Assistant Professor of Economics, School of Business and Economics
- PhD, Economics, Kansas State University
- MBA, Business Administration, Kansas State University
- Licenciatura, Corporate Management, Universidade de Coimbra (Portugal)
Dr. Oliveira is an economist with specializations in macroeconomics, international economics, and econometrics. His research agenda has focused on interdisciplinary issues related to economic growth and institutional frameworks, such as barriers to technological adoption, entrepreneurship, foreign direct investment, intellectual property rights, and the informal economy. Dr. Oliveira serves on the editorial review board of the International Entrepreneurship and Management Journal, the editorial advisory board of the International Journal of Management Science and Information Technology, and as ad hoc reviewer for several publications. Recently, he also served as an invited scientific committee member for the 2013 Conference of the International Network of Business and Management Journals (INBAM). In addition, Dr. Oliveira actively collaborates with students engaged in national competitions, entrepreneurial activities, graduate studies and student associations. In 2013, he received Michigan Tech’s Student Organization Advisor of the Year award for his service to the Finance Club. Prior to doctoral studies, he worked in Portugal as a consultant for public and private projects funded by the European Commission, and as an EU certified instructor of innovation management and business internationalization.
- Monetary Theory and Policy
- International Economics
- Economic Decision Analysis
- Barriers to technological adoption
- Institutions and regulation
- Informal economy
- Growth and development
- Laplume, A. O., Xavier-Oliveira, E., Dass, P., Thakur, R. C. "The organizational advantage in early inventing and patenting: Empirical evidence from interference proceedings." in Technovation , Elsevier. Forthcoming.
- Xavier-Oliveira, E, Laplume, A. O., Pathak, S. "What motivates entrepreneurial entry under economic inequality? The role of human and financial capital." in Human Relations. Forthcoming.
- Laplume, A. O., Pathak, S., and Xavier-Oliveira, E. (2014)."The Politics of Intellectual Property Rights Regimes" in Technovation. (vol. 34, 12 #, pp. 807-816) , Elsevier. Read More
- Pathak, S., Laplume, A. O., and Xavier-Oliveira, E. (2014). “Opportunity Recognition, Intellectual Property Rights, Barriers to Technological Adoption and Technology Entrepreneurship in Emerging Economies: A Multilevel Analysis”, International Journal of Economics and Business Research, 7(2):130-158. Read More
- Pathak, S., Laplume, A. O., Xavier-Oliveira, E "Informal Institutions and Technology Use by Entrepreneurs: An Empirical Study Across 18 Emerging Markets" in International Journal of Emerging Markets, Emerald. Read More
- Pathak, S., Xavier-Oliveira, E., and Laplume, A. O. (2013). "Influence of intellectual property, foreign investment, and technological adoption on technology entrepreneurship." Journal of Business Research, 66(10): 2090-2101. Best Paper Award, 2012 Global Innovation and Knowledge Academy Conference (Valencia, Spain). Read More
- Pathak, S., Laplume, A. O., and Xavier-Oliveira, E. (2013). "A Multi-level Empirical Study of Ethnic Diversity and Shadow Economy as Moderators of Opportunity Recognition and Entrepreneurial Entry in Transition Economies". Journal of Balkan and Near Eastern Studies, 15(3): 240-259. Read More
- Pathak, S., Laplume, A. O., and Emanuel Xavier-Oliveira. (2012). “Inward foreign direct investment: Does it enable or constrain domestic technology entrepreneurship”. Columbia FDI Perspectives, No. 84, December 3. Read More