Prepare for Doctoral Degree Success
The McNair Scholars Program at Michigan Tech prepares eligible undergraduate students for PhD programs by promoting student success through undergraduate research, faculty mentorship, and a series of skill building workshops. The McNair Program ultimately aims to increase diversity among faculty at higher education institutions across the country.
As a McNair Scholar, you will receive opportunities to grow and thrive in preparation for your graduate studies. We will guide your success through seminars and workshops on topics related to graduate school preparation and our McNair Course. You will conduct paid research under the guidance of a faculty mentor and have the chance to present your research at conferences. The program will also include the following opportunities for all scholars:
- McNair Summer Research Internship: eight weeks of fully funded research guided by a faculty mentor at MTU.
- Participate in research with a professor during the academic year and earn a stipend.
- Seminars led by faculty and McNair staff to assist with graduate school preparation.
- Graduate Record Examination (GRE) preparation.
- Counseling to identify financial aid for graduate school, including assistantships and fellowships.
- Assistance completing graduate school applications and writing effective personal statements.
- Supported attendance at national and regional research conferences.
- Campus visits to other graduate school programs.
- Mentoring from faculty and McNair Staff.
- Tutoring for courses and development of writing skills.
- Graduate school application fee waivers.