- Fisher 116
Assistant Professor, Physics
- PhD, Optics and Photonics, CREOL/UCF
- MS, Optics, CREOL/UCF
- MS, Electromagnetics, Cairo University
- BS, Electronics and Communication Engineering, Cairo University
Ramy El-Ganainy received his undergraduate degree from Cairo University in 1999. In 2007, he obtained his master's degree from the College of Optics and Photonics (CREOL) at the University of Central Florida. He earned his PhD, in 2009, from CREOL for his thesis work on nonlinear optical properties of nano-suspensions. Since 2009, he has been a postdoctoral fellow at the Physics Department, University of Toronto. Recently, he joined the Max Planck Institute for the physics of complex systems as a guest scientist for a period of one year.
His research interests span a wide spectrum of topics, ranging from classical optics to computational techniques for radiation-matter interactions. He has published 20 papers and given more than 10 conference presentations.
- Nonlinear effects in optical nano-wires
- Optical solitons in soft-matter
- Parity-time symmetry in optics
- QED effects inside photonic structures
- R. El-Ganainy, K.G. Makris, A. Mohammed, and D.N. Christodoulides, “Discrete beam acceleration in uniform waveguide arrays”, Physical review A Volume: 84 Issue: 6,Number: 023842 (2011)
- S. Juodkazis, L. Rosa, S. Bauerdick, L. Peto, R. El-Ganainy and S. John, “Sculpturing of photonic crystals by ion beam lithography: towards complete photonic bandgap at visible wavelengths” Optics express, 19, 5802 (2011).
- R. El-Ganainy, D.N. Christodoulides, C.E. Ruter, D. Kip, “Resonant delocalization of light in periodically modulated Bloch lattices”, Optics letters, 36, 1464 (2011).
- E. Greenfield, C. Rotschild, Y. Lamhot, A. Szameit, H.C. Gurgov, Y. Nemirovsky, M. Segev, R. El-Ganainy, D.N. Christodoulides, M. Saraf and E. Lifshitz, “Light-induced self-synchronizing flow patterns”, New Journal of Physics, 13, 053021 (2011).
- K.G. Makris, R. El-Ganainy, D.N. Christodoulides Z.H. Musslimani, “PT-Symmetric Periodic Optical Potentials” International Journal of theoretical physics, 50, 1019 (2011)
- C.E. Ruter, K.G. Makris, R. El-Ganainy, D.N. Christodoulides, M. Segev, D. Kip, “Observation of parity-time symmetry in optics”, Nature physics, Volume: 6 Issue: 3 Pages: 192-195 (2010)
- K.G Makris, R. El-Ganainy, D.N. Christodoulides, Z.H. Musslimani, “PT-symmetric optical lattices”, Physical review A Volume: 81 Issue: 6,Number: 063807 (2010)