Social Sciences faculty members are active researchers and prolific authors. Peruse the topics our faculty have been investigating, from food supplies to transportation to mining history, and see their recent contributions to publications, from journal articles to essays to books.
Mary H. Durfee
- “Multilateral Environmental Commitments: The Prospects for State Responsibility,” in Norman Martinez, ed., To Serve the Rule of Law: Essays in Honour of David Attard, Mare Nostrum Press, Malta, 2009
- “The Hegemon and the Professions,” International Studies Perspectives, Nov. 2006.
- “Can the Great Lakes of North America Survive Globalization?” Co-authored with Mirit Shamir. Bilateral Ecopolitics, Philippe LePrestre and Peter Stoett, editors. Ashgate: 2006.
- James Rosenau and Mary Durfee, Thinking Theory Thoroughly 2nd ed (currently working on a new version) Westview, 2000
Kathleen E. Halvorsen
- Halvorsen, K.E., D.S. Becker, C. Hinrichs, and T.A. Selfa (eds). 2011. Special Issue Biomass and Bioenergy. 35(4).
- Jensen*, J.E., K.E. Halvorsen, D.R. Shonnard. 2011. Cellulosic Ethanol, U.S. Federal Energy and Agricultural Policy, and the Diffusion of Innovation. Special Issue: Socioeconomic Dimensions of U.S. Bioenergy. Biomass and Bioenergy. 35(4)
- Johnson, D., K.E. Halvorsen, B.D. Solomon. 2011. U.S. Upper Midwestern Consumers and Ethanol: Knowledge, Beliefs and Consumption. Special Issue: Socioeconomic Dimensions of U.S. Bioenergy. Biomass and Bioenergy. 35(4)
- Becker, D.R., K. Skog, A. Hellman, K.E. Halvorsen, and T. Mace. 2009. An Outlook for Sustainable Forest Bioenergy Production in the Lake States. Energy Policy 37:5687–5693.
- Halvorsen, K.E., J.R. Barnes*, and B.D. Solomon. 2009. Upper Midwestern USA Ethanol Potential from Cellulosic Materials. Society and Natural Resources 22(10)931-938.
- Solomon, B. D., J.R. Barnes*, and K.E. Halvorsen. 2007. Grain and Cellulosic Ethanol: History, Economics, and Energy Policy. Biomass and Bioenergy. 31(6)216-25.
Kari B. Henquinet
- Kari B. Henquinet. 2014. “Reformulating Participation in Nigerien Development Programs: An Examination of Conflicting Messages Concerning Gender and Class.” In Beyond The Boundaries: Toyin Falola and the Art Of Genre-Bending. Nana Amponsah, ed. Trenton, NJ: Africa World Press. Read More
- Kari Bergstrom Henquinet. 2013. “Translating Women's Rights in Niger: What Happened to the ‘Radical Challenge to Patriarchy?’” In Worlds of Human Rights: The Ambiguities of Rights Claiming in Africa. Bill Derman, Anne Hellum, and Kristin Bergtora Sandvik, eds. Leiden: Brill. Read More
- Kari Bergstrom Henquinet. 2007. “The Rise of Wife Seclusion in Rural South-Central Niger.” Ethnology 46.1: 57-80.
- Kari Bergstrom. 2002. “Legacies of Colonialism and Islam for Hausa Women: An Historical Analysis, 1804 to 1960.” WID Working Paper 276. East Lansing, MI: Women and International Development, Michigan State University. Read More
- Lafreniere, D. and Gilliland, J. 2014. All the World's a Stage: A GIS Framework for Recreating Personal Time-Space from Qualitative and Quantitative Sources. Transactions in GIS, DOI: 10.1111/tgis.12089
- Oiamo, T., Lafreniere, D., and Parr, J. (in press) “The Making of a Key North American Environment of Mobility: the Windsor-Detroit Borderland.” In Colin Coates, Jay Young, and Ben Bradley, eds., Moving Natures: Mobility and the Environment in Canadian History. Calgary: University of Calgary Press.
