Academic Policies & Procedures

Academic Advancement

Credits—Academic advancement is measured in terms of semester credit hours or, simply, credits. The number of credits required for the bachelor's degree, which varies among departments, averages about 128 semester credits. Students may receive an undergraduate degree in approximately eight semesters, depending on their semester course load and degree requirements.

Class Standing—Determined by number of credit hours.

  • First-year students 0–29.99 credits
  • Sophomore 30–59.99 credits
  • Junior 60–89.99 credits
  • Senior 90+ credits

Full-Time Load—Defined as 12–18 credits per semester. When deciding the pace of academic advancement, students should consider their cumulative course workload as well as number of credit hours. Two hours of outside preparation are expected for each hour of lecture and recitation. A student in a 4-credit class would be expected to spend eight hours weekly in outside preparation.

Maximum Credit Load—The maximum load a student may carry will be subject to the following limits:

  1. The student load is prescribed by individual departments; the maximum is 18 credits per semester.
  2. A student with a 3.00 cumulative grade point average may be permitted to take additional credits with the approval of the student's academic advisor.
  3. A student on academic probation shall not be permitted to register for more than 16 credits per semester unless approval is granted by the Dean of Students Office.

Academic Work

Attendance—Attending class is essential for academic success. The University expects students to attend all scheduled class times unless an absence is excused under this policy. For more information, please review Michigan Tech's Attendance Policy.

Absences—Students are responsible for notifying their instructors prior to missing a class and arranging a mutually-acceptable make-up procedure. In emergency situations, where students are unable to notify their instructors, students should promptly contact the Dean of Students Office for assistance. Students with an excused absence, as defined in the Attendance Policy,  will be allowed to make up missing assignments or equivalent work. 

Final Exams—Final exams are those tests scheduled for a special period following the last week of instruction which is referred to as "final exam week". This period begins and ends with the first and last officially scheduled final examinations. Each department shall designate all courses or sections of courses in which final examinations are to be given. The University shall not schedule, nor shall the students participate in, any official function during the scheduled final exam period except events whose date is beyond the control of the University. Absences from final exams need not be excused when caused by a student scheduling courses with conflicting final examination times. For more information, please review the Final Exam Policy.

Evening Exams—Regular exams are exams and quizzes that are not defined as final examinations. Evening exams are regular exams held outside of scheduled class times, usually after 6 p.m. Evening exams should be scheduled for 6-7 p.m., Monday-Thursday. The University shall not schedule classes for this time period. Please see the Evening Exam Policy for more information. 

Winter Carnival Week Exams—Hour examinations shall not be given during that portion of Winter Carnival week beginning at 6 p.m. Tuesday and ending at termination of classes on Thursday. An hour examination is taken to be any major examination comprising a significant portion of a student's overall grade and which would require major preparation.

Academic Integrity—Students who cheat, plagiarize, or fabricate data, as well as students who help others to cheat, plagiarize, or fabricate, can receive disciplinary sanctions of warning, probation, suspension or expulsion from the University, depending on the severity of the offense. For more information, see the Academic Integrity Policy.

Individual Efforts—The University expects students to work independently on individual assignments and examinations and to follow acceptable academic practices. While group efforts and study groups are often appropriate, students must submit their own work.  Students should direct any questions concerning use of outside resources or collaboration on assignments to their course instructor. 

Weather Closure Policy—The president, provost and vice president for academic affairs, or their designated representative may decide to close the University  for a specified period of time (examples might include but are not limited to prolonged power outage, prolonged loss of heating capability, or closure of main highway due to inclement weather). Notification will be through Safety First Alert, the University web site, and local media. Faculty and students will be excused from reporting to class.


Upon enrollment, students are assigned academic advisors by their major departments. Students are urged to consult their advisors regularly for support in developing and achieving their academic and career goals. Students who have not declared a major should consult the "undeclared advisors" in General Sciences and Arts or Engineering Fundamentals. See Student Advising.


Orientation is a program designed to introduce new students to academic life, campus, and their classmates. For students entering in fall semester, attendance at the week-long Orientation program is required for all new first-year students. Transfer students with more than 30 credits are required to attend a one day orientation program. During orientation programs, students will learn about campus resources, university polices, and extracurricular activities. Students will meet with their academic department and advisor to discuss departmental expectations and curriculum. Students will also have the opportunity to meet other students, become familiar with their new community, and to attend programs regarding the academic and social transitions to college life, specifically Michigan Tech. For students entering in spring and summer semesters, a condensed orientation is required. 

Learning Centers

To support student success, Michigan Tech has learning centers offering peer and professional academic coaching through weekly appointments, team learning groups, and walk-in tutoring for the following areas: biological sciences, business and economics, chemistry, civil and environmental engineering, computer science, electrical and computer engineering, engineering fundamentals, forestry, mathematics, mechanical engineering, multiliteracies (writing), and physics.

