Mechanical Engineering Technology
Looking for a way to combine your engineering smarts with a crazy passion for solving problems? If so, mechanical engineering technology may be for you! Become a hands-on problem solver, learn to prepare layouts and engineering documentation, refine designs, and develop new ideas. There’s a critical need in business and industry for leaders who possess both technical and managerial skills—companies such as Caterpillar, Harley-Davidson, Terex, Mercury Marine, and others recognize the ability of our engineering technology graduates to contribute on the job from day one.
Choose your Focus
As a mechanical engineering technology major you can focus on technical areas such as:
- Computer-aided engineering
- Fluids and power systems
- Manufacturing processes
What You Need to Know About This Program
- You’ll learn from faculty members who have extensive industrial experience in facilities and production planning, manufacturing, and product design.
- Our graduates fill a critical need as a bridge between the theoretical world of the engineer and the practical world of the skilled workforce.
- The majority of your core courses have associated labs—use them to explore computer-aided design software packages such as Unigraphics NX5.
- The mechanical engineering technology program operates a state-of -the-art machining, welding, and fabrication laboratory that includes a Fortus 400MC 3D printer, MIG and TIG welding equipment, a fifty-ton hydraulic press, metal shears, CNC vertical machining center and lathe, and a CNC plasma cutter.
- The School of Technology, along with the computer and electrical engineering department, recently received a major gift from the Nucor Steel Corporation to create the Nucor Industrial Control and Automation Laboratory.
- Pursue a career in just about anything—systems test engineer, documentation engineer, project engineer, applications engineer, project manager, or even a mechanical designer.
- Michigan Tech's Mechanical Engineering Technology program is accredited by the Engineering Technology Accreditation Commission of ABET, 415 North Charles Street, Baltimore, MD 21201.
Join our innovative Enterprise program and put your talents to work on a student-run business team such as Mini-Baja, Clean Snowmobile, BoardSport Technologies, Supermileage Systems, and many others.