CCM Majors and Employment
CCM majors learn a broad-based set of diverse skills and competencies preparing them for opportunities within a wide range of career positions. Our graduates work in management, industry, free-lancing, government, and non-profit organizations.
CCM provides excellent preparation for graduate studies. Students can use their CCM degree as a basis for graduate work in communication studies, media studies, and cultural studies, as well as other fields requiring strong communication and research skills such as journalism, law, public administration, business administration, etc.
CCM students have worked as communication specialists in television production, music recording and media criticism, gallery marketing and publicity, university news & sports writing, study abroad development and programming; university marketing, design, and copy editing.
If you are interested in a co-op, contact Dr. Andrew Fiss.
Why Employers Want CCM Students
Employers are looking for student like ours: smart, creative, and competent communicators who can think imaginatively, analyze urgent problems, and design viable solutions to real world issues. CCM graduates bring to the workplace a distinct set of skills.
- accustomed to working with complex ideas, instructions, and arguments,
- speak dynamically and effectively to diverse audiences;
- they bring insight to discussions, teamwork, collaborative projects in organizational settings;
- critical evaluations and comparisons of information;
- illuminate complex relationships
- recognize critical gaps and opportunities
- able to formulate innovative, creative, imaginative perspectives
- recognize and reconcile diverse perspectives
- write in well-organized persuasive, analytical and creative ways
- aware of historical, political, and cultural implications as well as the practical inter-workings of media technologies in everyday life;
- understand the conventions and expectations of media environments
- contextualize thinking;
- imagination to think about what if and what else
Listed below are some possible job titles for CCM majors following graduation (some job titles may require additional education or training).
|Account Executive||Media Buyer|
|Business Manager||Media Programmer|
|College Program Coordinator||Media Relations|
|Commentator||Print Production Coordinator|
|Community Affairs Liaison||Promotions and Publicity|
|Community Relations||Public Information Officer|
|Consumer Affairs Specialist||Recruiter|
|Corporate Trainer||Risk Communication Consultant|
|Customer Relations Representative||Sales Representative|
|Editorial Assistant||Staff Writer|
|Government Relations||Technical Writer|
|Human Resources Administration||Telemarketing Specialist|
|Information Specialist||Tour Director|
|Internet Consultant||Trainer for Communication Technology|
|Language Specialist||Web/Graphic Designer|
- National Association for Communication
- Cultural Studies Association
- International Association of Communication and Media Researchers
- International Communication Association
- Society for Cinema and Media Studies
Most professional organizations also have student chapters.