The McNair Scholars Program provides eligible undergraduates with critical research experiences, as well as assistance with the graduate school application process. The McNair Program supports Scholars by focusing on three areas: academic research, graduate school preparation, and personal and professional development.
The following activities are planned for students participating in the McNair Scholars Program:
- McNair Summer Research Internship: receive a stipend for research during 8 weeks at MTU.
- Undergraduate research with a professor during the academic year: earn stipend for approved research.
- Seminars led by faculty and McNair staff to assist with graduate school preparation.
- Graduate Record Examination (GRE) preparation.
- Counseling to identify financial aid for graduate school, including assistantships and fellowships.
- Assistance completing graduate school applications and writing effective personal statements.
- Supported attendance at national and regional research conferences.
- Campus visits to other graduate school programs.
- Mentoring from faculty and McNair Staff.
- Tutoring for courses and development of writing skills.
- Graduate school application fee waivers.