To be considered for admission to the Graduate School as a degree- or certificate-seeking student, the applicant must be
- The recipient of a bachelor’s degree or its equivalent from an accredited institution
- Adequately prepared for advanced study in the chosen field of specialization, as demonstrated by the previous program of study and the scholastic record
Programs typically will not review an application until all of the required materials have been submitted to the Graduate School. Program admissions requirements vary and are listed on our individual program websites.
Graduate School Application
Our application is free, available online, and may be used by both domestic and international students to apply to any of our degree or certificate programs.
- Formerly enrolled students who need to be readmitted should complete our Application for Readmission.
Applicants are required to complete a Statement of Purpose and a Personal Statement. Each provides unique perspectives and insights for reviewers.
- These statements must be submitted using the appropriate form on your MyMichiganTech. Uploaded files elsewhere will not be accepted.
- Responses have a hard character limit (spaces are counted). Most word processors can count characters and there are online utilities.
- Students should pay careful attention to this section of the application, as many departments place strong emphasis on these statements.
Statement of Purpose
The Statement of Purpose (3000 character limit) should strongly convey the student's purpose for applying to the selected graduate program, demonstrate their suitability for advanced research or studies, and specify:
- a student’s passion for, and knowledge of, the intended plan of study using the language of the field;
- the intended program, area of study, research interest(s), and desired advisor (if applicable);
- experience the student can bring to the department, including any professional and/or presentation experience; and
- any pertinent skills the student has that can help them be successful (e.g., research, leadership, enterprise, and/or publication experience).
The Personal Statement (2000 character limit) allows applicants the opportunity to tell their story and reflect upon the experiences that have shaped their lives, and can:
- give details on what is unique and distinctive about the applicant;
- provide information on overcoming personal obstacles or hardships (financial, physical, or familial);
- identify and address gaps or discrepancies in the application
- articulate how a graduate degree will help to achieve future personal, professional, and career goals.
Students are required to upload copies of their previous college/university transcripts for the initial application review process. Students must provide official transcripts and proof of degree(s) to complete their enrollment if accepted.
If accepted, please bring your official documents to the Graduate School upon arrival to Michigan Tech.
- Current Michigan Tech students may be eligible for a GRE Fee Reduction Program.
Students may upload unofficial copies of their test score reports for the initial application review process. Official scores must be provided to complete enrollment, if accepted. Official ETS (GRE & TOEFL) scores should be sent directly to the Graduate School using our School Code: 1464.
Program Required Documents
Students should review all of the documents required by their program(s) of interest prior to beginning the application process. Additional documents/requirements that may be necessary include the following:
- Résumé / Curriculum vitae
- Writing Sample
- Prerequisite Courses
- Previous Degree in a Specified Field
Although most programs review applications on a rolling basis throughout the year, students are encouraged to follow the recommended deadlines on the individual program pages.
For more specific information, please see our International Applicants page.