Mechanical Engineering Technology
Looking for a way to combine your engineering smarts with a crazy passion for solving problems? If so, mechanical engineering technology may be for you! Become a hands-on problem solver, learn to prepare layouts and engineering documentation, refine designs, and develop new ideas. There’s a critical need in business and industry for leaders who possess both technical and managerial skills—companies such as Caterpillar, Harley-Davidson, Terex, Mercury Marine, and others recognize the ability of our engineering technology graduates to contribute on the job from day one.
Choose your Focus
As a mechanical engineering technology major you can focus on technical areas such as:
- Computer-aided engineering
- Fluids and power systems
- Manufacturing processes
What You Need to Know About This Program
- You’ll learn from faculty members who have extensive industrial experience in facilities and production planning, manufacturing, and product design.
- Our graduates fill a critical need as a bridge between the theoretical world of the engineer and the practical world of the skilled workforce.
- The majority of your core courses have associated labs—use them to explore computer-aided design and drafting software packages such as Unigraphics NX5.
- The mechanical engineering technology program operates the renovated machining, welding, and fabrication laboratory that includes MIG and TIG welding equipment, a fifty-ton hydraulic press, metal shear, CNC vertical machining center, CNC lathe, and CNC plasma cutter.
- Pursue a career in just about anything—systems test engineer, documentation engineer, project engineer, applications engineer, project manager, or even a mechanical designer.
- Michigan Tech's mechanical engineering technology program is accredited by the Technology Accreditation Commission of ABET, 111 Market Place, Suite 1050, Baltimore, MD 21202-4012, Telephone: (410) 347-7700.
Join our innovative Enterprise program and put your talents to work on a student-run business team such as Mini-Baja, Clean Snowmobile, BoardSport Technologies, Supermileage Systems, and many others.