English Proficiency Requirements
English Proficiency Test Scores
All degree seeking undergraduate international students are required to submit proof of English language proficiency, regardless of their ability. Below is a list of acceptable test scores and our minimum requirement for direct admission to our degree programs. Students who score below our minimum may seek conditional admission.
- Test of English as a Foreign Language (TOEFL): minimum 550 PBT, 213 CBT, 79 iBT (paper-based, computer-based, internet-based)
- International English Language Testing System (IELTS): minimum 6.5 overall band score (minimum 6.0 on speaking and writing portion)
- SAT 1: minimum 420 writing, 500 critical reading
- Eiken STEP: minimum P1 (for Japanese applicants; includes speaking portion; score of 2A=ESL, P2=low beginner, 1=accept for grad)
- MELAB: minimum 77 (average of scores on parts 1, 2, and 3) US and Canada test sites only
- Test of English for International Communication (TOEIC): 690
- Pearson Test of English: 53
NOTE: To be considered official, reports must be sent directly from the testing service. Michigan Tech's Institution Code Number (for submitting TOEFL and SAT test scores) is 1464. Michigan Technological University is an official ETS test site.
NOTE: Countries Exempt From TOEFL