Good news—there are all kinds of study abroad scholarships available. Surprisingly, some of them go unused. Don’t let that happen! Here are some of the available funding sources awaiting your application.
Michigan Tech Scholarships
College of Engineering Study Abroad Scholarship
- Students from the College of Engineering discuss how study abroad fulfill their career goals
- Students must be participating in a Michigan Tech approved study abroad program that is at least five weeks in length, a student from College of Engineering, and have a cumulative GPA of 3.0 or higher.
- Spring, Summer and Fall
- Summer term: March 1
- Fall term: April 1
- Spring term: October 15
ISA Internships Abroad Flight Scholarship
- Students must discuss why they selected an international internship and how the internship will help achieve career goals.
- Students must be participating in a summer International Studies Abroad (ISA) internships program.
- Up to $1,500
- March 1
Country Specific Scholarships
- Coach Brazilian students in an intensive English-language program that includes four weeks in Brazil. Offers travel scholarships up to $1,000
- Ooh la la! Fire up the grant search engine direct from the French Embassy and see where it takes you.
- Outstanding undergraduate and graduate students can register in this scholarship database and possibly qualify for a monthly stipend.
- A fellowship exchange program for young professionals that focuses on cultural immersion jointly funded by German and U.S. representatives and sponsored by the Department of State.
- ItaliaRail is committed to helping students study abroad in Italy—and immerse themselves in the country’s rich and dynamic culture. Italia Rail awards two scholarships of $1,000 each, plus a 3-day Italy Rail Pass for each winner.
- Offers a $2,500 stipend for semester-long and $4,000 for academic year programs. Not available for summer programs.
- Provides awards that are determined by financial need to undergraduate and graduate students that are studying abroad in Japan for a semester or a year-long program of their choice.
- If you can show financial need you may be able to receive help with study abroad costs as well as related expenses including airfare.
- A searchable database, highlighting a competitive $1,000 travel scholarship.
- NUFFIC (Netherlands Organization for International Cooperation in Higher Education), Grantfinder is the online search engine which provides a broad range of Dutch scholarships for international students who wish to come to the Netherlands.
- £500 scholarships (see current exchange rate in the $750-plus range) are awarded each year to currently registered students at US universities who will study abroad at a BUTEX member institution in the UK.
- Designed to foster future leaders, up to 40 scholars per year are financed to study for a graduate degree in Great Britain.
Institute of International Education
- Don’t let financial limits hold you back from study abroad. This program is specifically designed to broaden the student population that participates in international education programs by supporting undergraduates who might not otherwise go—including students in underrepresented fields such as those in sciences and engineering—with scholarships of up to $5,000.
- The U.S. Department of State's Gilman-McCain Scholarships provides awards of $5,000 for child dependents of active duty service members to study or intern abroad on credit-bearing programs.
- Funded by the National Security Education Program (NSEP), these scholarships provide up to $20,000 to undergraduate students from the US to study abroad in areas of the world underrepresented in study abroad.
- Go for an NSEP fellowship that provides unique funding opportunities for US graduate students to study less commonly taught languages in world regions critical to US interests, and underrepresented in study abroad. Boren Fellowships provide up to $24,000 for overseas study. The program can also provide limited funding for domestic language study that supplements the overseas component. The maximum award for a combined overseas-domestic program is $30,000.
- Receive full funding as a grad or undergrad for an intensive summer of cultural immersion and language instruction in a critical-need foreign language. The program is aimed at broadening the base of Americans studying and mastering language skills and fostering relationships between the US and other countries. The only expenses that aren’t covered are U.S. passport fees, a required medical exam, and local travel between your home and the airport for the CLS program travel.
- Apply for a grant that covers round-trip transportation, room and board, accident and sickness health benefits and other educational benefits such as books and tuition based on country and availability of federally appropriated funds. Fulbright grants cover individually designed study and research projects as well as English teaching assistant programs. Grant lengths and dates vary by country. Eligibility categories include: recent graduates, master’s and doctoral candidates, and young professionals including writers, creative and performing artists, journalists, and those in law, business, or other professional fields.
- Up to $10,000 per semester may be awarded to a student planning academically rigorous studies abroad. Strong preference is given to underrepresented students.
- If you’re planning on studying abroad in a European country during Spring/Summer 2020, Trainline wants to help you make the most of your time there – so Trainline teamed up with Eurail to give you the chance to win free train travel around Europe! Whether you want to explore more of the country you’ll be studying in, or head further afield to the many must-visit destinations on the continent, enter the competition to be with a chance of winning a free rail pass and €1,500 spending money.
- The Rainbow Scholarship awards deserving lesbian, gay, bisexual, transgender, and queer (LGBTQ+) students who aim to participate in high-quality, rigorous education abroad programs. To be considered for the Rainbow Scholarship, applicants must self-identify on the Fund for Education Abroad (FEA) scholarship application.
- INSIGHT Into Diversity is committed to improving educational equity for all students, but especially those from underrepresented backgrounds who may not traditionally be afforded the ability or opportunity to participate in a study abroad program. The scholarship award amount is $2,000. Eligibility: Be from an underrepresented group based on race, ethnicity, LGBTQ or Veteran status, or have a physical disability.
- Use this online scholarship search engine to search for scholarships by country, subject, or term specific scholarships to help fund your study abroad experience.
- If you’re passionate about social justice and plan to continue your commitment to your community activism values while abroad, then the Davis-Putter Scholarship is a perfect opportunity to fund both your studies in the USA and abroad. Engaging in social change while abroad is an amazing way to immerse in the local community and go beyond being a tourist in your destination of choice. Look for programs that align with your social issue interests and then share your passion with the Davis-Putter Fund to gain the grant to make it happen!
- We believe that travel should be accessible, not a luxury. We run multiple scholarships year-round. If you win one, we might just surprise you with a giant check!
- Check out our scholarship directory for more information about applying for study abroad grants and scholarships, as well as a big list for you to start determining which award best fits your plans. Some study abroad scholarships focus on your destination, so if funding is already on your mind when you first decide to go abroad, check out regional or country-specific scholarship and grant options.
- This scholarship program aims to support current students wishing to experience new cultures and to broaden their perspectives.
- If you’re accepted into this program, which includes a worldwide array of fellowships, internships, and study abroad programs from Berlin to Chile you’ll automatically receive a scholarship application.
- Rotary International offers academic year, multi-year, and cultural study abroad scholarships for undergraduate and graduate students. Find out what works for you.
- FundMyTravel was created for travelers, by travelers, in the hopes that more people will have the opportunity to discover their own meaningful travel experiences around the world. In this guidebook, we have compiled some useful articles, tips and ideas on how to boost your fundraising campaign. These ideas come from successful and experienced fundraisers and will help you get the most out of your FundMyTravel experience.
- This is a site for crowd funding where anyone is welcome to sign up and create a fundraising account for business, travel, education, and study abroad as long as you are willing to do a bit of self-promoting.
- Another crowd funding site for people who like to create their own webpage about their fundraiser that they have to share on social media sites to promote themselves. The donations can be received instantly with credit or debit cards or through PayPal.