Effective Date: 2/26/2016
SEC. 5.1 STANDING OR PARKING CLOSE TO CURB
No person shall stand or park a vehicle in a roadway other than parallel with the edge of the roadway headed in the direction of lawful traffic movement and with the right-hand wheels of the vehicle within 12 inches of the curb or edge of the roadway except as otherwise provided in this ordinance.
SEC. 5.2 ONE-WAY STREETS
Vehicles may park with the left-hand wheels adjacent to and within 12 inches of the left-hand curb of properly signed 1-way streets.
SEC. 5.3 OBEDIENCE TO ANGLE PARKING SIGNS OR MARKINGS
Upon those streets or in those parking lots which have been signed, or marked for angle parking, no person shall stop, stand or park a vehicle other than at an angle indicated by such signs or markings.
SEC. 5.4 PARKING NOT TO OBSTRUCT TRAFFIC
No person shall park any vehicle upon any street or parking lot or other parking facility in such a manner or under such conditions as to leave available insufficient width of the roadway for free movement of vehicular traffic, or as to require vehicles operating upon the roadway to leave their assigned traffic lane in order to pass such vehicle.
SEC. 5.5 VEHICLE STARTING FROM PARKED POSITION
A vehicle starting from a parked position shall give moving vehicles the right-of-way and the operator of such vehicle shall give a timely and visible warning signal before so starting.
SEC. 5.6 ANGLE PARKING
A vehicle parked at an angle to the curb and about to start shall give moving vehicles the right-of-way and the operator thereof shall not back such vehicle from the curb into the moving lane of traffic unless such maneuver can be made in safety and without conflict with moving vehicles.
SEC. 5.7 PROHIBITING PARKING (NO SIGNS REQUIRED)
No person shall stop, stand, or park a vehicle, except when necessary to avoid conflict with other traffic or in compliance with law or the directions of a police officer or traffic-control device, in any of the following places:
- On a sidewalk;
- In front of a driveway;
- Within an intersection;
- Within 15 feet of a fire hydrant;
- On a crosswalk;
- Within 20 feet of a crosswalk, or if none, then within 15 feet of the intersection of property lines at an intersection of streets;
- Within 30 feet upon the approach to any flashing beacon, stop sign, yield right-of-way sign, or traffic-control signal located at the side of a street;
- Between a safety zone and the adjacent curb or within 30 feet of points on the curb immediately opposite the ends of a safety zone, unless a different length is indicated by signs or markings;
- Within 50 feet of the nearest rail of a railroad crossing;
- Alongside or opposite any street excavation or obstruction when such stopping, standing, or parking would obstruct traffic;
- On the street side of any vehicle stopped or parked at the edge or curb of a street;
- Within 200 feet of an accident at which police officers are in attendance;
- In any place or in any manner so as to block immediate egress from any emergency exit or exits conspicuously marked as such of buildings;
- In any place or in any manner so as to block or hamper the immediate use of an immediate egress from any fire escape conspicuously marked as such providing an emergency means of egress from any building;
- On a lawn or grass area, playing field, running track, or any other similar area not a part of the University street, alley, driveway, and parking lot system without the permission of the Director of Facilities Management and Transportation Services.
- At a place where an official sign prohibits stopping or parking.
SEC. 5.8 WINTER PARKING PROHIBITION (NO SIGNS REQUIRED)
No person shall park any vehicle upon the campus between the hours of 2:00 a.m. and 7:00 a.m. from November 1 to April 30, except as follows:
- In designated parking areas for occupants of University housing.
- Employees working on an assigned shift and parking in an assigned over-night parking space.
- Anyone issued a special overnight parking permit by the Department of Public Safety and Police Services or the Facilities Managment and Transportation Services Department.
SEC. 5.9 GENERAL PROHIBITION
No person shall stop, stand or park any vehicle on any street or area except:
- Where such parking is allowed by applicable permit or duly posted sign, marking, meter, or device, or
- When in compliance with the direction of a police officer.
SEC. 5.10 MOVING PARKED VEHICLE
No person shall move a vehicle not lawfully under his control into any prohibited parking area or away from a curb such distance as is unlawful.
SEC. 5.11 PARKING IN ALLEYS
No person shall park a vehicle in an alley, except when authorized by official signs, nor shall any person stop or stand a vehicle in any alley except while actually in the process of loading or unloading such vehicle.
SEC. 5.12 PARKING FOR CERTAIN PURPOSES PROHIBITED
No person shall park a vehicle upon any University street or parking lot for the principal purpose of:
- Displaying such vehicle for sale;
- Washing, polishing, greasing, or repairing such vehicle, except minor repairs necessitated by an emergency;
- Displaying advertising;
- Selling merchandise from such vehicle;
- Storage for more than 48 continuous hours.
SEC. 5.13 STANDING OR PARKING ON ONE WAY STREET
No person shall stand or park a vehicle upon the left hand side of a 1-way street unless signs are erected to permit such standing or parking.