- Dunae, P., Lafreniere, D., Gilliland, J., and Lutz, J. 2013. Dwelling Places, Social Spaces: Revealing the Environments of Urban Workers in Victoria using Historical GIS. Labour/Le Travail, Vol. 72: 37-73.
- Ridge, M., Lafreniere, D., and Nesbit, S. 2013. Creating Deep Maps and Spatial Narratives through Design. International Journal of Humanities and Arts Computing, Vol. 7: 176-189.
- Lutz, J., Dunae, P., Gilliland, J., Lafreniere, D., and Harvey, M. 2013. “Turning Space Inside Out: Spatial History and Race in Victorian Victoria.” In Jennifer Bonnell and Marcel Fortin, eds., Historical GIS Research in Canada. Calgary: University of Calgary Press, 1-26.
- Dunae, P., Lutz, J., Lafreniere, D., and Gilliland, J. 2011. Making the Inscrutable, Scrutable: Race and Space in Victoria’s Chinatown, 1891. B.C. Studies, no. 169: 51-80.
- Lafreniere, D., and Rivet, D. 2010. Rescaling the Past through Mosaic Historical Cartography. Journal of Maps, Vol. 6, no. 1: 417-422.
- Nancy Langston. 2010. Toxic Bodies: Hormone Disruptors and the Legacy of DES. New Haven: Yale University Press. Read More
- Nancy Langston. 2003. Where Land and Water Meet: A Western Landscape Transformed. Seattle: University of Washington Press. Read More
- Nancy Langston. 1995. Forest Dreams, Forest Nightmares: The Paradox of Old Growth in the Inland West. Seattle: University of Washington Press. Read More
- Nancy Langston. 2013. Mining the Boreal North. American Scientist. April in press.
- Michelle Steen-Adams, David J. Mladenoff, Nancy E. Langston, Feng Liu, and Jun Zhu. 2011. “Influence of Biophysical Factors and Differences in Ojibwe Reservation Versus Euro-American Social Histories on Forest Landscape Change in Northern Wisconsin, USA.” Landscape Ecology 26 (8) (August 21): 1165-1178. Read More
- Michelle Steen-Adams, N. Langston, and D. J. Mladenoff. 2010. “Logging the Great Lakes Indian Reservations: The Case of the Bad River Band of Ojibwe.” American Indian Culture and Research Journal 34: 41-66. Read More
Patrick E. Martin
- Patrick E. Martin. 2012. “Industrial Archaeology.” In Industrial Heritage Re-tooled. The TICCIH Guide to Industrial Heritage Conservation. James Douet, (ed.) TICCIH.
- Patrick E. Martin. 2012. “Industrial Archaeology and the West Point Foundry.” In IA, Journal of the Society for Industrial Archeology 35, 1 & 2, 5-8.
- Patrick E. Martin. 2011. “Industrial Heritage Preservation Organizations and Institutions.” In Forum Journal, 25, No. 3. 25-31. National Trust for Historic Preservation, Washington DC.
- Patrick E. Martin. 2009. “Industrial Archaeology.” In The International Handbook of Historical Archaeology, Teresita Majewski and David Gaimster (eds), 285-297. Springer.
Audrey L. Mayer
- Henareh Khalyani A, AL Mayer, and ES Norman. In press. Water flows towards power: Socioecological degradation of Lake Urmia, Iran. Society and Natural Resources.
- Vaidya A and AL Mayer. In press. Use of the participatory approach to develop sustainability assessments for natural resource management. International Journal of Sustainable Development and World Ecology. Read More
- Roy AH, LK Rhea, AL Mayer, WD Shuster, JJ Beaulieu, MA Hopton, MM Morrison, and A St. Amand. 2014. How much is enough? Minimal responses of water quality and stream biota to retrofit stormwater management in a suburban neighborhood. PLoS ONE 9(1):e85011. Read More
- Henareh Khalyani A, AL Mayer, MJ Falkowski, and D Muralidharan. 2013. Deforestation and landscape structure changes in relation to socioeconomic dynamics and climate change in Zagros forests. Journal of Land Use Science 8(3):321-340.
