Seyed A. (Reza) Zekavat
- EERC 825
- Professor, Electrical and Computer Engineering
- PhD, Communication, Colorado State University
- MS, Communication, Sharif University of Technology, Tehran
- BS, Communication, Shiraz University, Shiraz
Seyed (Reza) A. Zekavat received his PhD from Colorado State University in 2002. He is the Author of the textbook "Electrical Engineering: Concepts and Applications" published by Pearson, and the editor of the book “Handbook of Position Location: Theory, Practice and Advances,” published by Wiley/IEEE. He holds a patent on an active Wireless Remote Positioning System. Zekavat has also co-authored two books “Multi-Carrier Technologies for Wireless Communications,” published by Kluwer, and “High Dimensional Data Analysis,” published by VDM Verlag; and ten book chapters in the areas of adaptive antennas, localization, and spectrum sharing.
Zekavat is the founder of the wireless positioning lab at Michigan Tech. The lab equipment and research has been supported by the National Science Foundation, the Army Research Labs, and National Instruments. Zekavat’s research interests are in wireless communications, positioning systems, software defined radio design, dynamic spectrum allocation methods, Radar theory, blind signal separation and MIMO and beam forming techniques, feature extraction, and neural networking. He is active on the technical program committees for several IEEE international conferences, serving as a committee chair or member. He served on the editorial board of many Journals including IET Communications, IET Wireless Sensor System, Springer Inernational Journal on Wireless Networks, and GSTF Journal on Mobile Comm.. He has been on the Executive Committee of multiple IEEE conferences.
Areas of Interest
- Wireless localization systems
- Wireless power transfer
- Channel modeling
- Antenna and beamforming
- Big Data applications
- Smart building energy management
- Sensor systems
- Autonomous driving
- M. Jamalabdollahi, and S. A. Zekavat, “High Resolution ToA Estimation via Optimal Waveform Design,” IEEE Transactions on Communications, Vol. 65, no, 03, pp. 1207-1218, 2017.
- M. Jamalabdollahi, S. Zekavat, “Range Measurements in Non-homogenous, Time and Frequency Dispersive Channels via Time and Direction of Arrival Merger,” IEEE Transactions on Geoscience and Remote Sensing, vol. 55, no. 2, pp. 742-752, 2017.
- A. Torabi, and S. A. Zekavat, “Near-Ground Channel Modeling for Distributed Cooperative Communications,” IEEE Transactions on Antennas and Propagation, vol. 64, no. 06, pp. 2494-2502, 2016.
- A. Torabi, and S. A. Zekavat, and Kamal Sarabandi, “Wideband Wireless Channel Characterization for Multi-Antenna Systems over a Random Rough Dielectric Ground", IEEE Transactions on Wireless Comm., vol. 15, no. 05, pp. 3103-3113, 2016.
- M. Athi, S. A. Zekavat, and A. A. Struthers, “Real Time Signal Processing of Massive Sensor Arrays via a Novel Fast Converging SVD Algorithm: Latency, Throughput and Resource Analysis,” IEEE Sensors Journal, vol. 16, no. 08, pp. 2519-2526, 2016.
- M. Jamalabdollahi, and S. A. Zekavat, “Joint Neighbor Discovery and Time of Arrival Estimation in Wireless Sensor Networks via OFDMA,” IEEE Sensors Journal, vol. 15, no. 10, pp. 5821-5833, 2015.
- X. Li, and S. A. Zekavat, “Group-based Cognitive Radio Network Formation Without Common Channels,” IET Networks, July 2015, pp. 235 – 246.
- S. G. Ting, S. A. Zekavat and O. Abdelkhalik, “LEO satellite formation for SSP: energy and Doppler analysis”, IEEE Trans. on Aerospace and Electronic Systems, vol. 51, no. 1, Jan. 2015, pp. 18 – 30.
- S. G. Ting, S. A. Zekavat and Kaveh Pahlavan, “DOA-Based Endoscopy Capsule Localization and Orientation Estimation via Unscented Kalman Filter”, IEEE Sensors Journal, vol. 14, no. 11, 16 Sept. 2014, pp. 3819-3829.
- M. Pourkhaatoun, and S. A. Zekavat, “High Resolution Multi-band Range Estimation: Concatenated Spectrum vs. Fusion-based Methods,” IEEE Systems Journal – Special Issue on Sensor Networks for Advanced Localization Systems, vol. 08, no. 1, pp. 83-92, Mar. 2014.