ExSEL (Excelling the Student Experience of Learning)

ExSEL is designed to promote student success and encourage leadership development. The program offers academic support through services such as one-on-one meetings with staff, peer mentoring, grade monitoring, campus resource referrals, campus and community involvement opportunities, special events, and workshops. Additionally, participants enroll in the one-credit, graded UN1000, Frameworks for Success, course. This course provides an opportunity to learn about time management, study skills, working effectively in groups, civic leadership, utilizing campus resources, and other aspects of college life that contribute to student achievement. ExSEL also provides opportunities for students to participate in leadership positions as mentors, teaching assistants, and student employees.

Academic Standing

It is the responsibility of students to stay informed about their academic standing at all times. The academic progress of degree-seeking and of nondegree-seeking undergraduate students is monitored.

Good Academic Standing

The following are conditions of Good Academic Standing:

  1. The University cumulative GPA is 2.00 or greater.
  2. The GPA for the most recent semester is 2.00 or greater.
  3. The cumulative GPA in the major department is 2.00 or greater, based on at least 16 credits.

Dean's List—Degree-seeking undergraduate students who complete 12 or more grade point credits with a GPA of 3.50 or higher in any semester are placed on the Dean's List. Dean’s List status is recorded on the students’ transcripts and is also released to hometown newspapers and posted by the Dean of Students Office online.

University Honors List—University Honors are reserved for degree-seeking students who rank in the top 2 percent of their class and maintain at least a 3.5 cumulative GPA while carrying 12 credits or more for fall and spring semesters.

Graduation with Honors—Michigan Tech recognizes outstanding honors achievements of baccalaureate and associate degree candidates at commencement, on diplomas, and on transcripts with the Latin scholastic distinctions of summa cum laude, magna cum laude, and cum laude. Individual honor designation is determined by their cumulative grade point average.

All grades, which are on a point basis, are used to determine the cumulative GPA. Grades such as I, M, N, P, Q, S, V, etc. are not included in GPA calculations.

Commencement program honor designations are based on the cumulative GPA at the close of the preceding semester. Diploma and transcript honor designations are based on the cumulative GPA achieved after successful completion of all degree requirements.

Academic Honors are granted on the following basis:

  • 3.9–4.0 summa cum laude (highest honors)
  • 3.7–3.89 magna cum laude (high honors)
  • 3.5–3.69 cum laude (honors)

Academic Difficulty

Students having academic difficulty may be asked to withdraw from specific courses, be placed on academic probation, be academically suspended, or dismissed from the University.  

Required Course Withdrawal—The Dean of Students Office may, on the recommendation of the department chair, require students to withdraw from any course or courses in which their preparation, progress, effort, or conduct is deemed unsatisfactory.

Academic Probation—Students who are not making satisfactory progress toward a degree are placed on academic probation. Academic probation is a strong warning to students that their scholastic performance is less than that expected by the University. Notices of academic probation are sent to students at the same time grades are available at the end of the semester. Failure to improve after receiving a probation notice can result in academic suspension or dismissal  from the University (see below).

A student seeking an undergraduate degree is placed on academic probation under any of the following three conditions:

  1. The University cumulative GPA is below 2.00.
  2. The GPA for the most recent semester is below 2.00.
  3. The cumulative departmental GPA is below 2.00, based on at least 16 credits.

A student on academic probation is not permitted to register for more than 16 credits per semester unless approval is granted by the Dean of Students Office.

A student is removed from probation when the following conditions have been met:

  1. The University cumulative GPA is 2.00 or greater.
  2. The GPA for the most recently completed semester is 2.00 or greater.
  3. The cumulative departmental GPA is 2.00 or greater, based on at least 16 credits.

Academic Suspension and Dismissal—A student is eligible for academic suspension if the student earns a term GPA of 0.0 while attempting 12 or more credits, if the cumulative GPA is below 2.0 after a semester of academic probation, or if the student is not restored to good academic standing after two semesters of probation regardless of the cumulative GPA. A student who receives a notice of academic suspension will not be permitted to enroll at the University for a specified period of time.

Upon receiving a first notice of academic suspension, a student must sit out for at least one semester, plus a summer. That is, a student suspended at the end of a fall semester may not re-enroll until the following fall, and a student suspended at the end of a spring semester may not reenroll until the following spring. Upon receiving a second notice of academic suspension, a student must sit out two semesters, plus a summer. Upon reinstatement after a second suspension, failure to achieve good academic standing or show substantial academic progress within one semester will result in academic dismissal. There is no opportunity for reinstatement after academic dismissal.

Appeals of Academic Suspension/Dismissal—An appeal of academic suspension or dismissal will be considered if documentation can be provided to show unusual or extenuating circumstances surrounding a student's academic performance. The student must also be confident in his or her ability to show significant academic progress. A student wishing to make an appeal must do so in writing to the dean of students by accessing the appeal form through the Academic Standing link in MyMichiganTech.