- Henareh Khalyani A and AL Mayer. 2013. Spatial and temporal deforestation dynamics of Zagros forests (Iran) from 1972 to 2009. Landscape and Urban Planning 117:1-12.
- Mayer AL and MD Rouleau. 2013. ForestSim model of impacts of smallholder dynamics: forested landscapes of the Upper Peninsula of Michigan. International Journal of Forestry Research, article ID 520207, 13pp. Read More
- Henareh Khalyani A, AL Mayer, CR Webster, and MJ Falkowski. 2013. Protection impact assessment at two scales in the Bozin and Marakhil protected area, Iran. Ecological Indicators 25:99-107.
- Henareh Khalyani A, MJ Falkowski, and AL Mayer. 2012. Classification of Landsat images based on spectral and topographic variables for land cover change detection in Zagros forests. International Journal of Remote Sensing 33(21):6956-6974.
- Schubert JR and AL Mayer. 2012. Peer influence of nonindustrial private forest owners in the Western Upper Peninsula of Michigan. Open Journal of Forestry 2(3):147-155.
- Mayer AL, WD Shuster, JJ Beaulieu, ME Hopton, LK Rhea, AH Roy, HW Thurston. 2012. Building green infrastructure via citizen participation – a six-year study in the Shepherd Creek (Ohio, USA). Environmental Practice 14(1):57-67.
- Mayer AL and RD Lopez. 2011. Use of remote sensing to support forest and wetlands policies in the USA. Remote Sensing 3(6):1211-1233.
- Ståhls MH, AL Mayer, PM Tikka, PE Kauppi. 2010. Disparate geography of consumption, production, and environmental impacts: Forest products in Finland 1991-2007. Journal of Industrial Ecology 14(4):576-585.
- Mayer AL, L Vihermaa, N Nieminen, A Luomi, M Posch. 2009. Epiphytic macrolichen community correlates with modeled air pollutants and forest conditions. Ecological Indicators 9:992-1000.
- Mayer AL. 2008. Ecologically-based approaches to evaluate the sustainability of industrial systems. International Journal of Sustainable Society 1(2):117-133.
- Mayer AL. 2008. Strengths and weaknesses of common sustainability indices for multidimensional systems. Environment International 34:277-291.
Fredric L. Quivik
- Fredric L. Quivik. 2009. “Overcoming Barriers: Milk River Irrigation Project, Montana,” Engineering History and Heritage 164.EH4: 245-254.
- Fredric L. Quivik. 2009. “Engineering Nature: the Souris River and the Production of Migratory Waterfowl,” History and Technology 25.4: 307-323.
- Fredric L. Quivik. 2007. “The Industrial Undergirding to the Vernacular Architecture of Butte and Anaconda,” Coming Home, Patty Dean, ed., (Helena, MT: Drumlummon Institute, 2009)
- Fredric L. Quivik. 2007. “The Historical Significance of Tailings and Slag: Industrial Waste as Cultural Resource,” IA: The Journal of the Society for Industrial Archeology 33.2: 35-54.
