Gregory M. Odegard
- MEEM 930
Associate Professor, Mechanical Engineering–Engineering Mechanics
Adjunct Assistant Professor, Materials Science and Engineering
Solid Mechanics (SM) Area Director
- PhD, University of Denver
- MS, University of Denver
- BS, University of Colorado at Boulder
Gregory Odegard is an associate professor in the Department of Mechanical Engineering–Engineering Mechanics at Michigan Technological University. He holds a Bachelor of Science in Mechanical Engineering from the University of Colorado at Boulder, a Master of Science in Mechanical Engineering from the University of Denver, and a PhD in Materials Science from the University of Denver.
Odegard was a researcher at NASA Langley Research Center in Hampton, Virginia, from 2000 to 2004, when he joined the faculty at Michigan Tech. He has received numerous awards, including the Ralf R. Teetor Educational Award in 2011, the Ferdinand P. Beer and E. Russell Johnston Jr. Outstanding New Mechanics Educator Award in 2008, the Michigan Tech Outstanding Graduate Mentor Award in 2008, the Boeing/SDM Best Paper Award in 2005, and the SAMPE Outstanding Graduate Student Award in 1998.
Odegard has authored or coauthored forty-three technical journal articles and four book chapters, and has been involved in ninety-one conference presentations. According to Google Scholar, his publications have been cited nearly 1,200 times in the technical literature. His research has been funded by NASA, the Air Force Office of Scientific Research, the National Science Foundation, the National Institutes of Health, Mayo Clinic, and Titan Tires. As a PI and co-PI, he has been involved in externally funded research projects totaling $2.6 million. Odegard currently serves as the chair for two committees: the Materials Technical Committee of the American Institute of Aeronautics and Astronautics, and the Structures and Materials Technical Committee of the American Society of Mechanical Engineers.
Links of Interest
- Computational Mechanics
- Computational Materials Science
Areas of Expertise
- Mechanics of Materials
- Materials Science
- Abraham, A.C., C.R. Edwards, G.M. Odegard, T.L. Haut Donahue, “Regional and Fiber Oreintation Dependent Shear Properties and Anisotropy of Bovine Meniscus”, Journal of the Mechanical Behavior of Biomedical Materials, Vol. 4, no. 8, pp. 2024-2030 (2011) Read More
- Aifantis, K.E., S. Shrivastava, G.M. Odegard, “Transverse Mechanical Properties of Collagen Fibers from Nanoindentation”, Journal of Materials Science: Materials in Medicine, Vol. 22, no. 6, pp. 1375-1381 (2011) Read More
- Bandyopadhyay, A., P.K. Valavala, T.C. Clancy, K.E. Wise, G.M. Odegard, “Molecular Modeling of Crosslinked Epoxy Polymers: The Effect of Crosslink Density on Thermomechanical Properties”, Polymer, Vol. 52, no. 11, pp. 2445-2452 (2011) Read More
- Abraham, A.C., J.T. Moyer, D.F. Villegas, G.M. Odegard, T.L. Haut Donahue, “Hyperelastic Properties of Human Meniscal Attachments”, Journal of Biomechanics, Vol. 44, no. 3, pp. 413-418 (2011) Read More
- You, Z., J. Mills-Beale, F. Justin, S. Roy, G.M. Odegard, Q. Dai, S.W. Goh, "Nanoclay-Modified Asphalt Materials: Preparation and Characterization", Construction and Building Materials, Vol. 25, no. 2, pp. 1072–1078 (2011) Read More
- Momeni, K., G.M. Odegard, R.S. Yassar, “Nanocomposite Electrical Generator Based on Piezoelectric Zinc Oxide Nanowires”, Journal of Applied Physics, Vol. 108, no. 11, 114303 (2010) Read More
- Morrow, D.A., T.L. Haut Donahue, G.M. Odegard, K.R. Kaufman, “A Method for Assessing the Fit of a Constitutive Material Model to Experimental Stress-Strain Data”, Computer Methods in Biomechanics and Biomedical Engineering, Vol. 13, no. 2, pp. 247-256 (2010) Read More