Reinstatement—A student suspended for unsatisfactory academic progress may apply for a reinstatement through a written request to the dean of students after a period of nonenrollment. This request can be made by accessing the reinstatement form through the Academic Standing link in MyMichiganTech. A reinstatement request must be made six weeks in advance of the term you wish to attend and should be supported by materials that demonstrate your readiness to be a successful student.

A student who is reinstated after academic suspension is placed on academic probation, and will be enrolled under the academic catalog and degree-program curriculum in effect at the time of reinstatement. 

Upon reinstatement, failure to achieve good academic standing or show substantial academic progress by the end of one semester will result in a second suspension. Upon reinstatement after a second suspension, failure to achieve good academic standing or show substantial academic progress within one semester will result in academic dismissal. There is no opportunity for reinstatement after academic dismissal.

Academic Renewal

Students who withdraw from the university following one or more terms of poor academic performance occasionally return to the university to continue their education. Their prior low GPA may not be indicative of their potential and may pose a significant challenge to achieving university standards of acceptable academic performance. Prior low grades may also serve as a deterrent to re-enrollment to resume study. Academic Renewal is designed to give returning students a second chance by providing an opportunity to remove a certain portion of prior course work from grade point computation.

Academic Renewal Qualifications

  • A student enrolling at Michigan Tech after an absence of five (5) years or more may elect Academic Renewal. This renewal will affect only those courses taken prior to the five (5) year absence and may be elected only once Academic Standing will be initialized to ‘Good Standing’ for students electing Academic Renewal.
  • Academic Renewal is open only to undergraduate students admitted into a degree program. Academic Renewal is forfeited if a degree program is not completed.
  • Academic Renewal must be invoked prior to graduation and is not available to students who have previously completed requirements for a Michigan Tech Bachelor’s or Associate’s degree.
  • If more than one term is elected for Academic Renewal, the terms must be consecutive and have been completed within a maximum of two (2) calendar years for Bachelor’s degrees or one (1) calendar year for Associate’s degrees.
  • A student receiving a Bachelor’s or Associate’s degree from Michigan Tech must meet the University residency for graduation requirement in the interval between the most recent course work elected for renewal and the completion of courses at Michigan Tech.
  • To qualify for Academic Renewal, a student must have an overall GPA below 2.0 for the renewal period.
  • Renewal will apply to all courses taken during the period for which it is elected regardless of the grade earned. No course credit is granted for any courses in Academic Renewal terms. Academic Renewal courses are not subject to the existing Repeat Policy rules.
  • All courses and grades in Academic Renewal terms will remain on the student’s transcript with a notation that “Academic Renewal has been granted”. All grades will be annotated with an ‘R’ indicating Renewal, e.g. RD or RF. Grades thus annotated will be excluded from University grade point average computation.
  • Academic renewal is a policy of Michigan Technological University. As such, students should be aware it may not be recognized by outside institutions or agencies (e.g. Michigan Department of Education, other universities and colleges).
  • Once elected, Academic Renewal is irrevocable. Students must consult with their academic advisor prior to election of Academic Renewal. Signed application forms will be processed and retained by the Registrar’s Office.

Students may obtain a petition form through the Registrar’s Office and must consult with their academic advisor prior to election of academic renewal. Students who left the university voluntarily may re-enroll by contacting the Registrar’s Office. Those who did not leave voluntarily must seek re-enrollment through the Dean of Students Office. Requests are evaluated on a case-by-case basis.


Michigan Technological University “prepares students to create the future”. In doing so, the University inspires the values of community, scholarship, possibilities, accountability and tenacity. These values should serve to guide decisions and foster learning. Standards of conduct are set forth in the Student Code of Community Conduct to assist the University community in furthering its mission and values.

Attendance at the University is both voluntary and a privilege. Upon enrollment, students have the responsibility to uphold the rules and values of the University, and the right to a fair and equitable conduct process. Students, student groups, and/or student organizations are responsible for knowing the information, policies, and procedures outline in the Code.

The student conduct process at the University is not intended to punish students; rather, it exists to protect the interests of the community and to guide and educate those whose behavior is not consistent with our policies. The purpose of the student conduct process is to determine responsibility, not guilt or innocence. This is not a criminal or civil trial; it is educational in nature, although sanctions can be imposed if a student is responsible for a conduct violation. Sanctions are intended to challenge student’s moral and ethical decision-making and to help them bring their behavior into accord with our community expectations.

While the University has a primary duty to supervise behavior on its premises, there are many circumstances where the off-campus behavior of students affects University interest and warrants action. The University expects students, groups/organizations to conduct themselves in accordance with the law. Off-campus behavior by a student, group and/or organization that may be a violation of local, state or federal law, or yields a complaint from others alleging law violations or misconduct will be reviewed by the Office of Academic and Community Conduct.