Jonathan E. Robins
- Book manuscript (under review): The Black Man's Crop: Cotton and Development in the Atlantic World, 1900-1920
- Robins, Jonathan. “Coercion and Resistance in the Colonial Market: Cotton in Britain’s African Empire,” in Jonathan Curry-Machado (ed.), Global Histories, Imperial Commodities, Local Interactions, pp. 100-120. London: Palgrave Macmillan, 2013. Read More
- Jonathan E. Robins. 2012. “Slave Cocoa and Red Rubber: E.D. Morel and the Problem of Ethical Consumption.” Comparative Studies in Society and History 54. 3: pp. 591-611. Read More
- Jonathan E. Robins. 2010. “Colonial Cuisine: Food in British Nigeria, 1900-1914.” Cultural Studies – Critical Methodologies 10. 6: 457-466. Special issue on Food and Power. Read More
Timothy J. Scarlett
- Scarlett, Timothy James and Samuel Sweitz. (2011). Constructing new knowledge in Industrial Archaeology. In Harold Mytum (ed.), Archaeological Field Schools: Constructing Knowledge and Experience. Springer Verlag, New York, pp. 119-145. Read More
- Bowen, Patrick K., Helen J. Ranck, Timothy J. Scarlett, and Jaroslaw W. Drelich. (2011). Rehydration/Rehydroxylation Kinetics of Reheated XIX-Century Davenport (Utah) Ceramic. Journal of the American Ceramic Society 94(8):258-2591. Read More
- Scarlett, Timothy James. (2010). What if the Local is Exotic and the Imported Mundane? Measuring Ceramic Exchanges in Mormon Utah. In Carolyn Dillan and Carolyn White (eds.), Trade and Exchange: Archaeological Studies from History and Prehistory. Springer Verlag, New York, pp. 165-178. Read More
- Scarlett, Timothy James, Michael Deegan, and Renée Blackburn. (2009). Two Seasons of Excavation at the 1865 Office Building at Scenic Hudson's West Point Foundry Preserve. IA: the Journal of the Society for Industrial Archaeology 35(1-2):105-115.
- Deegan, Michael and Timothy James Scarlett. (2008). The Conservation of Ferrous Metals from the West Point Foundry Site. Bulletin of the New York State Archaeological Association 124: 56-68.
- Scarlett, Timothy James, Robert J. Speakman, and Michael D. Glascock. (2007). Pottery in the Mormon Economy: an Historical and Archaeometric Study. Historical Archaeology. 41(4):70-95. Read More
- Scarlett, Timothy James, Jeremy Rahn, and Daniel Scott. (2006). Bricks and an Evolving Industrial Landscape: the West Point Foundry and New York's Hudson River Valley. Northeast Historical Archaeology 35:29-46. Read More
- Scarlett, Timothy James. (2006). Flowscapes of Globalization in Mormon Pioneer Utah. International Journal of Historical Archaeology 10(2):109-134. Read More
- Bowen, P. K., Drelich, J. D., and Scarlett, T. J. (2013). Modeling Rehydration/Rehydoxylation Mass-Gain Curves for Davenport Ceramics. Journal of the American Ceramic Society (2013):1-7. Read More
- “Pan American Highway: Roads and Politics,” Routes-Roads (forthcoming April 2012).
- “Der Pan American Highway – eine Straße zwischen zwei Kontinenten,” Zeitschrift für Weltgeschichte Vol. 12.2 (November 2011): 141-73.
- “Expertise, Politics and Highways in the U.S., 1960-2000,” Routes-Roads (April 2011) no. 350, pp. 86-91.
- “The Pre-History of the Interstate Highway Program,” Routes-Roads (October 2010) no. 347, pp. 88-91.
- “Editorial Introduction: NASA and Technology Transfer in Historical Perspective,” Comparative Technology Transfer and Society 6, no. 1 (April 2008): 1-16.
- “The Secret is the System,” Wilson Quarterly 32, no. 2 (Spring 2008): 47-49, 51-58.
- John Jaszczak and Bruce E. Seely, “Developing Nano Education at a Technological University: Science, Technology, and Societal Implications of Nanotechnology,” in Aldrin E. Sweeney & Sudipta Seal, eds., Nanoscale Science and Engineering Education: Issues, Trends and Future Directions (American Scientific Publishers, 2008), pp. 591-619.
