Parents are an important part of the Michigan Tech community. Stay connected to news and events on campus through this page. Join ParentNet, a social network where you can talk to other Michigan Tech parents, ask questions, and share information important to you. To have full access to all the benefits of ParentNet you must be a member. Sign-up today.
Is your student considering Michigan Tech?
The college selection process can be confusing for both parent and student. Know the answers to these frequently asked questions and you will be prepared to help your student make the right decision for him or her.
How safe is your campus?
Michigan Tech’s emphasis on creating and sustaining a safe environment for students first drew national attention from a Reader’s Digest 2008 ranking as the safest campus in Michigan and third safest in the US. Ongoing cohesive planning and a culture of respect, empowerment, and education continue to foster our strong awareness, prevention, and response network.
- In 2015-16 Michigan Tech ranked among the 50 safest college towns in America,
- The 2016 Safest College Campuses poll ranks us the sixth safest college in Michigan based on a safe and healthy environment with little or no campus crime, drugs or alcohol use.
- Our inclusive Safety First Alert system provides rapid notifications via phone, text, or email in event of time-sensitive news or emergencies.
Where is your campus located?
We are in Houghton, Michigan,
Our setting on the Keweenaw Peninsula provides a beautiful backdrop to a world-class education. Michigan Tech is located in Houghton, and, with Hancock and the surrounding towns, has a combined population of approximately 15,000. However, with the Michigan Tech student population, it balloons to more than 22,000.
Houghton’s historical downtown features a unique blend of shops, eateries, museums, and brewpubs, while chain restaurants and major shopping outlets are a short car ride from campus. Recreational opportunities include our ski hill (lit for night skiing and snowboarding), golf course, and on-campus recreational forest and Tech Trails for cross country running, skiing, biking, and hiking. Nearby Lake Superior and inland lakes and streams offer more opportunities for relaxation.
How will I pay for a Michigan Tech Education?
Our Financial Aid Office does everything it can to help you pay for the great education you get here.
What are Michigan Tech’s Rankings?
- US News & World Report 2016 rates Michigan Tech 60th nationwide among the nation’s 173 public universities and 123rd overall among the 280 institutions ranked. Undergraduate engineering programs ranked in the top half nationwide. The report also names Tech an “A-plus School for B Students,” for the pathway to success we offer to students graduating high school with a less-than-A GPA.
- With a 94.4-percent job placement rate and more than 370 companies recruiting annually on campus, Business Insider ranks Michigan Tech 15th in the nation for mid-career salaries and 10th in starting salaries, as well as 47th in the nation for “Smartest Public School.” Tech is ranked by Smart Asset as the second best value in Michigan and 19th nationally. Payscale ranks Michigan Tech first among public universities in Michigan for mid-career salaries.
- For the fourth consecutive year Princeton Review’s Best 380 Colleges ranks Michigan Tech among the best Midwestern colleges and green colleges nationwide, as determined by nationwide undergraduate surveys.
- In addition to a US News “Best Colleges For Veterans” ranking, 28th out of 69, Washington Monthly’s 2015 College Guide ranks Michigan Tech seventh in the nation for its ROTC program and in the top 25 percent of all national universities. Michigan Tech ranked 68 overall among the 1,540 colleges and universities that award bachelor’s degrees. It ranked in the top 18 percent for students earning bachelor’s degrees who go on to earn PhDs.
Give to the Parents Fund
Your gifts to the Parents Fund greatly enhance the Michigan Tech experience for all students. Thank you for directly benefiting student activities, programs, and organizations.Make a Gift
View of the center of the campus mall from Rekhi Hall.