The University will take all actions that it deems necessary and appropriate to protect the integrity and best interests of the University and the University community. Such action may include modifying this Code without notice as well as instituting procedures for prohibited conduct (on or off campus), including study-abroad programs. While some deviation from practices described in the Code may at times be necessary, every effort will be made to ensure that the intent of fairness of the Code is maintained. The Code is a dynamic document, and as such is periodically reviewed, and can be modified. It is the responsibility of every member of the University community to periodically review the Code. Final authority in conduct matters is vested in University administration and the Board of Trustees.

Sex Discrimination/Sexual Harassment—Michigan Tech must provide a fair and responsible environment for all of its students. Title IX of the Education Amendments of 1972 is a law prohibiting discrimination based on sex in educational programs that receive Federal funds. It states: “No person in the United States shall, on the basis of sex, be excluded from participation in, be denied the benefits of, or be subjected to discrimination under any education program or activity receiving Federal financial assistance.”

The Title IX Coordinator is responsible for Title IX compliance. The Title IX Coordinator and Deputy Coordinators provide assistance and information about discrimination on the  basis of sex in educational and athletic/recreation programs including gender based discrimination, pregnant and parenting discrimination, sexual harassment, and sexual violence. The coordinators can assist you with filing and addressing a complaint, ensure that you can continue your education free of ongoing discrimination, act to remedy the harm, and provide you resources.

The Title IX Coordinator for the university can be contacted  at, 906-487-3310, Room 306 in the Administration Building. 

For complaints regarding gender equity in Michigan Tech athletics and recreation, contact the Director of Athletics and Recreation, who is responsible for monitoring and oversight of this area for coaches, staff, student-athletes, and students at 906-487-3070 or Room 239A in the Student Development Complex. 

For information on student conduct and the Sexual and/or Relationship Misconduct policies, visit the website.

For information on Title IX visit the website.

Substance Abuse—The University encourages and promotes an environment where healthy lifestyle choices can be made every day by students, faculty, and staff. Students may obtain substance abuse consultation and counseling through Counseling Services. Michigan Tech is committed to following the guidelines of the Drug-Free Schools and Community Act of 1988.

Michigan Tech recognizes that substance abuse has a detrimental effect on the University's goals and objectives. It affects the intellectual, social, physical, and moral growth and development of the individual and the campus community. To reduce the effects that substance abuse promotes, Michigan Tech expects each person to accept the responsibility for his or her own choices and behavior. The University will intervene in any substance abuse-related behaviors that have a negative effect on any segment of the University community or violate any city, state, or federal law. For specific drug and alcohol policies, refer to the "Alcohol and Other Drug Policy" available in the Dean of Students Office or here.

Disabilities (ADA)

Michigan Tech is dedicated to assuring and enhancing opportunities for students with disabilities. The University does not discriminate in the recruitment, admission, or treatment of students. A student with a documented disability may request accommodations that will enable the student to participate in and benefit from educational programs and activities. Documentation must be provided by qualified medical professionals. 

To request accommodations, a student must present documentation to the Student Disability Services (SDS) Office.  Upon the student's request, instructors will be notified of the student's need for accommodation (such as extended time to complete examinations, permitting examinations to be individually proctored, or permitting the use of digital recorders in the classroom). Other out-of-class accommodations may be requested and approved, depending on documentation. Students are required to give instructors a minimum of 5 business days notice prior to using accommodations in the classroom. Please see the Student Disability Services website.

Grade Reports

Mid-Semester Grades—Grades of "satisfactory” (C or better) or "unsatisfactory" are given to all first-year students at mid-semester. Final letter grades are provided at the end of each semester.

Semester—Students may access their final semester grades through Banweb (Student Information System). Grades are mailed to the student only upon request. Contact the Registrar's Office for more information.

Disputed Grades—A student having an error in a final course grade should contact the instructor as soon as possible but no later than one month after the beginning of the next semester. Graded student work (exams, papers, homework, etc.) that has not been returned to the student should be retained by the instructor of record for at least 30 days after the beginning of the next semester or until existing disputes have been resolved.

Transcript Requests

Official Transcripts are provided free of charge upon request from the Registrar's Office. Transcript requests are processed as they are received, and turnaround time is kept to a minimum. All financial obligations to the University must be satisfied before a transcript will be released.

Students who attended prior to 2003 may request a transcript in person, by mail, or by fax

Methods of Requesting a Transcript:
Online—If you are a current student or a former student who attended Michigan Tech since 2003, you can log into Banweb (Student Information System). Enter your campus username and ISO password to login. Once you have gained access, click on student services, student records, then select an official or unofficial transcript. If you have questions, email or contact the Registrar's Office at 906-487-2319.

