Life in Houghton
Houghton, Michigan, may be smaller than some college towns, but what we lack in population we more than make up for in community spirit!
Located near the shores of Lake Superior, Houghton (and its sister city, Hancock) is part college town, part historic downtown, and part cutting-edge modern town. We have an eclectic combination of local-owned shops and eateries, high-tech companies, and awesome hometown events—music festivals, parades, and more. We don’t have a bunch of the same-old stores and chain restaurants, and that’s just fine with us—we love our size (and originality).
The community is a vibrant one, and school spirit runs deep—just attend a basketball game or tour statues during Winter Carnival and you’ll see what we mean. Michigan Tech wouldn’t be the same anywhere else on earth—and we wouldn’t have it any other way.
- Houghton has been listed as one of the best 100 places to live and received a Bike Friendly Community Designation from the League of American Bicyclists.
- The community is home to a variety of national and regional stores and restaurants (Walmart, Applebees, fast food restaurants)…and an even larger variety of great local establishments—coffee houses, international and organic cuisine, brew pubs, gift shops, and more.
- You’ll find hospitals, clinics, dentists, health food stores, and everything else you need to stay healthy while away at school.
- Houghton is home to international powerhouse firms like GE Aviation and Dematic (both have offices here specifically to have Michigan Tech students work on cutting-edge technologies).
- The community’s naturally beautiful location offers tons of opportunities for outdoor adventure: hiking, biking, skiing, snowshoeing, boating, swimming, fishing, and more. Or, simply enjoy an evening stargazing along the Lake Superior shoreline (don’t forget to watch for Northern Lights).