The Graduate School recognizes that students may wish to begin a family while pursuing their degrees. In order to help students balance school with family obligations and expenses, the Graduate School offers several services that together contribute to a family-friendly environment at Michigan Tech.
Resources available on campus to provide support to families include:
- The Graduate Student Parental Accommodation Policy provides assistance to students during a pregnancy, during a postpartum period, during an adoption process, or following an adoption placement.
- Lactation Spaces are available for nursing mothers on campus as part of the Michigan Tech Worklife Connections program.
- The Little Huskies Child Development Center provides high-quality childcare.
- Michigan Tech Preschool is a non-profit, cooperative preschool located on campus that serves children ages 3-5. Children must be 3 years old by December 1st to qualify for the program.
There are also many resources available for students in the local areas of Houghton and Hancock:
- 4C of the Upper Peninsula provides parents with childcare resources in the local area.
- The Keweenaw Family Resource Center provides family resources and is home to The Tree House, their indoor playground.
- The Western Upper Peninsula Health Department is the local public health agency and provides a variety of children's health services.