In Person—Come to the Registrar's Office with your Michigan Tech ID or other photo identification. Office hours are 8:00 AM to 5:00 PM during fall and spring semesters and 7:30 AM to 4:00 PM during summer semester. You will receive your transcript immediately upon presentation of appropriate identification.

By Email, Fax or Mail—To request a transcript by email, fax or mail, complete and submit the transcript request form

Grading Policies

Grade Point Average (GPA)—The grade and credit earned for any course taken by a student at Michigan Tech will become part of the student's permanent record and will be used in the computation of the University grade point average (GPA).

The GPA is computed by dividing the grade points by the grade point hours and truncating the result. Grade point hours include those course credits with grades of A, AB, B, BC, C, CD, D, F, and X. Any performance below a GPA of 2.00 is considered a grade point deficiency.

Minimum GPA—It is required that a student earn a minimum cumulative 2.00 GPA and a minimum 2.00 GPA in the student's major department for an undergraduate degree. Incomplete (I) grades remaining at graduation are considered failing (F) grades in computing the final GPA.

Grading System—The grades awarded by the University are

  • A (excellent)—4.00 grade points/credit
  • AB (very good)—3.50 grade points/credit
  • B (good)—3.00 grade points/credit
  • BC (above average)—2.50 grade points/credit
  • C (average)—2.00 grade points/credit
  • CD (below average)—1.50 grade points/credit
  • D (inferior)—1.00 grade points/credit
  • F (failure)—0.00 grade points/credit
  • F* (failure due to academic dishonesty)—0.00 grade points/credit
  • I (incomplete) not computed in GPA calculation appropriate when
    • the student has a legitimate extenuating circumstance prohibiting the completion of the course;
    • the student has the ability to complete the course requirements without re-enrolling in the course;
    • the student currently has a passing grade in the course.
  • Extenuating circumstances may include (but are not limited to):
    • car accident
    • sudden illness or injury (Doctor’s office/hospital documented)
    • birth of a child
    • death of a family member
    • conditions of close friends (suicide, accident/injury)
    • divorce (individual and parental)
  • An incomplete grade must be made up within 1 semester of being assigned regardless of residency according to the following schedule:
    • assigned fall semester: course must be completed by the end of spring semester;
    • assigned spring semester: course must be completed by the end of fall semester;
    • assigned summer semester: course must be completed by the end of fall semester.
  • An I grade should not be used as a substitute for a failing grade or a withdrawal.
  • Failure to complete the coursework within the timeframes defined above will result in the conversion of the I to an F.
  • Incomplete grades at graduation are considered (F) grades in computing the final grade point average
  • IS (in-session)—given when course remains in session after the term's final grade deadline.
  • X (conditional)—computed into the grade point average as an (F) grade given only when the student is at fault in failing to complete a segment of a course, but in the judgment of the instructor does not need to repeat the course. An X is appropriate when:
    • the student does not have a legitimate extenuating circumstance for failing to complete course requirements that meets the standards for the I grade (above);
    • the student has the ability to complete the course requirements without re-enrolling in the course;
    • the student currently has a passing grade in the course.
  • Example circumstances appropriate for an X grade may include:
    • oversleeping on the day of an exam
    • flat tire/unexpected car trouble
    • incomplete assignments.
  • X grades must be made up within the next semester according to the same schedule summarized above for the I grade. Failure to complete the course accordingly will result in the conversion of the X grade to an F.
  • M (missing grade)—grade not submitted by instructor. See instructor for clarification.
  • N (no grade)—no credit, no grade points; given when a student officially withdraws from the University after the regular drop period. In these cases, the registrar notifies the instructor that the student has withdrawn from the University and should receive an N grade if passing as of the date of withdrawal. The student's grade form will come to the instructor at the end of the course in the normal manner.
  • P (progress)—may be used for approved 3000- or 4000-level project courses, where projects carry over for more than one semester.
  • Q (inadequate progress)—may be used for approved 3000- or 4000-level project courses where projects carry over for more than one semester.
  • W (late drop)—no credit, no grade points; indicates a course was dropped between the beginning of the fourth week and the end of the tenth week; after the tenth week, a student may only request a late drop from the Dean of Students Office, which will consider only those requests that clearly involve extenuating circumstances beyond the student's control.
  • Cr (credit)—by advanced placement or examination.
  • S (satisfactory)—credit given, no grade points, and not included in student's GPA; given for courses taken under the Pass-Fail option. A grade of S is given for work equal to letter grades of A to C.
  • E (effort unsatisfactory)—no credit, no grade points; given for courses taken under the Pass-Fail option. A grade of E is given for work equal to letter grades CD to F.
  • E* (effort unsatisfactory due to academic dishonesty)—no credit, no grade points; given for courses taken under the Pass-Fail option.
  • V (satisfactory audit)—no credit, no grade points; given for courses taken for audit.
  • U (unsatisfactory audit)—no credit, no grade points; given for courses taken for audit.
  • U* (unsatisfactory audit due to academic dishonesty)—no credit, no grade points; given for courses taken for audit.

