The Create Your Success Scholarship and Program offers extraordinary academic support, guidance, and encouragement to students in a collaborative setting through the ExSEL Program (Excelling the Student Experience of Learning). The program includes the Frameworks for Success course—designed to help ease the transition from high school to college—weekly meetings with a student mentor, and one-to-one support with staff members dedicated to student success.
Award Value: Multiple students will be awarded a $5,000 annual scholarship in addition to other Michigan Tech merit-based aid they may qualify for. Need-based aid is also available for qualifying students.
The essay question: Provide a response to the following essay question. You may submit a written response (about 300 words) personally addressing the essay topic.
The student community at Michigan Tech is inspired by five values: community, scholarship, possibilities, accountability, and tenacity. Read more about the values online, then share with us which one of these values you most identify with and how this value will aid you in creating your success as a student at Michigan Technological University.
Who Should Apply
High school seniors from the following schools, districts, and partnerships are encouraged to apply for the Create Your Success Scholarship and Program. Students must enroll at Michigan Tech in the fall following high school graduation.
- Chicago Public Selective Enrollment High Schools
- Chicago Scholars Onsite Admissions Forum participants
- ITW David Speer Academy
- Lincoln Park High School
- Noble Street Charter High Schools
- Von Steuben High School
- Advanced Technology Academy
- Allen Park High School
- Arbor Preparatory High School
- Baldwin High School
- Battle Creek Central High School
- Beecher High School
- Belleville High School
- CA Frost Environmental Science Academy HS/MS
- Canton Preparatory High School
- Chandler Park Academy
- City Middle High School
- College Decision Day participants
- Cornerstone Health + Tech
- Detroit Cristo Rey
- Detroit EAA Public Schools
- Detroit Edison Public School Academy
- Detroit Public Schools
- East Kentwood High School
- Eastern High School
- Everett High School
- Experiencia Preparatory Academy
- Grand Rapids Montessori High
- Grand Rapids University Prep Academy
- Hannahville Indian School/Nah Tah Wahsh Public School
- Harper Woods High School
- Hart High School
- Henry Ford Academy
- Innovation Central High School
- International Academy Of Flint
- Jackson Public Schools
- J.W. Sexton High School
- Kalamazoo Public Schools
- Lee M. Thurston High School
- Northwestern High School
- Ottawa Hills High School
- Redford Union High School
- River Rouge High School
- Romulus High School
- Shelby High School
- Southwestern Academy
- Summit Academy North
- Taylor Preparatory High School
- Union High School
- University Prep Science and Math
- University Preparatory Academy
- Voyageur Academy
- Walkerville High School
- West Ottawa High School
- Ypsilanti ACTech
- Ypsilanti New Tech
- Ypsilanti STEMM
- Cristo Rey Jesuit High School
- Highland Park High School
- Hmong College Prep Academy
- Johnson High School
- Kennedy High School
- South High School
- Washburn High School
- Rufus King International School
- St. Joan Antida
How to Apply
- Complete the free online application for admission by November 30 of your senior year.
- Complete the Create Your Success Scholarship and Program application form by November 30.
Application Deadline and Other Important Dates
- November 30: Create Your Success Scholarship and Program Scholarship applications are due by 11:59 p.m. (eastern time). You must also have an application for admission on file by this date.
- December 31: Award recipients and applicants are notified.
What We Are Looking For
The scholarship committee is interested in getting to know you. Students will be evaluated not only on the experience shared through the essay response, but in how the information in conveyed.
- Don't think about the answer we’re looking for—think about what you want to share with us.
- We want to get to know more about you and hear how you plan to create your success at Michigan Tech.
- With these suggestions in mind, ensure that your essay is well written, free of errors, follows the instructions, and is submitted on time. The application system will close at 11:59 p.m. (eastern time) on November 30—late submissions will not be accepted.
What Students Say
We could go on and on about the benefits the ExSEL Program has on student success, but would rather you hear it from students who went through the program.
"I learned essential studying skills. ExSEL provided a great foundation for beginning college and it allowed me to view my future years of college with a greater perspective. I became a part of a family that cares for one another and looks to help each other succeed in all we choose to do." —Matthew A.
"I didn't know what to expect from a university, let alone one 10 hours away from home and based on engineering and I thought ExSEL would help me with the transition. It did!" —Rebecca S.
"The ExSEL program introduced me to new people and taught me techniques to be successful in college." —Kristina R.
Additional Scholarship Details
See our Create Your Success Scholarship and Program page for additional details.
For more information, contact Joe Cooper, Director of Student Financial Services at email@example.com or 888-688-1885.