Maybe you want to go on to medical school... teach biology in high school… or pursue a career in research. No matter which path you choose, the biological sciences program at Michigan Tech will give you the resources to be successful. Learn how individual organisms function and interact with other living things and the environment, then apply it to a variety of fields.
You’ll get to do a lot of hands-on research, both in the department’s laboratories and outdoors. Michigan Tech even owns its own research boat—how crazy is that? One thing’s for sure: you’ll never have a “typical” day in class as a biological sciences major!
Find your Passion with the Right Concentration
As a biological sciences major you can concentrate in:
- General biology
- Pre-health professions
- Secondary teacher certification
What You Need to Know About This Program
- Undergraduate research topics cover fundamental molecular biology and biochemistry, microbiology, plant sciences, and ecology, and may be taken for course credit in your junior and senior years.
- You’ll get to use the latest technology both in labs (DNA analysis, electron microscopy, various chromatographies) and on Lake Superior field trips.
- If you’re admitted to the Honors Program in Biological Sciences, you’ll perform an Honors Research Project.
- The Great Lakes Research Center is a state-of-the-art research facility that is a hub of investigative research for faculty interested in water, atmospheric science, and conservation research.
- If you’re interested in teaching, you can work with faculty for credit and assist in courses as an Undergraduate Teaching Assistant.
- You’ll get free help on your assignments or work for the Biological Sciences Learning Center.
Many students continue to do research after graduation in the pharmaceutical industry, hospitals, and the government sector such as the police, FBI, and Peace Corps. Graduates have also gone on to health care product manufacturing, quality assurance consulting, environmental consulting, and teaching. Whatever you’re passionate about, there’s an option to focus on it in the biological sciences program.