John L. Irwin
Professor, School of Technology; Program Chair, Mechanical Engineering Technology
Affiliated Professor, Cognitive and Learning Sciences
Co-Advisor, Epsilon Pi Tau
- EdD, Curriculum and Instruction, Wayne State University
- MS, Occupation Education, Ferris State University
- BS, Trade-Technical Teacher Education, Ferris State University
- AAS, Mechanical Design Engineering Technology, Michigan Technological University
John Irwin is a professor and program chair of mechanical engineering technology in the School of Technology at Michigan Tech. His areas of expertise include jig, fixture, and gage design; the design and manufacture of environmental simulation chambers and A/C units for locomotives and mass-transit units; design and testing of residential axial flux alternator turbine systems, and development and training related to open source 3D printing technologies.
Irwin has been principal investigator on two Michigan Department of Education projects to improve teacher quality through the Educators’ Professional Development Institute Series, which focuses on topics in the physical sciences, and most recently is co-PI another MDE project serving as internal evaluator. In addition to advising the Delta Zeta Chapter of the Epsilon Pi Tau Honor Society, Irwin is an active member of several professional organizations: the Society of Manufacturing Engineers, the Association of Technology Management and Applied Engineering, and the American Society of Engineering Educators--Engineering Technology Division. Irwin is involved with the Greek community on campus, serving as the faculty advisor for the Sigma Tau Gamma Fraternity.
- Problem-based learning methods applied in the areas of CAD/CAM
- Static and dynamic model simulation
- Product and manufacturing work cell verification
- Parametric modeling
- Product design and development
- CAE and FEA methods
- Computer-aided manufacturing
- Irwin, J. L., Kasture, P. V., Deole, P., "CASE STUDY USING OPEN SOURCE ADDITIVE MANUFACTURING (AM) TECHNOLOGY FOR IMPROVED PART FUNCTION", (ASME/International Mechanical Engineering Conference and Exhibition, Houston, Texas, November 2015)
- Mehendale, S. S., Irwin, J. L., Marlor, R., "An Interactive Dynamics Learning Course", (2015 ASEE Annual Conference and Exposition, Seattle, WA, USA, June 14-17, 2015, June 2015), (peer-reviewed/refereed). (Published).
- Irwin, J. L., Pearce, J. M., Anzalone, G., Oppliger, D. E., "Evaluation of RepRap 3D Printer Workshops in K-12 STEM", (ASEE Annual Conference & Exposition Proceedings, Seattle, Washington, June 2015), (peer-reviewed/refereed). (Published).
- Irwin, J. L., Garg, A., "A Study of Temperature and Humidity Effects on Desktop 3D Printers", (Association of Technology, Management, and Applied Engineering, St. Louis, Missouri, November 2014), Page(s) 1. (peer-reviewed/refereed). (Published).
- Irwin, J. L., Pearce, J. M., Anzalone, G., Oppliger, D. E., "The RepRap 3-D Printer Revolution in STEM Education", (ASEE Annual Conference & Exposition Proceedings, Indianapolis, Indiana, June 2014), Page(s) 13. (peer-reviewed/refereed). (Published).
- Alexandra, G. G., Ben, W. T., John, L. X., Gerald, A. C., Oppliger, D. E., Irwin, J. L., Pearce, J., "Life-Cycle Economic Analysis of Distributed Manufacturing with Open-Source 3-D Printers", Mechatronics Journal 23 (6), 713-726, (August 29, 2013). (peer-reviewed/refereed) (Published) Read More
- Irwin, J. L., "Wind Turbine Blade CAD Models used as Scaffolding Technique to Teach Design Engineers", Engineering Design Graphics Journal 77 (No 2), 17, (October (4th Quarter/Autumn) 1, 2013). (peer-reviewed/refereed) (Published) Read More
- Irwin, J. L., Pearce, J., Anzalone, G. (2013). "Implementing Self-Replicating Rapid Prototypers (RepRaps) into a Mechanical/Manufacturing Program" Association of Technology, Management, and Applied Engineering Annual Conference, New Orleans, Louisiana (peer-reviewed/refereed) (Published) Read More
- Irwin, John L (PI)Hungwe, Kedmon Nyasha (Co-PI)Schrank, Amy J (Co-PI) "Improving Teacher Quality - Educators' Professional Development Institute Series (EPDIS) - Bilogical Sciences" submitted January 2013 sponsored by Michigan Dept of Education 04/2013 - 09/2014 $212,026
- Irwin, John L (Principal), Hungwe, Kedmon Nyasha (Co-Principal), Meyer, Michael R (Co-Principal), Oppliger, Douglas Edward (Co-Principal), Charlesworth, Paul (Co-Principal), "Improving Teacher Quality - Educators' Professional Development Institute Series (EPDIS) Physical Sciences - Physics and Chemistry," Sponsored by Michigan Dept of Education, Amount Awarded: $196,557.84. Project Dates: May 1, 2009 - September 30, 2010. Date Submitted: August 31, 2009. (Awarded).