Interim Dean, School of Business and Economics
James and Dolores Trethewey Professor, School of Business and Economics
Director of APMP
- PhD in Finance, University of Wisconsin - Madison
Dr. Johnson is the Founding Director of the Applied Portfolio Management Program. This unique class allows students to manage over $1 million in the financial markets. Three times this program has won the international investment competition at the R.I.S.E. Conference. In recognition of their success, Dr. Johnson and his students opened the Nasdaq Stock Exchange, featured on national television and in Business Week.
Dr. Johnson has twice been awarded the MTU Distinguished Teaching Award, the SBE Outstanding Teaching Award, the SBE Innovative Teaching Award, and has been nominated for the MTU Innovative Teaching Award and the U.S. Professor of the Year Award.
- Applied Portfolio Management
- Derivative Securities
- Asset Pricing
- Portfolio Management
- Johnson, D. L., Sundaram, S., Yoder, T. (2013). "Overreaction to the CALPERS Focus List?" , Journal of Applied Business and Economics.
- Johnson, D. L., Qi, H. "Explaining Bond Spreads via Default Risk, Taxes and Rating Transition" , Financial Decisions.
- Qi, H., Liu, S., Johnson, D. L. (2012). "A Model for Risky Cash Flows and Tax Shields" (vol. 36, pp. 868-881) , Journal of Economics and Finance.
- Johnson, D. L., Joyce, B. P. (2012). Johnson, D. L., "Bubbles and Crashes Revisited" ( pp. 26-42) , Review of Economics and Finance.
- Pickens, J. B., Johnson, D. L., Orr, B. D., Reed, D. D., Webster, C. E., Schmierer, J. M. (2009) "Expected rates of value growth for individual sugar maple crop trees in the great lakes region: A reply to John E. Wagner’s comment," Northern Journal of Applied Forestry (vol. 26, # 4, pp. 145-147) . Bethesda, MD:.
- Johnson, D. L., Qi, H. (2008). "WACC Misunderstandings," (1st ed., vol. 6, pp. 32-40). Journal of the Academy of Finance.
- Johnson, D. L., Qi, H. (2008). Krueger, T. M. (Ed.), WACC Misunderstandings Chicago: 2008 Academy of Finance Conference Proceedings.
- Johnson, D. L., Qi, H. Is a Project's Initial Investment Risk Free? A Decision Tree Paradox Las Vegas, Neveda: International Conference of the Global Business Development Institute.