Adam M. Wellstead
Associate Professor of Public Policy, Social Sciences
- PhD, Renewable Resources, University of Alberta, 2006
I joined the Department of Social Sciences in 2011 after a 15 year career with Canadian federal government. My background in policy and public management will contribute to the research and teaching in the Environmental Policy Program. My research interests include investigating multi-level governance arrangements in the natural resource sector, measuring policy capacity and evidence based policy-making, policy mechanisms, and theories of the policy process. I enjoy developing and conducting (primarily online) surveys and undertaking structural equation modeling using LISREL.
Links of Interest
- Environmental and Energy Policy Graduate Program
- International Political Science Association
- RC30 - Comparative Public Policy
- Policy Design Lab
- INOGOV (Innovations in Climate Change Governance)
Areas of Expertise
- Policy advisory systems
- Governance and political mechanisms
- Survey research
- Policy process frameworks
Areas of Interest
- Canadian Energy and Environmental Issues
- Climate Change Adaptation
- Oil Sands Development
- Forest Policy
- Canadian history
Selected Peer Reviewed Publications (Since 2011)
- Carson, D. and A. Wellstead. (Accepted) Policy Work at Risk: The Case of the Northern Territory, Australia. Australian Journal of Public Administration.
- Evans, B. and A. Wellstead. (Accepted) Tales of Policy Estrangement: Non-governmental Policy Work and Capacity in Three Canadian Provinces. Canadian Journal of Nonprofit and Social Economy Research.
- Wellstead, A. and R. Stedman. (Accepted) Addressing the Challenges of Climate Change Policy: Integrating Public Management and Public Policy Studies. International Journal of Public Administration.
- Veselý, A., Wellstead. A. and B. Evans. (Accepted) Comparing sub-national policy workers in Canada and the Czech Republic: Who are they, what they do, and why it matters? Policy and Society.
- Howlett, M., Tan, S. Migone, A., Wellstead, A. and B. Evans. (Accepted) Policy Formulation and the Tools of Policy Appraisal: The Distribution of Analytical Techniques in Policy Advisory Systems Public Policy and Administration.
- Petersen, B. and A. Wellstead. 2014. Responding to a Forest Catastrophe: The Emergence of New Governance Arrangements in Southern California. ISRN Economics.
- Wellstead, A. Rayner, J. and M. Howlett. 2014. Beyond the Black Box: Forest Sector Vulnerability Assessments and Adaptation to Climate Change in North America. Environmental Science and Policy. 35. 109–116
- Rayner, J., K. McNutt and A. Wellstead. 2013. Dispersed Capacity and Weak Coordination: The Challenge of Climate Change Adaptation in Canada's Forest Policy Sector. Review of Policy Research. 30:1. 66–90.
- SS5350 (Environmental Policy Analysis)
- SS5318 (Public Sector Management)
- SS4636 (The Modern State and Governance)
- FW3110 (Natural Resources Policy)
- UN2002 (Institutions)
- SS3410 (World Resources and Development)