- G008 Academic Office Building
Senior Lecturer in Economics, School of Business and Economics
- PhD, Economics, Kansas State University
- MBA, Business Administration, Kansas State University
- Licenciatura, Corporate Management, Universidade de Coimbra (Portugal)
Dr. Oliveira is an economist with specializations in macroeconomics, international economics, and econometrics. Before joining Michigan Tech, he taught at Saint Norbert College, Kansas State University, and University of Nebraska at Omaha. His research agenda focus on interdisciplinary issues of economic growth and development, predominantly on barriers to technological adoption, technology entrepreneurship, institutional framework, fiscal and regulatory policies, and editorial review board duties for the International Entrepreneurship and Management Journal. Dr. Oliveira also actively collaborates with students engaged in national competitions and entrepreneurial activities, such as the iOMe Challenge, New Venture Competition, MTEC SmartZone, and other initiatives. Prior to his doctoral studies, he worked in the Portuguese private sector as a consultant (EU funded projects for public and private institutions, strategic plans for SMEs and business associations, etc.) and as an EU certified instructor (innovation management and business internationalization).
- Intermediate Macroeconomics
- Monetary Theory and Policy
- International Economics
- Principles of Economics
- International Finance
- Graduate Seminar in Macro Theory
- Growth and development
- Barriers to technological adoption
- Fiscal policy
- Pathak, S., Xavier de Oliveira, E., and Andre O. Laplume. (forthcoming). "Technology Entrepreneurship in Emerging Economies: The Influence of Intellectual Property Rights, Foreign Direct Investment and Barriers to Technological Adoption." Journal of Business Research. Best Paper Award, 2012 Global Innovation and Knowledge Academy Conference (Valencia, Spain).
- Pathak, S., Andre O. Laplume and Xavier de Oliveira, E (forthcoming). “Opportunity Recognition, Intellectual Property Rights, Barriers to Technological Adoption and Technology Entrepreneurship in Emerging Economies: A Multilevel Analysis”, International Journal of Economics and Business Research.
- Pathak, S., Laplume, A. O., and Emanuel Xavier de Oliveira. (forthcoming). "A Multi-level Empirical Study of Ethnic Diversity and Shadow Economy as Moderators of Opportunity Recognition and Entrepreneurial Entry in Transition Economies". Journal of Balkan and Near Eastern Studies.
- Pathak, S., Laplume, A. O., and Emanuel Xavier-Oliveira. (2012). “Inward foreign direct investment: Does it enable or constrain domestic technology entrepreneurship”. Columbia FDI Perspectives, No. 84, December 3. Read More
- Cassou, Steven P. and Emanuel Xavier de Oliveira. (2011). “Barriers to Technological Adoption in Spain and Portugal”. Portuguese Economic Journal, 10(3): 189-209. Read More