SEC. 5.14 LIMITED PARKING ZONES
When parking meters are erected adjacent to a space marked for parking, such space shall be a metered parking zone and no person shall stop his vehicle in any zone for a period of time longer than designated on said parking meter without valid payment as specified thereon, except when such requirement is eliminated by official posted notice. When signs are duly erected indicating that parking on any street or area marked for parking is limited to a specified length of time, although no parking meters are erected adjacent to such spaces, no person shall stop or park his vehicle on such street or area for a period of time longer than designated on said sign.
SEC. 5.15 DRIVERS TO PARK WITHIN SPACES
Every vehicle shall be parked wholly within the lines of a single parking space.
SEC. 5.16 PARKING GATES
When parking gates are installed to restrict use of a parking area or parking lot, no person shall use such area without making a valid payment on said parking gate, or without using an authorized admittance card or token, according to the operating instructions designated for the parking gate.
SEC. 5.17 PAYMENT OF PARKING FEE
No person shall use any parking ramp, parking building, or other parking facility without paying the fee designated for such parking and at the time prescribed therefor.
SEC. 5.18 IMPROPER USE OF PARKING GATE
No person shall drive or attempt to drive a vehicle through parking lot exits or entrances controlled by parking gates except in the manner posted and indicated by the nature of the operation of the parking gate.
SEC. 5.19 WRONG WAY THROUGH EXIT OR ENTRANCE
No person shall drive or attempt to drive a vehicle into a parking lot through the exit side of the parking gate or drive a vehicle from a parking lot through the entrance side of the parking gate unless directed to do so by a police officer.
SEC. 5.20 PASSENGER LOADING ZONE
No person shall stop, stand or park a vehicle for any period of time or for any purpose except for the expeditious loading or unloading of passengers in any place marked as a passenger loading zone during hours when the regulations applicable to such a passenger loading zone are effective.
SEC. 5.20(A) DISABLED PARKING
No person, other than a person certified by the Secretary of State of Michigan or another state as a person with a disability, shall stop, stand or park a vehicle for any length of time either wholly or partially in any parking space designated for disabled parking or identified as a disabled parking area, unless the person is parking the vehicle for the benefit of a person with disability.
Vehicles parked in parking spaces identified as a disabled parking space must display one of the following:
1. A valid disabled parking permit issued by the Michigan Secretary of State, clearly visible and hanging from the vehicles rear view mirror, or a special disabled registration plate issued by the Michigan Secretary of State.
2. A valid disabled parking permit, clearly visible and hanging from the vehicles rear view mirror or a special disabled registration plate issued by another state from within this country.
SEC. 5.21 FREIGHT LOADING ZONE
No person shall stop, stand or park a vehicle for any purpose or length of time other than for the expeditious unloading and delivery or pick-up and loading of material in any place marked as a freight loading zone during hours when the provisions applicable to such zones are in effect, provided that the driver of a vehicle may stop temporarily at a place marked as a freight loading zone for the purpose of and while actually engaged in loading or unloading passengers when such stopping does not interfere with any motor vehicle used for the transportation of materials which is waiting to enter or about to enter such zone.
SEC. 5.22 PRIMA FACIE EVIDENCE, PARKING VIOLATORS
In any proceedings for violation of the parking provisions of this ordinance the registration plate and/or University permit displayed on such motor vehicles shall constitute in evidence a prima facie presumption that the owner of such motor vehicle was the person who parked or placed such motor vehicle at the point where such violation occurred.
SEC. 5.23 NOTICE TO MOVE CAR
Every person having a vehicle upon the campus shall, upon receiving notice by e-mailing, posting or otherwise from the University to remove their vehicle from any location on the campus or to move their vehicle to a specified location on the campus, do so forthwith or by the time specified in the notice.
SEC. 5.24 PARKING OF SNOW VEHICLES
No snow vehicle, snowmobile, all terrain vehicle, or other such device not licensed for operation on public thoroughfares may be parked on University property without the express written consent of the Vice President for Administration or the Executive Director of the Facilities Management and Transportation Services Department or unless parked in an area specifically signed or dedicated by the University for such parking.
SEC. 5.25 PARKING OF MOPEDS
No moped may be parked in any area designed and/or designated for parking bicycles. Mopeds must park in areas designated or reserved for parking motorcycles.
- Chapter 01—Words and Phrases Defined
- Chapter 02—Traffic Administration and Authority
- Chapter 03—Traffic
- Chapter 04—Vehicular Noise
- Chapter 05—Parking
- Chapter 06—Pedestrians' Rights and Duties
- Chapter 07—Obedience to Traffic Regulations
- Chapter 08—Accidents - Traffic
- Chapter 09—Littering and Defacing Property
- Chapter 10—General Administration
- Chapter 11—Penalties and Procedure on Violations
- Chapter 12—Miscellaneous
- Chapter 13—Effective Date of Ordinance