Associate Professor, Electrical and Computer Engineering
- PhD, Electrical Engineering, University College Dublin
- MSc, Electrical Engineering, Iowa State University
- BSc, Electrical Engineering, Iowa State University
Chee-Wooi Ten was born in Alor Setar, Malaysia. He received a BS and an MS in Electrical Engineering from Iowa State University, in Ames, in 1999 and 2001, respectively. Prior to completing his Master's degree, he had a summer internship with MidAmerican in Des Moines, working as an energy management system (EMS) analyst. Ten was an Application Engineer with Siemens Energy Management and Information System (SEMIS) in Singapore from 2002 to 2006. He received a PhD in 2009 from University College Dublin (UCD), National University of Ireland. His primary research interests are (1) cybersecurity for power grids, and (2) software prototype and power-automation applications on SCADA systems. He has been with Michigan Tech since January 2010 and is currently an Associate Professor. Chee-Wooi has recently served as editor for the IEEE Transactions on Smart Grid and the Elsevier Journal Sustainable Energy, Grids and Networks (SEGAN).
Links of Interest
Areas of Interest
- Power Infrastructure Cybersecurity and Protection
- Resilience Assessment of Critical Infrastructure Interdependencies
- Future Control Center Framework
- SCADA/EMS/DMS Applications
- Power Systems Engineering
- Rashiduzzaman Bulbul, Pingal Sapkota, Chee-Wooi Ten, Lingfeng Wang, and Andrew Ginter, "Intrusion Evaluation of Communication Network Architectures for Power Substations," to appear in IEEE Transactions on Power Delivery.
- Yichi Zhang, Lingfeng Wang, Yingmeng Xiang, and Chee-Wooi Ten, "Power System Reliability Evaluation with SCADA Cybersecurity Considerations," to appear in IEEE Transactions on Smart Grid.
- Yachen Tang, Chee-Wooi Ten, Chaoli Wang, and Gordon Parker, "Extraction of Energy Information from Analog Meters Using Image Processing" to appear in IEEE Transactions on Smart Grid under "Special Issue: Monitoring, Visualization, and State Estimation for Distribution Systems."
- Yonghe Guo, Chee-Wooi Ten, and Panida Jirutitijaroen, "Online Data Validation for Distribution Operations Against Cybertampering," IEEE Transactions on Power Systems, vol. 29, no. 2, pp. 550-560, Mar. 2014..
- Chen Liao, Chee-Wooi Ten, and Shiyan Hu, "Strategic FRTU Deployment Considering Cybersecurity in Secondary Distribution Network," IEEE Transactions on Smart Grid, vol. 4, no. 3, pp. 1264-1274, Sep. 2013.
- Chee-Wooi Ten, Junho Hong, and Chen-Ching Liu, "Anomaly Detection for Cybersecurity of the Substations," IEEE Transactions on Smart Grid, vol. 2, no. 4, pp. 865-873, Dec. 2011.
- Chee-Wooi Ten, Manimaran Govindarasu, and Chen-Ching Liu, "Cybersecurity for Critical Infrastructures: Attack and Defense Modeling," IEEE Transactions on Systems, Man, and Cybernetics, vol. 40, no. 4, pp. 853-865, Jul. 2010.
- Chee-Wooi Ten, Chen-Ching Liu, and Manimaran Govindarasu, "Vulnerability Assessment of Cybersecurity for SCADA Systems," IEEE Transactions on Power Systems, vol. 23, no. 4, pp. 1836-1846, Nov. 2008.
- Chee-Wooi Ten (co-PI), “Collaborative Research: CRISP Type 2: Revolution through Evolution: A Controls Approach to Improve How Society Interacts with Electricity” National Science Foundation. Total Amount: $699,796.00.
- Chee-Wooi Ten (PI), “Implementation of Unidirectional Gateway in a Substation Networked Environment (Design Phase),” Waterfall Security Solutions (Donation). Total Amount: $24,000.
- Chee-Wooi Ten (PI), “Collaborative Research: Integrated Vulnerability-Reliability Modeling and Analysis of Cyber-Physical Power Systems (Award Number: 1128512),” National Science Foundation, ECCS Energy, Power and Adaptive Systems (EPAS), Jun. 1, 2012 – May 31, 2015. Total Amount: $200,000.