Michigan Tech is committed to providing a healthy, safe and clean campus community. For this reason, the University has gone Tobacco free, Smoke free and Vapor free.
The use of all tobacco products and vapor e-cigarettes is prohibited on all Michigan Tech-owned or leased properties. Students, faculty, staff and visitors are asked to respect this policy and help us create a healthier campus.
On September 3, 2013, the first day of classes, the University became a tobacco free and smoke free campus. In December 2014, the administration decided to revise the policy to make Tech Tobacco free, Smoke free and Vapor free, effective Jan. 12, 2015.
BOT Policy 12.2.1 Smoking and all tobacco use is prohibited except where approval is granted by the Vice President for Administration.
Working Group Charge
The initial approach to the implementation of the policy was compliance and education compared to a strict enforcement. The task force is being requested review the implementation of the policy and make recommendations for improvement regarding education and compliance.
- Personal vehicle exceptions
- Littering in areas near roadways and adjacent to campus
- Non-compliance of policy of students, faculty, and staff
- Non-compliance of policy of visitors and guests
- Education campus community
- Bishop, Rob, Staff Council
- DeVoge, Reid, Public Safety and Police Services
- Hiller, Renee, Human Resources
- Liebau, Dan, Facilities Management – Grounds
- Phillips, Joey, Inter-Residential Housing Council
- Pierce, Travis, Housing and Residential Life (Chair)
- Sanford, Mitchell, Undergraduate Student Government
- Nevorski, Kevin, Graduate Student Government
- Will, Cayce, Senate