If you think measuring the physical features of the earth using specialized equipment sounds like a cool way to spend your day, check out surveying engineering at Michigan Tech—it’s one of the most crazy-smart degree programs we offer. You can combine your love of the outdoors with state-of-the-art technology—and global positioning data from satellites—to interpret information and formulate conclusions critical to project success. Solving problems using smart solutions? That’s what we’re all about!
Choose your Focus
As a surveying engineering major you can choose focus on areas such as:
- Geographic Information Systems
What You Need to Know About This Program
- The major strength of our program is its emphasis on field practice: you’ll use high-precision optical and electronic instruments for measuring angles, elevations, and distances; Global Positioning System (GPS) techniques; and Geographic Information Systems (GIS) technology.
- You'll have access to the latest technology available. Every year, our equipment is replaced with the latest and greatest, something some companies don't even have the luxury of doing!
- You’ll learn from world-class faculty and researchers who have extensive experience in the field.
- Graduates secure co-ops, internships, and full-time jobs with companies such as Black & Veatch, state departments of transportation, US Department of the Interior, USDA Forest Service, and many private-sector employers.
- Our surveying engineering graduates continue to enjoy a job placement rate of 100 percent!
- Earn a Master's degree in just a single year of study beyond your undergrad degree through the accelerated master's program in integrated geospatial technology or geographic information science.
- Michigan Tech’s Surveying Engineering program is accredited by the Engineering Accreditation Commission of ABET, 415 North Charles Street, Baltimore, MD 21201.
And as a surveying engineering major, you can join the Efficiency Through Engineering and Construction (ETEC) Enterprise, a student-run business team dedicated to providing efficient design, quality construction, appropriate costs, environmental safety, and value for their customers.