Visual and Performing Arts Talent Award
Visual and Performing Arts Talent Awards recognize high school seniors with exceptional talents in the arts including instrumental or vocal music, visual arts, theatre performance, technical theatre, sound design/audio production, and/or music composition.
Incoming first-year students pursuing any major at Michigan Tech who plan to actively participate in musical ensembles, stage productions, take coursework in visual arts, or work toward a degree, second degree, or minor offered through the Visual and Performing Arts (VPA) Department are welcome to apply.
Award value: Multiple students will be awarded annual scholarships valued up to $2,000 per year. The awards are in addition to other financial aid and scholarships awarded by Michigan Tech and are renewable for four years (eight semesters) of study based on active participation in the VPA Department.
Who Should Apply
High school seniors who have been accepted to Michigan Tech may present work in music (instrumental and vocal), theatrical dance, acting, sound, visual art, music composition, and technical theatre. If selected for a Talent Award, students must actively participate in musical ensembles, stage productions, take coursework in visual arts, or work toward a degree, second degree, or minor offered through the Visual and Performing Arts Department to retain the award.
Applying in Person on Preview Day
- Complete the free online application for admission.
- Complete the Talent Award registration form by March 14, indicating your plans to audition during Preview Day on March 24, 2018.
- Prepare for your audition—additional details will be sent to the email address you provide during registration starting in mid February.
Applying by Video or Digital Submission
Application Deadline and Other Important Dates
- December 1: Registration opens for in-person and electronic auditions
- February 19: Confirmation emails for in-person auditions begin to be sent.
- March 14: Last day to submit a registration form for an in-person audition (by 11:59 p.m. eastern time). You must also have an application for admission on file by this date.
- March 14: Students planning to attend Preview Day must register.
- March 21: Last day to submit an electronic audition via SlideRoom by 11:59 p.m. (eastern time).
- March 24: Preview Day—students planning an in-person audition on campus will receive audition details and location information at check in. Students will audition in the afternoon.
- April 13: Award recipients are notified; applicants not selected for an award will also be notified.
What We Are Looking For
The faculty of the Visual and Performing Arts Department is interested in hearing and seeing artistic work by students who have been accepted into any major on campus. Students are evaluated on artistic quality and proficiency of presented work. Faculty will consider needs in programs and ensembles and the ways in which student abilities can be utilized in the department.
Additional Scholarship Details
See our Financial Aid VPA Talent Award page for additional details.