- G008 Academic Office Building
Assistant Professor of Economics, School of Business and Economics
- PhD, Economics, Kansas State University
- MBA, Business Administration, Kansas State University
- Licenciatura, Corporate Management, Universidade de Coimbra (Portugal)
Dr. Oliveira is an economist with specializations in macroeconomics, international economics, and econometrics. Before joining Michigan Tech, he taught at Saint Norbert College, Kansas State University, and University of Nebraska at Omaha. His research agenda focus on interdisciplinary issues of economic growth and development, predominantly on barriers to technological adoption, entrepreneurship, institutional framework, and regulatory policies, along with editorial review board duties for the International Entrepreneurship and Management Journal as well as scientific committee duties for the 2013 conference of the International Network of Business and Management Journals. Dr. Oliveira also actively collaborates with students engaged in national competitions and entrepreneurial activities, such as the iOMe Challenge, New Venture Competition, MTEC SmartZone, and other initiatives. In 2013, he received Michigan Tech’s “Student Organization Advisor of the Year” award for his service to the Finance Club. Prior to doctoral studies, he worked in the Portuguese private sector as a consultant (EU funded projects for public and private institutions, strategic plans for SMEs and business associations, etc.) and as an EU certified instructor (innovation management and business internationalization).
- Intermediate Macroeconomics
- Monetary Theory and Policy
- International Economics
- Principles of Economics
- International Finance
- Graduate Seminar in Macro Theory
- Growth and development
- Barriers to technological adoption
- Fiscal policy
- Pathak, S., Laplume, A. O., and Xavier-Oliveira, E. (forthcoming). “Opportunity Recognition, Intellectual Property Rights, Barriers to Technological Adoption and Technology Entrepreneurship in Emerging Economies: A Multilevel Analysis”, International Journal of Economics and Business Research.
- Pathak, S., Laplume, A. O., and Xavier-Oliveira, E. (forthcoming). "A Multi-level Empirical Study of Ethnic Diversity and Shadow Economy as Moderators of Opportunity Recognition and Entrepreneurial Entry in Transition Economies". Journal of Balkan and Near Eastern Studies.
- Pathak, S., Xavier-Oliveira, E., and Laplume, A. O. (2013). "Influence of intellectual property, foreign investment, and technological adoption on technology entrepreneurship." Journal of Business Research, 66(10): 2090-2101. Best Paper Award, 2012 Global Innovation and Knowledge Academy Conference (Valencia, Spain). Read More
- Pathak, S., Laplume, A. O., and Emanuel Xavier-Oliveira. (2012). “Inward foreign direct investment: Does it enable or constrain domestic technology entrepreneurship”. Columbia FDI Perspectives, No. 84, December 3. Read More
- Cassou, Steven P. and Emanuel Xavier de Oliveira. (2011). “Barriers to Technological Adoption in Spain and Portugal”. Portuguese Economic Journal, 10(3): 189-209. Read More