Communication, Culture, & Media Courses
Below find an informal list of typical courses in the CCM major. An official list of all undergraduate Humanities courses, their descriptions and prerequisites, can be found on the university's Course Catalog page.
In core CCM courses, students gain foundational concepts and skills that prepare them for advanced work in CCM concentrations. See the MTU undergraduate course catalog page for additional information on these and all other undergraduate Humanities courses. Below is a a sample list of core classes:
- HU 2810 - Research and Writing in Communication
- HU 2820 - Communication and Culture
- HU 2830 - Intro to Speech Communication
- HU 3800 - Communication Theory
Contemporary Culture Courses
CCM majors in Contemporary Culture learn about the power of communication, creativity, and meaning-making. Students study popular culture, cultural history, technology, power, and language in a variety of contexts including relationships, the workplace, media practices and institutions, and daily life. Below is a sample list of courses related to the Contemporary Culture emphasis:
- HU 2400 - Intro to Diversity Studies in the United States
- HU 3830 - Creativity, Culture, and Change
- HU 3840 - Organizational Communication
- HU 3850 - Cultural Studies
- HU 3860 - Popular Culture
For further detail on additional credits, please see the appropriate Degree Audit form.