Travel to Canada or Mexico - Automatic Revalidation

Most F-1 and J-1 students can travel to Canada, Mexico, and the Adjacent Caribbean Islands and re-enter the United States on an expired visa, but only if their stay is less than 30 days. This brief travel makes you eligible for automatic revalidation when you re-enter the U.S., if your remaining immigration documents are current.  

Checklist for Automatic Revalidation

  • Visiting Canada, Mexico, or adjacent Caribbean Islands for less than 30 days
  • A current I-94
  • A valid unexpired passport
  • SEVIS I-20 or DS-2019 with travel authorization signature
  • Evidence of health insurance
  • Evidence of funding
  • Copy of transcript
  • Proof of enrollment for the upcoming semester (if available)
  • Have not applied and do not plan to apply for a new entry visa at a U.S. Consulate
  • Not a citizen of Iran, Iraq, Cuba, Libya, Sudan, Syria, or North Korea

Adjacent Islands include: Saint Pierre, Miquelon, Dominican Republic, Haiti, Bermuda, Bahamas, Barbados, Jamaica, Windward and Leeward Islands, Trinidad, Martinique, and other British, French, and Netherlands territories or possessions.