Programs for Everyone

Double Majors

A double major is a Michigan Technological University bachelor's degree with two majors and is granted when all requirements of both curricula are satisfied at the same time. A student who completes a double major will be awarded one diploma listing both majors, for example, "Bachelor of Science in Mechanical Engineering with an additional major in Mathematics".

  • The double major is distinctly different from the second degree. Majoring in two subjects does not require additional credit hours beyond departmental requirements and only a single degree is granted. Double majors work best for degree programs with similar curricular structures. When two majors have very different requirements necessitating the completion of 32 or more "additional" credits, students should consider a second degree program that results in the awarding of two distinct baccalaureate degrees and diplomas.
  • A student pursuing a double major will designate one as the primary major.  Students planning to earn a double major should declare both majors and begin planning their course work as early as possible.  Advisors must be identified in the departments of both majors in order to assure that the degree requirements of both are met.
  • Students may only earn an additional major if that major is offered under the same degree type (Bachelor of Science or Bachelor of Arts) as the primary major.  If the degree types for the majors are different then the student must pursue a second degree.
  • If a single department offers two distinct majors, it is possible to complete a double major within that department by fulfilling the requirements for both majors. However, student may not earn a double concentration or option within a single major.
  • In the event that both majors require a senior project, a student may petition both departments to accept one project for both majors prior to beginning the senior project.
  • Students who have previously been awarded a degree cannot have the double major designation added to their transcript.

Students desiring a double major should indicate their intent by filing a Curriculum Add/Drop form (available in the department advising office) complete with signature from the academic advisor for the additional department with the Registrar's Office.

Additional Baccalaureate Degrees

A student enrolled at Michigan Tech who is currently pursuing (or already has) a Baccalaureate degree or degrees can obtain an additional Baccalaureate degree from Michigan Tech. Unlike a double major, an additional Baccalaureate degree (or degrees) will grant the student an entirely separate diploma. Students must initiate the process for obtaining an additional degree by completing a degree audit with their additional degree advisor.  Students pursuing a Baccalaureate degree from Michigan Tech can earn an additional degree at the same time if they meet the following requirements:

  • Satisfy the degree requirements for each Baccalaureate program.
  • Earn at least 32 of the credit hours required for the additional degree through Michigan Tech without having applied those credits to any other minor or Baccalaureate degree program. The academic unit offering the additional degree can allow course substitutions provided that the 32 credit hour minimum is maintained.

An enrolled student who has already earned a Baccalaureate degree (from Michigan Tech or from a regionally accredited institution of higher education) can obtain a Baccalaureate degree or degrees from Michigan Tech if they:

  • Complete an Additional Baccalaureate Degree Completion Form with their advisor.
  • Satisfy the degree requirements for the additional Baccalaureate program.
  • Earn at least 32 of the credit hours required for each additional degree through Michigan Tech without having applied those credits to any other minor or Baccalaureate degree program.  The academic unit offering the additional degree can allow course substitutions provided that the 32 credit hour minimum is maintained.

A student who plans to pursue an additional baccalaureate degree must also submit a Curriculum Add/Drop form, complete with signature from the academic advisor in the degree-granting department, to the Registrar's Office. 

Accelerated Master’s Degree

Undergraduate students may pursue a master’s degree in conjunction with their baccalaureate degree by applying a limited number of credits toward both the master’s and bachelor’s degrees using the following student guidelines:

  • Only students who intend to complete both their bachelor’s and master’s degrees at Michigan Tech can enroll in an accelerated master’s program.
  • Students already enrolled in a graduate program may not retroactively use this policy.
  • In order to be formally accepted into an accelerated master’s program students must apply to and be accepted into the Graduate School at Michigan Tech. Applications will be reviewed by departments and programs according to their normal procedure.
  • Students can apply for admission to an accelerated master’s program at any time after they attain sophomore-level class standing and up until they are awarded their bachelor’s degree.
  • Only students with a cumulative GPA of 3.0 or above are eligible to enter an accelerated master’s program. Programs may set higher admission requirements. For example, programs may require a cumulative GPA of 3.5 for admission to a research-based (thesis or report option) master’s program.
  • Students who are accepted to the program will not be allowed to continue if their cumulative undergraduate GPA falls below 3.0. A higher GPA may be required by the program. 
  • Students must consult with their academic advisor and the Graduate School regarding restrictions on the use of coursework and research credits under the accelerated master’s degree policy prior to enrollment in any courses intended to be used toward the master’s degree. A maximum of six credits may be double-counted toward the bachelor's and master's degrees.
  • Students will be considered undergraduates for the purposes of financial aid, tuition, and class standing until their undergraduate degree has been awarded.  Once students are awarded their undergraduate degree, they will be considered graduate students for the purposes of financial aid and tuition.
  • Students who are accepted into an accelerated master’s degree program may also take courses under the senior rule policy. Students must consult the graduate program regarding the number of senior rule courses that may be used toward an accelerated master's degree.
  • Additional information for academic departments may be found in the accelerated master’s University Senate degree policy.

The Graduate School maintains a list of programs that are currently available as an accelerated program.

Study Abroad

What better way to create the future than to study abroad? The International Programs and Services Office provides students with high-quality international academic opportunities in more than thirty nations around the world. Every year, hundreds of students choose to study abroad for a summer, semester, or year at a foreign university. Students will earn credit toward their degree or minor, and spend a once-in-a-lifetime opportunity developing skills needed to become productive and successful members of the global community.

