Policy 73:122-129. Read More
- Rahman SMM, R Handler, AL Mayer. 2016. Life Cycle Assessment of steel in the ship recycling industry in Bangladesh. Journal of Cleaner Production 135:963-971. Read More
- Mu B, AL Mayer, R He, G Tian. 2016. Land use dynamics and policy implications in Central China: a case study of Zhengzhou. Cities 58:39-49. Read More
- Rouleau MD, JF Lind-Riehl, MN Smith, AL Mayer. 2016. Failure to communicate: Inefficiencies in voluntary incentive programs for private forest owners in Michigan. Forests 7(9):199-. Read More
- Hermann DL, WD Shuster, AL Mayer, AS Garmestani. 2016. Sustainability for shrinking cities (Introduction to Special Issue). Sustainability 8(9):911. Read More
- Lind-Riehl J, S Jeltema, M Morrison, G Shirkey, AL Mayer, MD Rouleau, and R Winkler. 2015. Family legacies and community networks shape private forest management. Land Use Policy 45:95-102. Read More
- Toppinen A, A Virtanen, AL Mayer and A Tuppura. 2015. Standardizing CSR via ISO 26000: empirical insights from the forest industry. Sustainable Development 23(3):153-166. Read More
- Tortini R, AL Mayer, and P Maianti. 2015. Using an OBCD approach and Landsat TM data to detect harvesting on nonindustrial private property in upper Michigan. Remote Sensing 7(6):7809-7825. Read More
- Rahman SMM and AL Mayer. 2015. How social ties influence metal resource flows in the Bangladesh ship recycling industry. Resources, Conservation and Recycling 104(A):254-264. Read More
- Hu Y, G Tian, AL Mayer, R He. 2015. Risk assessment of soil erosion by application of remote sensing and GIS in Yanshan Reservoir catchment, China. Natural Hazards 79(1):277-289. Read More
- Kline KL, FS Martinelli, AL Mayer, R Medeiros, COF Oliveira, G Sparovek, ACS Walter, L Venier. 2015. Bioenergy and biodiversity: Key lessons from the Pan American region. Environmental Management 56(6):1377:1396. Read More
- Mayer AL. 2015. Biology in Environmental Management. Pp. 47-73 in Sarkar D, Mukherjee A, Bedwan N, Datta R, Hannigan R (eds.), An Integrated Approach to Environmental Management. John Wiley & Sons, Inc., Hoboken, NJ. Read More
Kelly Boyer Ontl
- Pruetz, JD., Boyer Ontl, K., Cleaveland, E., Lindshield, S., Marshack, J., and Wessling, EG. (2017) “Inferred, within-group lethal aggression in West African chimpanzees (Pan troglodytes verus) at Fongoli, Senegal”. International Journal of Primatology. Read More
- Pruetz, JD., Bertaloni, P., Boyer Ontl, K., Lindshield, S. Shelley, M., and Wessling, EG. (2015) “New evidence on the tool-assisted hunting exhibited by chimpanzees (Pan troglodytes verus) in a savanna habitat at Fongoli, Senegal." Royal Society Open Science, 2 (4), 140507.
- Boyer-Ontl, KM and Pruetz, JD. (2014) Giving the Forest Eyes: The Benefits of Using Camera Traps to Study Unhabituated Chimpanzees (Pan troglodytes verus) in Southeastern Senegal. International Journal of Primatology, 1-14.
Fredric L. Quivik
- Fredric L. Quivik, "Cooling Mass Concrete: Owyhee, Hoover, and Building Large Dams," Engineering History & Heritage, 166, EH4.
- Fredric L. Quivik. 2011. “Overcoming Barriers: Milk River Irrigation Project, Montana,” Engineering History and Heritage 164.EH4: 245-254.
- Fredric L. Quivik. 2009. “Engineering Nature: the Souris River and the Production of Migratory Waterfowl,” History and Technology 25.4: 307-323.