Audit Grade Option—Requests to change from a normal grade mode (A-F) to audit for a course must be received in the Registrar’s Office by the close of business on Wednesday of the second week of the semester (the last day to add/drop a course). Audited courses may not be used to fulfill academic requirements.

Pass-Fail Grade Option—Requests to change from a normal grade mode (A-F) to pass-fail for a course must be received in the Registrar’s Office by the close of business on Wednesday of the second week of the semester (the last day to add/drop a course). Courses taken for a letter grade may not be repeated under the pass-fail option. Courses taken under the pass-fail option may only be used to fulfill free electives.

Graduation Requirements

The Michigan Tech Undergraduate Catalog is updated annually and requirements for degree programs may change from one catalog year to the next.

Students maintaining continuous enrollment at Michigan Tech may expect to graduate under the requirements published in the catalog in effect at the time of their matriculation. Students who change majors will follow the requirements in effect at the time of the change.

Students who add a major, minor, or certificate will follow the requirements for the additional curriculum in effect at the time it is added.

Students who have been absent from the University for one or more years will follow the degree requirements of the catalog in effect at the time of readmission.

Students should consult with their academic advisor for guidance when considering options in regard to their individual plan.

Graduation Residency Policy—Students must meet the following residency requirements in order to receive a baccalaureate degree from Michigan Tech:

  1. Thirty of the last 36 semester credit hours of academic work to be applied to the degree must have been completed at Michigan Tech. Study abroad and co-op credits earned through Michigan Tech may be included in these 30 hours if the student has completed 30 credit hours of courses at Michigan Tech among the last 60 credit hours to be applied to the degree.
  2. Thirty semester credit hours of advanced level courses (3000 or higher) must be completed at Michigan Tech.

Courses which meet the "at Michigan Tech" requirement are defined as courses listed in the course catalog and taught by Michigan Tech faculty either on campus, at field locations, or through distance learning.

Each undergraduate degree candidate is expected to:

  1. Successfully complete the required courses prescribed for their chosen curriculum.
  2. Successfully complete the required University General Education requirements.
  3. Attain a cumulative University GPA of at least 2.00, and a major department GPA of at least 2.00.
  4. Comply with Michigan Tech's graduation residency requirements.
  5. File a graduation application with the Registrar's Office for each degree or certificate program the candidate intends to complete.
  6. Have an approved degree audit on file with the academic advisor for each academic program in which enrolled.

Undergraduate Commencement Eligibility Requirements

Michigan Tech conducts two commencement ceremonies each year that are held in the spring and fall semesters. Students completing all degree requirements in the spring or summer will be listed for the spring commencement ceremony and students completing their degree requirements in the fall will be listed for the fall commencement ceremony. Students who find it necessary to participate in a ceremony held prior to their graduation term due to extenuating circumstances must seek approval from the assistant registrar of curriculum services in the Registrar’s Office.

In order to be eligible to participate** in a commencement ceremony and to be listed in the commencement program, all degree candidates must:

  • Be registered in the course(s) that will complete all outstanding program requirements.
  • Have an approved audit on file with the academic advisor for each academic program in which enrolled.
  • Have a graduation application on file for each degree and certificate in which enrolled in the Registrar's Office two semesters prior to the expected graduation term. 

**Participation in a commencement ceremony is NOT equivalent to graduation. Since the ceremony may occur before final grades are submitted, it is not possible to determine if all degree requirements have been met at that time. Graduation becomes official after all grades are received and the degree notation is placed on the academic record.

Annual Notification of Student Rights Under the Family Educational Rights and Privacy Act (FERPA)

The Family Educational Rights and Privacy Act (FERPA) affords students certain rights with respect to their education records. These rights include:

  1. The right to inspect and review the student's education records within 45 days of the day the University receives a request for access.

    A student should submit to the registrar, dean, head of the academic department, or other appropriate official, a written request that identifies the record(s) the student wishes to inspect. The University official will make arrangements for access and notify the student of the time and place where the records may be inspected. If the records are not maintained by the University official to whom the request was submitted, that official shall advise the student of the correct official to whom the request should be addressed.
  2. The right to request the amendment of the student's education records that the student believes are inaccurate, misleading, or otherwise in violation of the student's privacy rights under FERPA.

    A student who wishes to ask the University to amend a record should write the University official responsible for the record, clearly identify the part of the record the student wants changed, and specify why it should be changed.

