—Walter Benjamin “On the Concept of History”
- Walker 308
- Associate Professor of Digital Media, Humanities
- Communication, Culture, and Media Undergraduate Program Director
- Co-Leader for Tech Forward Education for the 21st Century IDEA HUB GenEd
- PhD, University of California Irvine
Dr. Hristova’s research examines algorithmic and digital media cultures. She studies the intersection of technology and culture in relation the context of photography, surveillance, and social movements.
Stefka serves as the Director of the Communication, Culture, & Media Undergraduate Program and teaches in the Rhetoric, Theory, and Culture Graduate Program.
Links of Interest
- Visual Studies
- Algorithmic Culture
- Critical Theory
- "Training for the Algorithmic Machine" Media and Communications. 9(2), 2021. Read More.
Algorithmic Culture: How Big Data and AI are Transforming Everyday Life. Eds. Stefka Hristova, Soonkwan Hong, Jennifer D. Slack. Lexington Books, 2021. Read More.
- Hristova, Stefka. “Charting the Territory: Space and Power in the Iraq War” ACME: An International Journal for Critical Geographies. Vol. 17. No 4. October 2018. Read More
- Beatty, Joel and Hristova, Stefka “Articulating Race: Reading Skin Color as Taxonomy and as Biodata” Surveillance, Race, Culture. Eds. Susan Flynn and Antonia Mackay. Palgrave Macmillan, 2018. Pp. 21-42.
- Blue Screen of Death: disrupting transparent windows, composite media, and the aesthetics of continuity Read More
- “Images as Data: Cultural Analytics and Aby Warburg’s Mnemosyne.” International Journal of Digital Art History, vol.2, October 2016. Read More
- “Ruin, Rubble, and the Necropolitics of History.” Transformations, no. 28, September 19, 2016. Read More
- "Recognizing Friend and Foe: Biometrics, Veridiction, and the Iraq War" Surveillance and Society. Vol 12, N4 (December 2014). Read More
- “Visual Memes as Neutralizers of Political Dissent” TripleC Communication, Capitalism & Critique. Open Access Journal for a Global Sustainable Information Society. Special Issue on Critical Visual Theory. Vol 12. N. 1 (2014): 265-276. Read More
- “’Doing a Lynndie’: Iconography of a Gesture” Visual Anthropology Journal 2013 26.5 (2013): 430-443. Read More
- “Occupy Wall Street meets Occupy Iraq: On Remembering and Forgetting in a Digital Age” Radical History Review. Fall 3013. 2013(117): 83-97. Read More
- “Digital Animalized Camouflage: A Zone of Biopolitical Indistinction” Interstitial: A Journal of Modern Culture and Events July 2013 Read More
- “Life is Waiting:” Statehood, Temporality, and Mobility at The Terminal” Transnational Subjects Journal Vol 2. N. 1 (2012). Read More
- "Abu Ghraib: A Ghostly Story” in Gender, Power, and Military Occupations: Asia Pacific and the Middle East since 1945. Eds. Christine de Matos and Rowena Ward. Routledge (March 2012). Read More
- Slack, Jennifer D. and Hristova, Stefka. “Culture In-Colour.” Cultural Studies, July 2016. Read More
“Remembering the Real: 3D Media and the Experience of War” Society for Cinema and Media Studies, March 2021
“affective assemblages: facial recognition and the search for love” College Art Association, February 2021