- Fredric L. Quivik. 2007. “The Industrial Undergirding to the Vernacular Architecture of Butte and Anaconda,” Coming Home, Patty Dean, ed., (Helena, MT: Drumlummon Institute, 2009)
- Fredric L. Quivik. 2007. “The Historical Significance of Tailings and Slag: Industrial Waste as Cultural Resource,” IA: The Journal of the Society for Industrial Archeology 33.2: 35-54.
Jonathan E. Robins
- Cotton and Race across the Atlantic: Britain, Africa, and America, 1900-1920 (University of Rochester Press: Rochester, 2016) Read More
- Robins, Jonathan. “Lancashire and the ‘Undeveloped Estates’: Cotton and development in the British Empire,” Journal of British Studies 54, vol. 5 (2015) Read More
- Robins, Jonathan. “ ‘A Common Brotherhood for their Mutual Benefit’: Sir Charles Macara and the Internationalization of the Cotton Industry.” Enterprise and Society 16, vol. 4 (2015), 847-888. Read More
- Robins, Jonathan. “Coercion and Resistance in the Colonial Market: Cotton in Britain’s African Empire,” in Jonathan Curry-Machado (ed.), Global Histories, Imperial Commodities, Local Interactions, pp. 100-120. London: Palgrave Macmillan, 2013. Read More
- Jonathan E. Robins. 2012. “Slave Cocoa and Red Rubber: E.D. Morel and the Problem of Ethical Consumption.” Comparative Studies in Society and History 54. 3: pp. 591-611. Read More
- Jonathan E. Robins. 2010. “Colonial Cuisine: Food in British Nigeria, 1900-1914.” Cultural Studies – Critical Methodologies 10. 6: 457-466. Special issue on Food and Power. Read More
Sarah Fayen Scarlett
- "Crossing the Milwaukee River: A Case Study in Mapping Mobility and Class Geographies,” in Landscapes of Mobility: Culture, Politics, and Placemaking, edited by Arijit Sen and Jennifer Johung (Farnham, Surrey: Ashgate, 2013).
- “The Craft of Industrial Patternmaking,” The Journal of Modern Craft 4, 1 (March 2011).
Timothy J. Scarlett
- Scarlett, Timothy James, Amy M. Bastion, Leslie G. Cecil, Christopher W. Merritt, and Michael Glascock. (2015). A Muddy Study: Historical Archaeology and Archaeometry for Societies in Contact. In Jaume Buxeda I Garrigós, Marisol Madrid i Fernández, and Javier G. Iñañez (eds.), GlobalPottery 1: Historical Archaeology and Archaeometry for Societies in Contact. British Archaeological Reports (BAR), International Series 2761, Archaeopress Press, Oxford, UK. pp. 397-409. Read More
- Zhao, Shan, Bowen, Patrick. K., Drelich, Jaroslaw., and Scarlett, Timothy James. (2015). Modeling “Reproducibility in Rehydroxylation of Ceramic Artifacts.” Journal of the American Ceramic Society 98(10):3367–3372. Read More
- Bowen, P. K., Drelich, J. D., and Scarlett, T. J. (2013). Modeling Rehydration/Rehydoxylation Mass-Gain Curves for Davenport Ceramics. Journal of the American Ceramic Society (2013):1-7. Read More
- Drelich, Jaroslaw., Bowen, Patrick. K., and Scarlett, Timothy James. (2013). "Effect of Humidity Instability on Rehydroxylation in Fired Clay Ceramics" Journal of the American Ceramic Society 96(4):1047-1050. Read More
- Scarlett, Timothy James and Samuel Sweitz. (2012). Constructing new knowledge in Industrial Archaeology. In Harold Mytum (ed.), Global Perspectives on Archaeological Field Schools. Springer Verlag, New York, pp. 119-145. Read More
- Bowen, Patrick K., Helen J. Ranck, Timothy J. Scarlett, and Jaroslaw W. Drelich. (2011). Rehydration/Rehydroxylation Kinetics of Reheated XIX-Century Davenport (Utah) Ceramic. Journal of the American Ceramic Society 94(8):258-2591. Read More
- Scarlett, Timothy James. (2010). What if the Local is Exotic and the Imported Mundane? Measuring Ceramic Exchanges in Mormon Utah. In Carolyn Dillan and Carolyn White (eds.), Trade and Exchange: Archaeological Studies from History and Prehistory. Springer Verlag, New York, pp. 165-178. Read More
- Scarlett, Timothy James, Michael Deegan, and Renée Blackburn. (2009). Two Seasons of Excavation at the 1865 Office Building at Scenic Hudson's West Point Foundry Preserve. IA: the Journal of the Society for Industrial Archaeology 35(1-2):105-115.