    If the University decides not to amend the record as requested, the University will notify the student in writing of the decision and the student's right to a hearing regarding the request for amendment. Additional information regarding the hearing procedures will be provided to the student when notified of the right to a hearing.
  3. The right to provide written consent before the University discloses personally identifiable information from the student's education records, except to the extent that FERPA authorizes disclosure without consent.

    The University discloses education records without a student's prior written consent under the FERPA exception for disclosure to school officials with legitimate educational interests. A school official is a person employed by the University in an administrative, supervisory, academic or research, or support staff position (including law enforcement unit personnel and health staff); a person or company with whom the University has contracted as its agent to provide a service instead of using University employees or officials (such as an attorney, auditor, or collection agent); a person serving on the Board of Control; or a student serving on an official committee, such as a disciplinary or grievance committee, or assisting another school official in performing his or her tasks.

    A school official has a legitimate educational interest if the official needs to review an education record in order to fulfill his or her professional responsibilities for the University.
  4. The right to file a complaint with the US Department of Education concerning alleged failures by the University to comply with the requirements of FERPA. The name and address of the office that administers FERPA is:

    Family Policy Compliance Office
    US Department of Education
    400 Maryland Avenue, SW
    Washington, DC 20202-5901

FERPA further provides that certain information designated as “Directory Information” concerning the student may be released by the University unless the student has informed the University that such information should not be released.

The University designates the following as public or "Directory Information": The student's name, address, telephone number, email address, hometown, age, college, major field of study, class (senior, junior, sophomore, freshman), student status; full-time or part-time registration or not currently enrolled, student level; undergraduate/graduate, dates of attendance, participation in officially recognized activities and sports, leadership positions at Michigan Tech, weight and height of athletic team members, specific athletic achievements, Michigan Tech job title, degrees and awards received, academic and other honors, most recent previous school attended and parent/guardian names in conjunction with university awards/recognition.

As a matter of normal practice, Michigan Technological University does not sell or release "Directory Information" to commercial third parties, unless required to do so by law.

Students may restrict the release of "Directory Information," except to school officials with legitimate educational interests and others as indicated above. To do so, a student must file a request to withhold directory information form with the Registrar’s Office. Once filed, this request becomes a permanent part of the student's record until the student instructs the University, in writing, to have the request removed.

Questions about FERPA may be directed to Michigan Technological University, Registrar’s Office, 1400 Townsend Drive, Houghton, MI 49931-1295. The complete policy is available on the Registrar’s Office website.

University Information and Freedom of Information Act

Michigan Tech is committed to maintaining a free exchange of information throughout the University community. It is our general practice to release most types of information immediately upon request.

In addition, as a publicly funded institution, Michigan Tech is subject to the provisions of the state and federal Freedom of Information Acts (FOIA). FOIA requires the University to provide copies of most administrative documents, with the exception of certain legal and personnel records, to anyone filing a FOIA request. If you wish to file a Freedom of Information Act request or if you would like to view University documents, contact the Office of the President at 906-487-2200.


Registration periods for each semester are listed in the University Academic Calendar.

While every effort is made to ensure that the Schedule of Classes is accurate, unforeseen circumstances or low enrollments may cause the cancellation of some section(s) or course(s). Michigan Tech also reserves the right to change the days, times, rooms, or instructors of section(s) or course(s) as deemed necessary.

The Schedule of Classes can be found on the web at Prepare for Registration.

Adding Classes—The last day to officially add a full semester course is Wednesday of the second week of the semester*.

First-year students: Through the first five days of the semester*, signature approval must be obtained from the student's academic advisor. After the fifth business day of the semester*, signature approval must be obtained from the student's academic advisor and the course instructor. Section changes for the same course do not require an academic advisor approval signature.

All other students: Through the first five business days of the semester*, no signature approval is required. After the fifth business day of the semester*, students must obtain signature approval from the course instructor to add a course or change a section.

* Or the same percentage of time if a course is offered in a time module other than a fourteen-week semester

Dropping Classes—Courses dropped by the close of business on Wednesday of the second week of the semester* will be refunded 100 percent. Courses dropped after this date will not be refunded.

During the first three weeks of a semester, courses dropped will not be recorded on the student’s permanent record. Beginning the fourth week through the end of the tenth week of the semester, courses dropped will be indicated by a grade of W on the student’s permanent record.

First-year students: During the first three weeks of instruction*, signature approval must be obtained from the student’s academic advisor. Students must be made aware of how dropping a course affects their progress toward graduation. After the third week of instruction*, signature approval must be obtained from the student’s academic advisor and the course instructor.

All other students: During the first week through the end of the tenth week of instruction*, no signature approval is required.

* Or the same percentage of time, if a course is offered in a time module other than a fourteen-week semester.

After the tenth week of a semester, a student may request a late drop from the Dean of Student's Office which will consider only those requests that clearly involve extenuating circumstances beyond a student's control. The course will appear on the student's transcript with a grade of W.