Barry D. Solomon
- Bailis, R., Solomon, B.D., Moser, C. and Hildebrandt, T. 2014. Biofuel sustainability in Latin America and the Caribbean – A review of recent experiences and future prospects. Biofuels, forthcoming.
- Litmanen, T., Solomon, B.D. and Kari, M. 2013. The utmost ends of the nuclear fuel cycle: Finnish perceptions of the risks of uranium mining and nuclear waste management. Journal of Risk Research, DOI:10.1080/13669877.2013.841727.
- Solomon, B.D. and Krishna, K. The coming sustainable energy transition: History, strategies, and outlook. Energy Policy, Vol. 39, No. 11 (November 2011), pp. 7422-7431.
- Solomon, B.D. The transition to second generation biofuels in the United States: Will it be feasible and sustainable? Geographische Rundschau (International Edition), Vol. 6, No. 4 (2010), pp. 16-20.
- Solomon, B.D., Andren, M. and Strandberg, U. Three decades of social science research on high-level nuclear waste: Achievements and future challenges. Risk, Hazards & Crisis in Public Policy, Vol. 1, No. 4 (2010), pp. 13-47.
- Solomon, B.D. and Heiman, M.K. Integrity of the emerging global markets in greenhouse gases. Annals of the Association of American Geographers, Vol. 100, No. 4 (October 2010), pp. 973-982.
- Johnson, N.H. and Solomon, B.D. A Net Present Value Analysis for a Wind Turbine Purchase at a Small U.S. College. Energies, Vol. 3, No. 5 (2010), pp. 943-959.
- Solomon, B.D. Biofuels and sustainability. Ecological Economics Reviews, Vol. 1 (2010), pp. 119-34.
Sam R. Sweitz
- Sam Sweitz. 2012. On the Periphery of the Periphery: Household Archaeology at Hacienda San Juan Bautista Tabi, Yucatán, Mexico. Contributions to Global Historical Archaeology series, Charles Orser, Jr. editor, Springer, New York. Read More
- Sam Sweitz. 2012. "Consumer Strategy and Household Consumption in the Cripple Creek Mining District, Colorado, USA." International Journal of Historical Archaeology 16(1):227-266.
- Timothy J. Scarlett and Sam Sweitz. 2011. "Constructing New Knowledge in Industrial Archaeology." In Archaeological Field Schools: Constructing Knowledge and Experience, H. Mytum, editor, pp. 119-146. Springer, New York. Read More
- Sam Sweitz. 2010. "The Production and Negotiation of Working Class Space and Place at Central Aguirre, Puerto Rico." IA: The Journal of the Society for Industrial Archaeology 36(1):24-46.
- Sam Sweitz. 2010. "A Multidisciplinary Approach to Investigating the Industrial Heritage of Puerto Rico: Research at the National Register Site of Central Aguirre." CRM: The Journal of Heritage Stewardship 7:87-91.
Steven A. Walton
- Steven A. Walton and Thomas E. Boothby. 2014. “What is Straight Cannot Fall: Medieval Architectural Statics in Theory and Practice,” History of Science [forthcoming].
- Steven A. Walton.  “Testing the Revolution in a Civil War: Developments in Heavy Artillery, 1830-1860,” in Barton C. Hacker (ed.), Astride Two Ages: Technology in the American Civil War (Smithsonian Institution Press), forthcoming.
- Steven A. Walton. 2013. " 'My Works will be the Best in America': Peter Townsend's Cannon Foundry, 1815-25, 1815-25." New York State Museum Record, forthcoming.
- Steven A. Walton. 2009 . "Founding a Foundry: the Diary of the Setting-Out of the West Point Foundry." Industrial Archaeology: Theme Issue: West Point Foundry 35.1/2: 25-38. Read More
- Steven A. Walton. 2010. “State Building through Building for the State: domestic and foreign expertise in Tudor fortifications.” In Expertise and the Early Modern State, edited by Eric Ash, Osiris 25 (2010): 66-84. Read More
Adam M. Wellstead
- Rayner, J., K. McNutt and A. Wellstead. 2013. Dispersed Capacity and Weak Coordination: The Challenge of Climate Change Adaptation in Canada's Forest Policy Sector. Review of Policy Research. 30:1. 66–90.