- W. Xu, and S. A. Zekavat, “A High Performance Measure for Non-Line-of-Sight Identification in MIMO-OFDM-based Sensor Networks,” IEEE Systems Journal – Special Issue on Sensor Networks for Advanced Localization Systems, vol. 08, no. 1, pp. 125-130, March 2014.
- S. G. Ting, S. A. Zekavat and O. Abdelkhalik, “Space-based Solar Power transfer via LEO satellites network: Doppler Effect Analysis”, IEEE Trans. on Aerospace and Electronic Systems, in press (scheduled for Jan. 2015).
- Z. Wang, and S. A. Zekavat, “Omni Mobile Node Localization in NLOS Scenarios,” IEEE Transactions on Mobile Computing, vol. 11, no. 12, 2012, pp. 2047 - 2059.
- W. Xu, and S. A. Zekavat, “Novel High Performance MIMO-OFDM based Measures for NLOS Identification in Time-Varying Frequency and Space Selective Channels,” IEEE Communication Letters, vol. 16, no. 02, pp. 212-215, 2012.
- W. Xu, Z. Wang, and S. A. Zekavat, “Non-Line-of-Sight Identification in Wireless Localization via Phase Difference Statistics across Two Antenna Elements,” IET Communications, vol. 5, no. 13, 2011, pp. 1814 – 1822.
- Shu Ting Goh, S. A. Zekavat, and O. Abdelkhalik, “A Weighted Measurement Fusion Kalman Filter Implementation for UAV Navigation”, Aerospace Science and Technology, 20 Dec 2012, DOI information: 10.1016/j.ast.2012.11.012.
- S. A. Zekavat, and M. Buehrer, Editors, Handbook of Position Location; Theory, Practice and Advances, Wiley-IEEE Press; Sept. 2011.
- S. A. Zekavat, Electrical Engineering: Concepts and Applications, Prentice-Hall Publications, Jan. 2012,
2015 Space Solar Power Workshop @ IEEE WiSEE
- SSP 2015 Technical Program
- SSP 2015 Technical Program Abstract
- Call for Papers
- Presentation: Gary Pearce Barnhard, President & CEO Xtraordinary Innovative Space Partnerships, Inc. (SISP-Inc)
- Presentation: Dallas G. Bienhoff
- Presentation: Michael Brown, Naval Research Laboratory (Retired)
- Presentation: Lewis M. Fraas
- Presentation-1: Dr. Paul Jaffe, U.S. Naval Research Laboratory
- Presentation-2: Dr. Paul Jaffe, U.S. Naval Research Laboratory
- Presentation-3: Dr. Paul Jaffe, U.S. Naval Research Laboratory
- Presentation: Ming Lu, West Virginia University Institute of Technology
- Presentation-1: Mankins Space Technology
- Presentation-2: Mankins Space Technology
- Presentation: John R. Olds, PhD, Space Works
- Presentation: Darel Preble, Space Solar Power Institute
- Presentation: George Sowers, United Launch Alliance
- Presentation: Gail Tverberg, OurFiniteWorld.com
- Presentation: Erinn van Wynsberghe, M.Eng, B.Eng McMaster University
- Presentation: Reza Zekavat, PhD, Michigan Technological University SSP Workshop Chair and Organizer
2017 Space Solar Power Workshop @ IEEE WiSEE
- SSP 2017 Workshop Schedule, including talks
- NG Caltech Panel
- Robotic Panel: Diana, ISS Assembly and Lessons Learned
- Robotic Panel: Jaffe, Modularity in Space Assembly
- Robotic Panel: Siotras
- Presentation: Cassiopeia, SICA Design
- Presentation: Durgun, Propagation Group Georgia Tech
- Presentation: Jaffe, Power beaming 2e2
- Presentation: Jaffe 2, IAC C3.1.6 Near Term SSP Concepts and Demos
- Presentation: Tverberg, Approaching Use Energy Economic Crisis
- Video: CASSIOPeiA
- Video: Georgia Tech
- Video: Cash, Jaffe, Tverberg
- Video: Jaffe, Day2
- Video: Talk 1, Panel 1
- Video: Talk 1, Panel 1 cont2
- Video: Talk 2, Panel 1
- Video: Talk 2, Panel 1 cont2
- Video: Talk 3, Panel 1
- Video: Talk 4, Panel 1, avi