- Deegan, Michael and Timothy James Scarlett. (2008). The Conservation of Ferrous Metals from the West Point Foundry Site. Bulletin of the New York State Archaeological Association 124: 56-68.
- Scarlett, Timothy James, Robert J. Speakman, and Michael D. Glascock. (2007). Pottery in the Mormon Economy: an Historical and Archaeometric Study. Historical Archaeology. 41(4):70-95. Read More
- Scarlett, Timothy James, Jeremy Rahn, and Daniel Scott. (2006). Bricks and an Evolving Industrial Landscape: the West Point Foundry and New York's Hudson River Valley. Northeast Historical Archaeology 35:29-46. Read More
- Scarlett, Timothy James. (2006). Flowscapes of Globalization in Mormon Pioneer Utah. International Journal of Historical Archaeology 10(2):109-134. Read More
- Schelly, C. 2017. Dwelling in Resistance: Living with Alternative Technologies in America. New Brunswick, NJ: Rutgers University Press. Read More
- Prehoda, E., Schelly, C., and Pearce, JM. (2017). U.S. Strategic Solar Photovoltaic-Powered Microgrid Deployment for Enhanced National Security. Renewable & Sustainable Energy Reviews 78: 167-175 Read More
- Banerjee, Aparajita, Chelsea L. Schelly, and Kathleen E. Halvorsen. (2017). Understanding public perceptions of wood-based electricity production in Wisconsin, United States: place-based dynamics and Social Representations. Environmental Sociology. Online first, available online Read More
- Schelly, C. and Banerjee, A. (2016). Soft Energy Paths Revisited: Politics and Practice in Energy Technology Transitions. Challenges 7, 16 Read More
- Kreuze, A. Schelly, C, and Norman, E.S. (2016). To Frack or not to Frack: Perceptions of the Risks and Opportunities of High-Volume Hydraulic Fracturing in the United States. Energy Research and Social Sciences 20: 45-54. Read More
- Schelly, C. (2016) Understanding Energy Practices. Society & Natural Resources 29(6): 744-749 Read More
- Schelly, C. 2016. Crafting Collectivity: American Rainbow Gatherings and Alternative Forms of Community. Routledge. Originally printed in 2014 by Paradigm Publishers, Boulder CO. Read More
- “Pan American Highway: Roads and Politics,” Routes-Roads (forthcoming April 2012).
- “Der Pan American Highway – eine Straße zwischen zwei Kontinenten,” Zeitschrift für Weltgeschichte Vol. 12.2 (November 2011): 141-73.
- “Expertise, Politics and Highways in the U.S., 1960-2000,” Routes-Roads (April 2011) no. 350, pp. 86-91.
- “The Pre-History of the Interstate Highway Program,” Routes-Roads (October 2010) no. 347, pp. 88-91.
- “Editorial Introduction: NASA and Technology Transfer in Historical Perspective,” Comparative Technology Transfer and Society 6, no. 1 (April 2008): 1-16.
- “The Secret is the System,” Wilson Quarterly 32, no. 2 (Spring 2008): 47-49, 51-58.
