Hiring a foreign national employee differs significantly from hiring a U. S. citizen, and requires the hiring department to obtain an employment-based visa before the individual can work in the U. S. The information in this section applies to hiring foreign nationals only.


Hiring departments are responsible for paying employment visa filing fees for the foreign national employee, specifically, H-1B and I-140 petitions.  Filling fees must not be passed on to the foreign national employee. 


Policy 2.6015 Employment of Foreign Nationals, has been published on-line at the University Policies and Procedures website. You can view the policy at:

H-1B To work in a speciality occupation, requires a higher education degree or its equivalent, this includes fashion models of distinguished merit and ability and government-to-government research and development, or co-production projects administered by the department of defense.

See University H1-B Visa Petition Process:


Check Your Case Status:

In the Check Status Box, enter your Case Number ( Starts with "WAC")

I-140 This form is used to petition for an alien worker to become a Permanent Resident in the United States

This form is used to petition for an alien worker to become a permanent resident in the United States

Permanent Resident of the United States

Michigan Tech University assists with the Employment-Based Immigration: Second Preference EB2 Special handling Process. If the employee wishes to apply  for a green card using the National Interest Waiver or Extraordinary Ability/Outstanding Researcher or Professor process, approval from the dean and chair of the hiring department is required.

Attorney fees are covered by employee, department and or school/college with these types of petitions. Please call Immigration Services to obtain attorney fees which are subject to change.

For eligibility criteria for EB2, please go to:
For eligibility criteria for EB1, please go to:


See University's Permanent Residency Petition Process :


Additional Resources