Pharmaceutical chemists formulate, test, and analyze drugs; conduct research to understand drug compounds; and develop guidelines regarding new drugs and the processes used to create them. You’ll gain an understanding of biomedical issues and the health applications of compounds that affect living tissue. Plus, you’ll develop skills in modern chemical techniques, such as computer-aided drug design.
Customize your degree with:
Minors available in
You can also earn a master’s in one additional year through the Accelerated Master’s program.
Take courses like:
- Pharmaceutical Chemistry: Drug Action
- Spectroscopy of Organic Chemistry
- Bioanalytical Chemistry
- Physical Chemistry
- General Immunology
Get hands-on experience like:
- Conducting your own undergraduate research project through the Summer Undergraduate Research Fellowship (SURF) program
- Using state-of-the-art equipment for lab assignments, research, and projects
- Taking the Professional Development for Chemists course series that will prepare students for job hunting, communications, scientific methods, and other aspects of their future careers as chemists.
- Getting involved with the student chapter of the American Chemical Society and attending and presenting at regional and national conferences
- Helping other students at the Chemistry Learning Center
Get a job like:
- Pharmaceutical Manufacturing
- Forensic Scientist
- Graduate School
Work for companies like:
- Dow Chemical
- SC Johnson
- Merck Pharmaceutical