Moving Organizations to Success through Technology
Management Information System (MIS) graduates play a vital role in implementation and support of technology within organizations. Whether overseeing network security, directing Internet operations, or developing and managing information technology (IT) projects, the work is constantly changing and requires a passion for advancing technology. “The rate of employment in the MIS field is expected to grow faster than average for all occupations through the year 2016,” said the US Department of Labor Bureau of Labor Statistics in the 2008-09 Occupational Outlook Handbook.
MIS at Michigan Tech
The School of Business and Economics has designed the MIS curriculum based on familiarity with business technologies, knowledge of IT business practices, and communication with MIS alumni and experts in the field. You will be learning by interacting with decision support systems, resource and people management applications, project management tools, and database management technologies. Be prepared to tackle real-world business problems both independently and in teams. “Careers in MIS often involve translating business requirements into technical solutions. Successful professionals are able to clearly communicate the needs of the business end-user to the technical expert or programmer,” Mari Buche, Associate Professor of Management Information Systems.
Our curriculum includes the unique Business Development Experience, which give our students the practical knowledge to succeed. The School of Business and Economics from Michigan Tech is the only institution that requires students to participate in the Business Development Experience in order to fulfill their degree requirements. This is our way of giving you the best opportunities to create the future.
Apply now to get on your way to a fast-paced career in management information systems.
WHAT TO EXPECT
- Join the Association of Information Technology Professionals (AITP), a student-led professional organization based on the advancement of information technology. This is an excellent opportunity to network with IT professionals.
- Join IT Oxygen, an enterprise dedicated to developing information system and information technology solutions. Our areas of expertise include:
- Information analysis
- Software development
- Database development
- Web-based application development
- Work in an internship or cooperative experience with a company and earn credit toward your degree while getting hands-on experience
- Use your MIS skills to help a campus enterprise advance its project, product, or increase efficiency