Assistant Professor, Electrical and Computer Engineering
- PhD, Electrical Engineering, University College Dublin
- MSc, Electrical Engineering, Iowa State University
- BSc, Electrical Engineering, Iowa State University
Chee-Wooi Ten was born in Alor Setar, Malaysia. He received a BS and an MS in Electrical Engineering from Iowa State University, in Ames, in 1999 and 2001, respectively. Prior to completing his Master's degree, he had a summer internship with MidAmerican in Des Moines, working as an energy management system (EMS) analyst. Ten was an Application Engineer with Siemens Energy Management and Information System (SEMIS) in Singapore from 2002 to 2006. He received a PhD in 2009 from University College Dublin (UCD), National University of Ireland. His primary research interests are (1) cybersecurity for power grids, and (2) software prototype and power-automation applications on SCADA systems. He has been with Michigan Tech as an Assistant Professor since January 2010.
Links of Interest
Areas of Interest
- Power Infrastructure Cybersecurity
- Future Control Center Framework
- SCADA/EMS/DMS Applications
- Power Systems Engineering
- Yonghe Guo, Chee-Wooi Ten, and Panida Jirutitijaroen, "Online Data Validation for Distribution Operations Against Cybertampering," to appear in IEEE Transactions on Power Systems.
- Chen Liao, Chee-Wooi Ten, and Shiyan Hu, "Strategic FRTU Deployment Considering Cybersecurity in Secondary Distribution Network," IEEE Transactions on Smart Grid, vol. 4, no. 3, pp. 1264-1274, Sep. 2013.
- Chee-Wooi Ten, Junho Hong, and Chen-Ching Liu, "Anomaly Detection for Cybersecurity of the Substations," IEEE Transactions on Smart Grid, vol. 2, no. 4, pp. 865-873, Dec. 2011.
- Chee-Wooi Ten, Manimaran Govindarasu, and Chen-Ching Liu, "Cybersecurity for Critical Infrastructures: Attack and Defense Modeling," IEEE Transactions on Systems, Man, and Cybernetics, vol. 40, no. 4, pp. 853-865, Jul. 2010.
- Chee-Wooi Ten, Chen-Ching Liu, and Manimaran Govindarasu, "Vulnerability Assessment of Cybersecurity for SCADA Systems," IEEE Transactions on Power Systems, vol. 23, no. 4, pp. 1836-1846, Nov. 2008.
- Chee-Wooi Ten, Erich Wuergler, Hans-Joachim Diehl, and Hoay Beng Gooi, "Extraction of Geospatial Topology and Graphics for Distribution Automation Framework," IEEE Transactions on Power Systems, vol. 23, no. 4, pp. 1776-1782, Nov. 2008.
- Xia Yang, Myeon-Song Choi, Seung-Jae Lee, Chee-Wooi Ten, and Seong-Il Lim, "Fault Location for Underground Power Cable Using Distributed Parameter Approach," IEEE Transactions on Power Systems, vol. 23, no. 4, pp. 1809-1816, Nov. 2008.
- Ming Ni, James D. McCalley, Vijay Vittal, Scott Greene, Chee-Wooi Ten, Vijaya Sudhakar Ganugula, and Tayyib Tayyib, "Software Implementation of On-Line Risk-Based Security Assessment," IEEE Transactions on Power Systems, vol. 18, no. 3, pp. 1165-1172, Aug. 2003.
- Chee-Wooi Ten (PI), “Implementation of Unidirectional Gateway in a Substation Networked Environment (Design Phase),” Waterfall Security Solutions (Donation). Total Amount: $24,000.
- Chee-Wooi Ten (PI), “Collaborative Research: Integrated Vulnerability-Reliability Modeling and Analysis of Cyber-Physical Power Systems (Award Number: 1128512),” National Science Foundation, ECCS Energy, Power and Adaptive Systems (EPAS), Jun. 1, 2012 – May 31, 2015. Total Amount: $200,000.