- Dow Building 814
- Senior Research Engineer, Chemical Engineering
- Adjunct Assistant Professor, Civil, Environmental, and Geospatial Engineering
- Faculty Advisor, Green Campus Enterprise
- PhD, Civil and Environmental Engineering, University of Iowa
- BA, Chemistry, Gustavus Adolphus College
I completed my PhD in Civil and Environmental Engineering at the University of Iowa, with a research focus on applications of nanoscale iron chemistry in groundwater remediation. I decided to take a postdoctoral position with the Michigan Tech Sustainable Futures Institute as a way to broaden my perspectives and learn more about new advances in sustainable engineering. I was able to get involved in a variety of research and education initiatives, focusing mainly on using environmental life cycle assessment methods to evaluate different methods of biofuel production. I am involved in research and teaching initiatives that involves sustainability assessment and life cycle thinking.
- Sustainable water and energy systems
- Life-cycle assessment
- Bioproducts and bioenergy
- Sustainable materials and manufacturing
- Aquaponics and hydroponics
- Ecosystem services
Dr. Handler specializes in sustainable water and energy systems and other topics in sustainable engineering.