MTRAC Innovation Hub for Advanced Applied Materials
The Michigan Strategic Fund has designated Michigan Tech as a Michigan Translational Research and Commercialization (MTRAC) Innovation Hub in Applied Advanced Materials. The program is focused on accelerating the creation and transfer of new technologies from research settings to practical real-world applications.
Applicants must be associated with a Michigan research university or non-profit research institute. Awards of $30-50K are available with a 1:1 match.
Advanced Applied Materials
Examples of previously supported technologies include:
- Nanowires that form a key element in the detection of foodborne pathogens
- Porous carbon electrodes for use in a blood hematocrit detection device
- TiO2 nanotubes etched on orthopedic implants to improve bone adhesion
- Carbon nanotubes used in an active noise control system for military and passenger vehicles
- A photonic modulator to improve the data transfer capacity of radio frequency / fiber optic systems
- Development of an artificial enzyme to improve medical diagnostic tests
Michigan Tech was joined in the designation by the University of Michigan’s College of Engineering Advanced Transportation Hub. Prior to receiving innovation hub designation, Michigan Tech’s advanced materials program received proposals on 37 projects, funding 14 of them with follow-on funding totaling $5.67 million. This resulted in the creation of three start-ups, 14 jobs and two licenses.
Michigan Tech’s Advanced Applied Materials Hub will receive $525,000 and the UM Advanced Transportation Hub will receive $1.7 million in funding, over a two-year period to support research projects across Michigan.
Michigan Tech researchers may apply to any MTRAC Innovation Hub in Michigan.
2017 Request For Proposals and Submission Process
Important dates, program description, training opportunities, eligibility criteria, budget period and amount, FAQs, proposal submission guidelines, templates, and forms may be found on the MTRAC page of the Campus Inventors and Entrepreneurs site under Innovation and Industry Engagement in Michigan Tech Research.