Study abroad programs at Michigan Tech are very affordable because tuition will be at least the same as your Michigan Resident or Non-Michigan Resident tuition rate for most of the programs. Financial aid and scholarships usually apply to semester and year-long programs. The Office of International Programs and Services is an excellent resource for available scholarships and grants.

Students from every discipline choose study abroad, especially considering that many courses abroad are taught in English. While knowledge of a foreign language is not necessary for many programs, living abroad is an excellent way to improve language skills.

Cooperative Education (Co-op)

Michigan Tech encourages undergraduate and graduate students to participate in experiential education, which includes both co-ops and internships, because it provides the professional experience which is so highly sought by employers. The goal of the Experiential Education Program at Michigan Tech is to provide practical work experience prior to graduation. As a joint venture between the student, the University, and an employer, work assignments are related to the student's major field of study and are varied to provide a range of training and experience.

The work assignment's degree of complexity are intended to match the level of the student's training, progressing with each work assignment. Since the co-op student must complete the same academic program as a non-co-op student, the co-op student typically defers graduation by as much as a full calendar year. However, both the short and long-term benefits gained through experiential education are worth the extra time.

To qualify for the co-op program as an undergraduate or transfer student, an applicant must have second year standing (i.e., 30+ credits) and a Michigan Tech University GPA above 2.2. Also, undergraduate students must be in good academic and social standing with the University in order to be registered. Each semester of undergraduate co-op carries 1 or 2 academic credits, which may be applied toward an academic degree, depending on the degree-granting department. Graduate students are required to have been on campus for a year and maintain at least a 3.0 GPA. Additionally, they must obtain permission from their advisor and have full-time student status while applying for and participating in the co-op assignment. Graduate students may earn from 1 to 6 credits per co-op semester.

Co-op program options are designed to accommodate the needs of both the student and the employer. Co-op assignments may range from one semester to a full year or rotate between school and work sessions.

Michigan Tech has entered into a cooperative education relationship with more than 2,000 companies and organizations in the United States and abroad. Although a majority of students choose to co-op in the Midwest, students have been placed across the nation and internationally. For more information, visit Career Services Co-ops and Internships.

English as a Second Language Program

The Intensive English as a Second Language (IESL) Program provides instruction in English for academic purposes and North American culture for international students interested in pursuing a degree at Michigan Tech. 

IESL classes follow Michigan Tech’s academic calendar and are offered during fall, spring, and summer semesters.  IESL courses include all language skills: reading/vocabulary, writing/grammar, and listening/speaking/pronunciation at the intermediate, advanced and transitional levels. 

For more information, contact the IESL Program at or call 906-487-2540. 

Michigan Tech Online Learning

Michigan Tech offers select courses online to degree- and non-degree seeking students. Courses can be used toward certificate, BS, MS, and PhD programs. Both corporate sponsors and individuals are eligible. Online courses offer more flexibility than a face-to-face class but are not designed to be completed at your own pace. 

MICUP/MI-LSAMP Transfer Transition Program

The Michigan College University Partnership (MICUP) Transfer Transition Program, partnered with the Michigan Louis Stokes Alliances for Minority Participation (MI-LSAMP), focuses on the recruitment and support of underrepresented and economically disadvantaged community college students to academic programs at Michigan Tech. Our current community college partners are Delta College, Grand Rapids Community College, and the Wayne County Community College District.

The program includes a seven-week summer university and residential experience, undergraduate research with a faculty member, and the opportunity to enroll in a 3-credit Michigan Tech course.  If selected to attend, these and other opportunities are provided at no cost to students. A competitive stipend is granted to each participant.

For more information, contact the Center for Diversity and Inclusion at 906-487-2920.

Secondary Teacher Certification

Specific major programs grant both secondary school teacher certification and a bachelor's degree in the following certification areas. You must apply to the Department of Cognitive and Learning Sciences for admission to these programs.

  • Biology (BS in Biological Sciences or Medical Laboratory Science, BS in Wildlife Ecology, Applied Ecology, or Forestry)
  • Chemistry (BS in Chemistry)
  • Computer Science (BS in Computer Science)
  • Earth Science (BS in Geology)
  • Economics (BS in Economics)
  • English (BA in English)
  • Integrated Science (BS in Engineering or Sciences)
  • Mathematics (BS in Mathematics)
  • Physics (BS or BA in Physics)
  • Social Studies (BS in Social Sciences)

Officers' Training (ROTC)

The Reserve Officers' Training Corps (Army or Air Force) is open to all US citizens enrolled at Michigan Tech. Students may enroll in Army (AR) or Air Force (AF) courses during the first two years with no obligation to the service. Those students holding ROTC scholarships become obligated to their respective service at the beginning of their sophomore year. Students completing the Army program may receive a commission as an officer in the Army. Students completing the Air Force program will receive a commission as an officer in the Air Force.

Preprofessional Programs

Many different undergraduate majors and courses of study can lead to successful admission to professional schools after completion of a bachelor's degree. Admission requirements of professional institutions vary; therefore, it is the student's responsibility to determine if a suggested program at Michigan Tech meets the admission requirements of a particular institution’s professional programs. Students should consult with their academic advisor for courses of study.

Three departments on campus have specific programs for students pursuing professional careers in medicine and the related health sciences or in law. The prephysical therapy advisor, located in the Department of Kinesiology and Integrative Physiology, assists students preparing for admission to physical therapy school. The premedical advisor, located in the Department of Biological Sciences, helps students preparing for admission to schools of medicine, dentistry, optometry, pharmacy, podiatry, veterinary medicine, and other health professions. The prelaw advisor, located in the Department of Social Sciences, works specifically with students interested in pursuing careers in law.