NOTE: Students who drop all of their classes will be withdrawn from school as of the date those classes were dropped.

Financial Obligations—Having fulfilled all other requirements, a student is eligible for registration or graduation only if all financial obligations to the University have been met. Students with an outstanding balance will have a hold placed on their account. This hold denies access to registration and prevents the distribution of grades and transcripts.

Variable Credit Courses—The last day to change credit amounts on variable credit courses is Wednesday of the second week of the semester (or the same percentage of time if a course is offered in a time module other than a fourteen-week semester). Decreases in credits after this date will not be refunded.

Prerequisites—Prerequisite courses are required to be satisfactorily completed before a student may register in a course requiring the prerequisite.  Students who earn a CD or D in a prerequisite course should retake the prerequisite course before registering for the advanced course.

Concurrent prerequisite: a prerequisite that may be taken the same semester as the course requiring it.

Corequisites: courses that are required to be taken together in the same semester.

The course instructor has the right to waive a prerequisite in the case of a student who has demonstrated competence or who has academic experience equivalent to that represented by the prerequisite. The waiver does not grant credit for the prerequisite course, but indicates the instructor's willingness to accept the student into class without the student officially taking the prerequisite course.

Repeating a Course—Undergraduate students may not repeat courses in which they have earned a grade of C or better. When a course is repeated, the most recent grade will be used to calculate the GPA, credits earned toward graduation, and determination of class standing. Any credit previously earned under the course number is forfeited and the transcript will indicate NR (No grade-repeated) for the earlier attempt. Students must have the permission of the dean of students and their academic advisor for the third attempt at any one course. Courses exempt from the repeat rule are those that may be repeated for credit as indicated in the course description.

In situations where an original course is no longer offered and no active direct equivalent exists, students may seek the permission of their academic advisor and their department chair or school dean to substitute a different course (a "similar repeat") that covers comparable material at a similar level.

Curriculum Changes—Undergraduate students considering a change of major should initially contact the prospective major department for information regarding restrictions or requirements for being admitted into that department. All changes are recorded on the Curriculum Add/Drop form, available in the department academic advising offices. The student must complete the form, have it signed by the appropriate academic advisor, and submit it to the Registrar’s Office before Wednesday of the second week of instruction to be effective for that semester. Curriculum changes received after that time will be effective for the following semester.

In addition to changing a primary major, the Curriculum Add/Drop form can be used to add, drop, or change a concentration, minor, a double major, or a second degree. Questions may be directed to

Download Curriculum Add/Drop form.

Enrollment in Graduate Courses under "Senior Rule"—While completing an undergraduate degree, students are permitted to take courses which could apply to a graduate degree. However, a course cannot be applied to both a graduate and an undergraduate degree.

A Senior Rule form must be completed and submitted to the Registrar’s Office by Wednesday of the second week of class for the term in which the class is taken. Upon submission, the student's academic record will be changed to show graduate status for the course(s) designated. Once the academic record has been changed to show graduate status for a particular course, it cannot be changed back to count toward an undergraduate degree, nor can courses from previous semesters be reclassified.

Students will receive two transcripts once the Senior Rule is applied to a course—one for undergraduate courses and one for graduate courses. Courses completed previously under Senior Rule (but not classified as such in the student's academic record) will not be reclassified to appear on the graduate transcript, but the courses may be accepted on the graduate degree schedule with department advisor’s approval.

Withdrawing from the University

Withdrawal Procedure—Students withdrawing from the University will have their tuition assessed based on the Withdrawal Refund Schedule. Failure to withdraw will result in F grades and in payment of tuition and fees which otherwise may be avoided.

Complete the Withdrawal Form and bring to the Dean of Students Office in the Administration Building.

If you live in on-campus housing, remember to contact the Housing and Residential Life Office (906-487-2682) regarding your withdrawal.

Withdrawal of Students Called to Active Military Service—Students called to active duty are guaranteed readmission upon completion of active service. Enrolled Michigan Tech students who are called to active military duty will be given the opportunity to work out the best possible solution for maintaining their academic status. They must choose one of the following options before departing for active service:

  • Leave for active service with a tuition refund of 100 percent. Refunds involving financial aid will be adjudicated to decrease the payback required from the student to the lowest possible amount.
  • Agree that temporary grades will be issued for enrolled courses. The temporary grades will be P for Progress or I for Incomplete. In some cases, arrangements can be made to complete the course work while on active duty. Otherwise, the student may complete the courses when he or she returns to the University.

Involuntary Medical Withdrawal—A student will be subject to involuntary withdrawal if the University Medical and Mental Health Board recommends, in the members’ professional judgment, and the dean accepts the recommendation, that the student is suffering from a mental, emotional, psychological, or physical health disorder and, as a result of this disorder engages, or threatens to engage, in behavior that would cause significant property damage or directly and substantially impede the lawful activities of others.