- Newman, J., A. Perl, A. Wellstead and K. McNutt. 2013. Policy Capacity for Climate Change in Canada's Transportation Sector. Review of Policy Research. 30:1. 19–41.
- Wellstead, A. and R. Stedman. 2012.The Role of Climate Change Policy Work in Canada, Canadian Political Science Review, Vol 6, No 1 (117-124). Read More
- Doelle, M., Tollefson, C., Henschel, C., A. Wellstead, and J. Smith. 2012. New Governance Arrangements at the Intersection of Climate Change and Forest Policy: Institutional, Political and Regulatory Dimensions. Public Administration. 90:1. 37-55.
- Wellstead, A., R. Stedman, and M. Howlett. 2011. Multi-Level Policy Analytical Capacity in Canada: A Structural Equation Model (SEM) Study of Federal, Provincial and Territorial Policy Analysts and Analysis. Public Policy and Administration.
- Aubin, I. , C.M. Garbe , S. Colombo , C. R. Drever , D. W. McKenney, C. Messier, J. Pedlar, M. A. Saner , L. Venier, A. M. Wellstead , R. Winder , E. Witten , C. Ste-Marie. 2011. Why we disagree about assisted migration : Ethical implications of a key debate regarding the future of Canada's forests. Forestry Chronicle. 87. 755-765.
- Howlett, M. and A. Wellstead. 2011. Policy Analysts in the Bureaucracy Revisited: The Nature of Professional Policy Work in Contemporary Government. Politics & Policy. 39: 613–633
- Howlett, M. and A. Wellstead (Accepted for publication). The Nature of Policy Work and Policy Capacity at the Sub-national Level: Evidence from Canada’s Provinces and Territories. Canadian Public Administration.
- Wellstead, A. Howlett, M. and J. Rayner. (Accepted for publication). Beyond the Black Box: Forest Sector Vulnerability Assessments and Adaptation to Climate Change in North America. Environmental Science and Policy.
Richelle L. Winkler
- Winkler, Richelle. 2013. “Living on lakes: Segregated communities and social exclusion in a natural amenity destination.” The Sociological Quarterly 54 (1): 105-129. Read More
- Winkler, Richelle, Schewe, Rebecca and David Matarrita-Cascante. 2013. “Lakes and community: The importance of natural landscapes in social research.” Society and Natural Resources 26 (2): 158-175. Read More
- Winkler, Richelle and Keith Warnke. 2012. “The future of hunting: An age-period-cohort analysis of deer hunter decline.” Population and Environment. Published online 4/21/2012. Read More
- Richelle Winkler & Rozalynn Klaas (2012): Residential segregation by age in the United States, Journal of Maps, DOI:10.1080/17445647.2012.739099 Read More
- Winkler, Richelle, Shaun Golding and Cheng Cheng. 2011. “Boom or bust? How migration impacts population composition in different types of natural resource dependent communities in the rural US.” In L. Kulcsar and K. Curtis (eds.), International Handbook of Rural Demography. The Springer Series on Demographic Methods and Population Analysis. New York: Springer. Read More
- Winkler, Richelle. 2009. “Social capital and concerns facing lower income young adults in the Brainerd Lakes area.” CES4Health.info (Community Engaged Scholarship). 11/10/2009. ID#ML6SYW4F. Read More
- Winkler, Richelle L., Donald R. Field, Richard S. Krannich, A.E. Luloff, and Tracy Williams. 2007. “Social landscapes of the Inter-Mountain West: A comparison of ‘Old West’ and ‘New West’ communities.” Rural Sociology 72 (3): 478-501. Read More