Budgeting Your Study Abroad
Below is a list of expected study abroad expenses. The Michigan Tech Study Abroad Coordinator will work with you to create your budget. If you plan to use financial aid and/or university scholarships, you are encouraged to contact the Michigan Tech Financial Aid office to discuss your options.
Non-refundable application fee:
- Michigan Tech study abroad application fee ($100). The fee is non-refundable under
- At the time of committing to your Michigan Tech study abroad application in ViaTRM, a non-refundable application fee in the amount of $100 will be applied to your My Michigan Tech student account. The fee will be labeled as "balance forward".
- The Michigan Tech study abroad fee is non-refundable under any circumstance, including program cancellations. If you choose to defer your study abroad application to a future term, your paid application fee will be applied to the deferred application.
Expenses that vary by program:
Tuition or program fees - included on your Michigan Tech tuition bill
- Program deposits, if applicable
- Housing deposit and housing fees, if applicable
In addition to tuition, program, and any housing fees, students should plan for these additional expenses:
- Passport, and if required, a visa
- Local transportation costs
- Meals, unless included
- Personal and incidental expenses
- Room and board
- Optional excursions, and field study courses
- Tuition and fees will be applied to your Michigan Tech bill. Follow the Michigan Tech billing due dates.
- Other fees or deposits that are owed directly to a program provider other than Michigan Tech should be paid according to the provider’s due date.
- Changes to your program may require Michigan Tech to make adjustments to your Michigan Tech bill. This may result in you owing additional fees or receiving a credit to your account; this may occur after you pay your bill. You will be notified of any changes.