MAGS Excellence in Teaching Award
The Midwestern Association of Graduate School annually solicits for the Excellence in Teaching Award in recognition of graduate students who exemplify excellence in the teaching/learning mission of the member universities. Michigan Tech may nominate two students; one each at the master's and doctoral level.
MAGS is currently soliciting for nominations for the 2015 competition. Internal applications are due to the Graduate School no later than 4pm on December 17, 2014.
- will have been enrolled at Michigan Tech during the 2014 calendar year and have a teaching appointment
- will have earned the Michigan Tech Outstanding Graduate Student Teaching Award
- will have an excellent teaching portfolio and student evaluations
Programs may nominate eligible students by submitting:
- A letter of support from the department head
- A current curriculum vitae for the nominee
- The nominee's Teaching Portfolio - please use the following Headings and limit to six double spaced pages (total):
- Statement of Teaching Philosophy
- Evidence of instructional design and innovation, instructional delivery, course management, and student learning
- Teaching in Action Video (10 minute maximum)
- Indicate the method used for submitting video (YouTube/other web-based video or as email attachment), providing link to the video if web-based
- YouTube video is preferred. MAGS provided instructions on how to create YouTube videos and some alternative formats. Contact Debra Charlesworth in the Graduate School if you would like a copy of the supplemental instructions.
- Student Evaluation of Teaching
- Please indicate courses taught as a graduate student at this institution, number of students, instructional responsibility, and a summary of student evaluations
- Evidence of Scholarship in Teaching/Learning
- Publications/presentations or grant proposals submitted/funded which focused on teaching/learning
- Evidence of how pedagogical research informs your teaching
- Evidence of Effective Student/Colleague Mentoring
Nomination packets are due by 4pm, December 17, 2014 to Debra Charlesworth in the Graduate School via e-mail or campus mail. Eligible students with a complete nomination packet will be evaluated by a panel of faculty from the University.
Recipients of the MAGS Excellence in Teaching Award will receive:
- A $750 honorarium.
- A citation given at the Annual Meeting.