Medical Laboratory Science
Smart students know to look ahead for a job with excellent potential... and medical laboratory science majors are in crazy-high demand. Michigan Tech has one of the largest MLS programs in Michigan, yet consistently offers specialty courses with smaller-sized lectures and labs. You’ll study the basic sciences, plus select from a comprehensive collection of clinical courses: clinical lab techniques, microbiology, medical bacteriology, immunology, clinical lab quality assurance and management, clinical chemistry, hematology, blood banking, mycology, and parasitology.
Choose your Focus
As a medical laboratory science major you can customize your degree by selecting one of these options:
- 3+1 or 4+1 Cytotechnology
- 4+1 Histotechnology
- 3+1 or 4+1 Medical Laboratory science
What You Need to Know About This Program
- You’ll engage in hands-on research as part of your curriculum…your last year of education will be a clinical practicum.
- You’ll receive strong personal advising by MLS faculty.
- A national shortage of MLS personnel means there are great job opportunities once you graduate.
- The internship/clinical practicum option means you’ll intern at accredited hospital laboratories nationwide.
- You can get free help on your assignments or work for the Biological Sciences Learning Center.
- You’ll take a full spectrum of clinical courses, which means lots of hands-on laboratory work.
Our MLS graduates staff and direct hospital and clinic laboratories, and are extremely in demand. If you’re looking for a degree that will help you make a difference in medicine, MLS will get you where you want to go.