Michigan Tech Magazine Winter 2009-10
- Robert Harrington ’73 received a Toastmasters Competent Communicator Award and is working on the Competent Leadership Award. He was part of the Michigan Tech Theatre (Actors) group in 1965–68 and again in 1973. “Are there any thespians from that era still alive and kicking?”
- Richard Newell ’70 Since retiring, he takes daily bike rides and wears his Tech jerseys “to let folks know who I really am!”
- John Ryder ’76 retired from his federal government career in 2007 after thirty-one years. John volunteers with the Boys and Girls Club and the Kiwanis Club of Sparta; hobbies are fishing, hunting, and duplicate bridge. When his wife retires, they intend to travel, renew old acquaintances, and visit family.
- Richard Wolf ’96 attended Tech from ’72 to ’76. He left school to take a job and returned to finish his degree in 1996.
- James Felch ’77 Laid off from his position as a controls engineer for an auto industry supplier, he has started a new company doing machine repair. See his website: jaagrepair.com (Just An Average Guy).
- Sandra Doll-Gustafson ’81 is a homemaker in Oakland with three children. Hobbies include photography, travel, and lots of golf.
- Jeffrey Phelps attended Tech from ’79 to ’82, when he transferred downstate to Walsh College. He says, “Nothing but good times and a lot of fun at Tech.”
- David Baxter ’86 and Karen Carlson were married in Detroit on 5/16/08 and live in Dearborn.
- Dave ’89 and Melanie ’93 (Trevethan) Hockin announce the birth of Mia Elizabeth on 10/3/08. Dave still works as a reliability engineer for BP North America at the Toledo, Ohio, refinery and Melanie is a physician assistant at Toledo Children’s Hospital.
- Justine Pratt ’90 Her company, Creative Algorithms, just released its first iPhone app: Date Wheel date calculator. Husband Cory Pratt ’91 is the other half of the business.
- Rebecca Johnson ’97 announces the birth of Kira Mimmie on 4/20/09.
- Cynthia Beals ’90 is on a Fulbright Classroom Teacher Exchange, teaching in Istanbul, Turkey.
- Pamela Rogers Klyn ’93 is the general manager of the dishwasher category for Whirlpool Corporation.
- Ann (Pavlat) Green ’94 and Michael Green announce the birth of Joseph Francis Arinze on 6/15/09.
- Pippin ’94 and Janice Brehler announce the birth of Marise Ghislaine, born 9/2/09. Pippin is a staff counsel with the California Energy Commission, developing building and appliance energy efficiency standards.
- Kevin Britton ’97 has joined Dow Corning in Midland as a maintenance/reliability engineer.
- Melanie and Jon Brown ’00 were married on 8/22/09.
- Kathleen (Wysocki) Crumrine ’00 and Timothy Crumrine announce the birth of Abigail Anne Crumrine on 1/14/09.
- Jason ’00 and Diana Stark ’00 announce the birth of Kyle Robert Stark on 10/14/09; big brother is Bret Stark.
- Kevin Herrera ’00 graduated this spring with his third degree. “Most likely my last!”
- Olivia Bartlett Drake ’01 and Jesse Drake were married on 6/13/09 at McLain State Park. Jack Jobst, associate professor emeritus of humanities, officiated at the wedding.
- Matthew Sohrweide ’01 and his wife announce the birth of their third child in September 2009. Theodore (Teddy) Sohrweide watched his first Packers game at age two days old.
- Jody Kositzky ’01 and Daniel Schaub, both of Howell, announce their engagement. The couple plans to wed in fall 2010.
- Keith and Nicole (Altomaro) Core ’03 announce the birth of Chloe Kaitlyn on 5/7/09 in Sugarland, Texas.
- George and Jamie Troth ’03 announce the birth of Alyza on 2/5/09.
- Derrick A. Siebert ’04 received an MD degree from the Medical College of Wisconsin, in Milwaukee, in May 2008. He is doing his residency in radiology at the University of Minnesota, Twin Cities.
- Paul Schmeisl ’04 has been promoted to project engineer at Soils and Materials Engineers Inc. in Shelby Township. He has worked six years for SME, a geoscience, materials, and environmental consulting firm.
- Sonya Parshall ’04 and Wilmer Lidke ’05 got married in October 2009.
- Brian Lang ’04 announces the birth of Ellasyn Sara Lang on 7/28/09.
- Aly Klugow Renshaw ’04 married Scott Renshaw on 5/9/09 in Land O’ Lakes, Wis.
- Casey Wellnitz ’06 and Stefanie Block ’06 are engaged to be married on 6/19/10.
- Ashley Blomberg ’08 and Ryan Ploetz ’08 were married on 7/3/09 at Bluff Valley Park in Bessemer. The couple now resides in Austin, Texas.
The Michigan Tech family extends condolences to the relatives and friends of those who have passed away recently.