- John Jaszczak and Bruce E. Seely, “Developing Nano Education at a Technological University: Science, Technology, and Societal Implications of Nanotechnology,” in Aldrin E. Sweeney & Sudipta Seal, eds., Nanoscale Science and Engineering Education: Issues, Trends and Future Directions (American Scientific Publishers, 2008), pp. 591-619.
Barry D. Solomon
- Bailis, R., Solomon, B.D., Moser, C. and Hildebrandt, T. 2014. Biofuel sustainability in Latin America and the Caribbean â€“ A review of recent experiences and future prospects. Biofuels, forthcoming.
- Litmanen, T., Solomon, B.D. and Kari, M. 2013. The utmost ends of the nuclear fuel cycle: Finnish perceptions of the risks of uranium mining and nuclear waste management. Journal of Risk Research, DOI:10.1080/13669877.2013.841727.
- Solomon, B.D. and Krishna, K. The coming sustainable energy transition: History, strategies, and outlook. Energy Policy, Vol. 39, No. 11 (November 2011), pp. 7422-7431.
- Solomon, B.D. The transition to second generation biofuels in the United States: Will it be feasible and sustainable? Geographische Rundschau (International Edition), Vol. 6, No. 4 (2010), pp. 16-20.
- Solomon, B.D., Andren, M. and Strandberg, U. Three decades of social science research on high-level nuclear waste: Achievements and future challenges. Risk, Hazards & Crisis in Public Policy, Vol. 1, No. 4 (2010), pp. 13-47.
- Solomon, B.D. and Heiman, M.K. Integrity of the emerging global markets in greenhouse gases. Annals of the Association of American Geographers, Vol. 100, No. 4 (October 2010), pp. 973-982.
- Johnson, N.H. and Solomon, B.D. A Net Present Value Analysis for a Wind Turbine Purchase at a Small U.S. College. Energies, Vol. 3, No. 5 (2010), pp. 943-959.
- Solomon, B.D. Biofuels and sustainability. Ecological Economics Reviews, Vol. 1 (2010), pp. 119-34.
Sam R. Sweitz
- Sam Sweitz. 2012. On the Periphery of the Periphery: Household Archaeology at Hacienda San Juan Bautista Tabi, YucatÃ¡n, Mexico. Contributions to Global Historical Archaeology series, Charles Orser, Jr. editor, Springer, New York. Read More
- Sam Sweitz. 2012. "Consumer Strategy and Household Consumption in the Cripple Creek Mining District, Colorado, USA." International Journal of Historical Archaeology 16(1):227-266.
- Timothy J. Scarlett and Sam Sweitz. 2011. "Constructing New Knowledge in Industrial Archaeology." In Archaeological Field Schools: Constructing Knowledge and Experience, H. Mytum, editor, pp. 119-146. Springer, New York. Read More
- Sam Sweitz. 2010. "The Production and Negotiation of Working Class Space and Place at Central Aguirre, Puerto Rico." IA: The Journal of the Society for Industrial Archaeology 36(1):24-46.
- Sam Sweitz. 2010. "A Multidisciplinary Approach to Investigating the Industrial Heritage of Puerto Rico: Research at the National Register Site of Central Aguirre." CRM: The Journal of Heritage Stewardship 7:87-91.
Steven A. Walton
- Steven A. Walton. 2013 "'My Works will be the Best in America': Peter Townsend's Cannon Foundry, 1815-25, 1815-25." New York State Museum Records, forthcoming 2017.
- Steven A. Walton, "Machinery to Match the Materials: Iron Ore Washing in Pennsylvania," IA: Journal for the Society for Industrial Archaeology 41.1 (2017 [for 2015]): tba.
