If you like to be active and are interested in how the human body works during exercise, check out Michigan Tech’s innovative sports and fitness management degree. Employment in the health fitness industry is projected to increase over the next ten years—whether you’re interested in fitness instruction, coaching, or training, there is a growing need for your skills and passion.
What You Need to Know About This Program
- Our program focuses on a broad scientific, theoretical, and practical foundation in sports and fitness management—you’ll have the opportunity to conduct research in the areas of integrative physiology, biomechanics of human movement, or motor learning.
- You can earn a coaching endorsement certificate while you earn your degree.
- When you complete your degree, you’ll be qualified to take the American College of Sports Medicine (ACSM) certification examination to become a personal trainer or the National Strength and Conditioning Association (NSCA) certification examination to become a certified strength and conditioning specialist or personal trainer.
- You can also earn certifications and endorsements such as the PACE certificate for coaching in the state of Michigan, WSI (Water Safety Instructor), lifeguard, and lifeguard/CPR/first aid instructor.
- You’ll have access to the Exercise Science Teaching Laboratory, Exercise Physiology Research Laboratory, and Motor Control Research Laboratory—all with state-of-the-art equipment.
- Our incredible location provides you with endless opportunities to stay active as you pursue your passion in sports and fitness management—hiking, biking, skiing... you name it!
Close faculty interaction will allow you to participate in research projects such as the influence of Omega-3 fatty acids on neurovascular control in humans and the influence of age on motor control and biomechanical parameters of human movement. Sports and fitness management is the smart choice if you’re looking for a career where you can have a societal impact while helping to improve the health of others.