BS with Major in Marketing
A Career Path With Creative Potential
Think marketing is all about sales? Think again. Marketing today is broad, technological, and idea-driven—from digital advertising to brand management to event promotion. It’s the branch of business for creative professionals who love communication, advertising, research, and innovation.
Does this sound like you? If so, Michigan Tech’s Bachelor of Science in Marketing is the place to start. Our program begins with the basics, and then gives you the opportunity to customize your degree with tons of unique electives—entrepreneurship, global marketing, technical communications, technology and innovation, econometrics, and more. Our program will prepare you well for a career or graduate school.
About the Program: The Michigan Tech Advantage
Studying marketing at a university with prominent technology, engineering, and science programs is a real value. You’ll benefit from Michigan Tech’s unique cross-discipline collaboration and gain the experience you need to build an amazing résumé.
- Our program is more than just classes. You’ll gain advanced knowledge and skills in business-to-business marketing, sales, research, purchasing, advertising, and more.
- Gain real-world experience through peer collaboration with our senior-level Business Development Experience—you could have the opportunity to develop and present a business plan for a Senior Design or Enterprise project.
- Take an internship or co-op to gain even more real-world experience—our students are highly sought by top automotive, accounting, engineering, and financial companies; nonprofit organizations; and government agencies.
- The Silicon Valley Spring Break experience is a one-of-a-kind trip available exclusively to School of Business and Economics students. Travel to the heart of the tech business world, tour top-level companies like Google and Cisco, meet with successful entrepreneurs, and more.
- Get involved with student organizations that fit your interests and offer great résumé experience, such as the American Marketing Association or the Michigan Tech Entrepreneurs Club.
Student Learning Goals
Per the Association to Advance Collegiate Schools of Business (AACSB), assessment of student learning is critical to the continuous improvement of our academic program. To develop a strong assessment, the School of Business and Economics established seven student learning goals all SBE undergraduates should achieve by graduation: These learning goals were designed to align with the SBE's mission statement. We emphasize direct, embedded assessment of student work in our courses. As part of our overall curriculum management, these assessment results enable us to identify opportunities to improve courses and curricula, and teaching practices.
- Critical Analysis
- Technical Competence
- Ethical Awareness
- Team Work
- Effective Communication
- Global Leadership
- Disciplinary Knowledge
Marketing offers so many different career paths, your options really are endless. Whether you want to get into business, purchasing, public relations, creative communications, research, retail, or beyond, our program will prepare you well for what comes next.
What can I do with a marketing degree?
- Public relations
- Customer relations
- Event planning
- Market research
- Brand management
Where have our graduates found work?
- Compuware Corporation
- Stryker Instruments
- Department of Defense
- J. M. Smucker Company
- Quicken Loans
- Liberty Mutual Group
- BOSS Snowplow
- Ford Motor Company
- General Dynamics
- Cedar Rapids/Iowa City Technology Corridor