- Steven A. Walton, "Technologies of Pow(d)er: Military Mathematical Practitioners’ Strategies and Self-Presentation," in L. Cormack, S. Walton, and J. Schuster (eds.), Mathematical Practitioners and the Transformation of Natural Knowledge in Early Modern Europe, Studies in History and Philosophy of Science vol. 45 (Dordrecht: Springer, 2017), pp. 87-113. Date: 16 March 2017 Read More
- Steven A. Walton.  “Testing the Revolution in a Civil War: Developments in Heavy Artillery, 1830-1860,” in Barton C. Hacker (ed.), Astride Two Ages: Technology in the American Civil War (Washington, DC: Smithsonian Institution Press, 2015), pp. ###. Read More
- Steven A. Walton and Thomas E. Boothby. 2014. “What is straight cannot fall: Gothic architecture, Scholasticism, and dynamics,” History of Science 52.4, no. 173 (2014): 347–376. Read More
- Steven A. Walton. 2010. “State Building through Building for the State: domestic and foreign expertise in Tudor fortifications.” In Expertise and the Early Modern State, edited by Eric Ash, Osiris 25 (2010): 66-84. Read More
- Steven A. Walton. 2009 . "Founding a Foundry: the Diary of the Setting-Out of the West Point Foundry." Industrial Archaeology: Theme Issue: West Point Foundry 35.1/2: 25-38. Read More
Adam M. Wellstead
- Carson, D. and A. Wellstead. (Accepted) Policy Work at Risk: The Case of the Northern Territory, Australia. Australian Journal of Public Administration.
- Evans, B. and A. Wellstead. (Accepted) Tales of Policy Estrangement: Non-governmental Policy Work and Capacity in Three Canadian Provinces. Canadian Journal of Nonprofit and Social Economy Research.
- Wellstead, A. and R. Stedman. (Accepted) Addressing the Challenges of Climate Change Policy: Integrating Public Management and Public Policy Studies. International Journal of Public Administration.
- VeselÃ½, A., Wellstead. A. and B. Evans. (Accepted) Comparing sub-national policy workers in Canada and the Czech Republic: Who are they, what they do, and why it matters? Policy and Society.
- Howlett, M., Tan, S. Migone, A., Wellstead, A. and B. Evans. (Accepted) Policy Formulation and the Tools of Policy Appraisal: The Distribution of Analytical Techniques in Policy Advisory Systems Public Policy and Administration.
- Petersen, B. and A. Wellstead. 2014. Responding to a Forest Catastrophe: The Emergence of New Governance Arrangements in Southern California. ISRN Economics.
- Wellstead, A. Rayner, J. and M. Howlett. 2014. Beyond the Black Box: Forest Sector Vulnerability Assessments and Adaptation to Climate Change in North America. Environmental Science and Policy. 35. 109â€“116
- Rayner, J., K. McNutt and A. Wellstead. 2013. Dispersed Capacity and Weak Coordination: The Challenge of Climate Change Adaptation in Canada's Forest Policy Sector. Review of Policy Research. 30:1. 66â€“90.
- Newman, J., A. Perl, A. Wellstead and K. McNutt. 2013. Policy Capacity for Climate Change in Canada's Transportation Sector. Review of Policy Research. 30:1. 19â€“41.
- Howlett, J., and J. Rayner. 2013. Understanding Governance in the Forest Sector: Overcoming Latent Structural-Functionalism in Climate Change Vulnerability Assessments. Ecology and Society. 18(3): 23
- Evans, B. and A. Wellstead. 2013. Policy Dialogue and Engagement Between Non-Government Organizations and Government: A Survey of Processes and Instruments of Canadian Policy Workers. Central European Journal of Public Policy. 7:1. 60-86.
- Doelle, M., Tollefson, C., Henschel, C., A. Wellstead, and J. Smith. 2012. New Governance Arrangements at the Intersection of Climate Change and Forest Policy: Institutional, Political and Regulatory Dimensions. Public Administration. 90:1. 37-55.
- Wellstead, A. and R. Stedman. 2012.The Role of Climate Change Policy Work in Canada, Canadian Political Science Review, Vol 6, No 1 (117-124). Read More
- Howlett, M. and A. Wellstead. 2012. The Nature of Policy Work and Policy Capacity at the Sub-national Level: Evidence from Canadaâ€™s Provinces and Territories. Canadian Public Administration. 55:1. 53â€“68.
- Howlett, M. and A. Wellstead. 2012. Policy Work in Multi-Level States: Institutional Autonomy and Task Allocation among Canadian Policy Analysts. Canadian Journal of Political Science. 45:4. 757-780.
- Wellstead, A., R. Stedman, and M. Howlett. 2011. Multi-Level Policy Analytical Capacity in Canada: A Structural Equation Model (SEM) Study of Federal, Provincial and Territorial Policy Analysts and Analysis. Public Policy and Administration.
- Aubin, I. , C.M. Garbe , S. Colombo , C. R. Drever , D. W. McKenney, C. Messier, J. Pedlar, M. A. Saner , L. Venier, A. M. Wellstead , R. Winder , E. Witten , C. Ste-Marie. 2011. Why we disagree about assisted migration : Ethical implications of a key debate regarding the future of Canada's forests. Forestry Chronicle. 87. 755-765.
- Howlett, M. and A. Wellstead. 2011. Policy Analysts in the Bureaucracy Revisited: The Nature of Professional Policy Work in Contemporary Government. Politics & Policy. 39: 613â€“633
Richelle L. Winkler
- Moving to Diversity Read More
- Moving toward Integration? Effects of Migration on Ethnoracial Segregation across the Rural-Urban Continuum Read More
- How Migration Impacts Rural America Read More
- Emerging economic viability of grid defection in a northern climate using solar hybrid systems Read More
- Boom, bust and beyond: Arts and sustainability in Calumet, Michigan Read More
- Migration signatures: Net migration by age and race/ethnicity in U.S. counties, 1950-2010 Read More
- Winkler, Richelle. 2013. “Living on lakes: Segregated communities and social exclusion in a natural amenity destination.” The Sociological Quarterly 54 (1): 105-129. Read More
- Winkler, Richelle and Keith Warnke. 2013. “The future of hunting: An age-period-cohort analysis of deer hunter decline.” Population and Environment 34(4): 460-480 Read More
- Desmond, M. W. An, R. Winkler, and T. Ferriss. 2013. "Evicting Children." Social Forces 92 (1): 303-327. Read More
- Winkler, Richelle, Schewe, Rebecca and David Matarrita-Cascante. 2013. “Lakes and community: The importance of natural landscapes in social research.” Society and Natural Resources 26 (2): 158-175. Read More
- Amenity migration in the new global economy: Current issues and research priorities Read More
- Winkler, R. 2013. "Research Note: Segregated by Age: Are we becoming more divided?" Population Research and Policy Review 32(5): 717-727. Read More
- Richelle Winkler & Rozalynn Klaas (2012): Residential segregation by age in the United States, Journal of Maps, DOI:10.1080/17445647.2012.739099 Read More
- Recreational housing and community development: A triple bottom line approach Read More
- Winkler, Richelle, Shaun Golding and Cheng Cheng. 2011. “Boom or bust? How migration impacts population composition in different types of natural resource dependent communities in the rural US.” In L. Kulcsar and K. Curtis (eds.), International Handbook of Rural Demography. The Springer Series on Demographic Methods and Population Analysis. New York: Springer. Read More
- Winkler, Richelle. 2009. “Social capital and concerns facing lower income young adults in the Brainerd Lakes area.” CES4Health.info (Community Engaged Scholarship). 11/10/2009. ID#ML6SYW4F. Read More
- Winkler, Richelle L., Donald R. Field, Richard S. Krannich, A.E. Luloff, and Tracy Williams. 2007. “Social landscapes of the Inter-Mountain West: A comparison of ‘Old West’ and ‘New West’ communities.” Rural Sociology 72 (3): 478-501. Read More