2.15.2—Moving Reimbursement - Active Employee
Senate Proposal: No
Responsible University Officer: Vice President for Research and Vice President of Administration
Responsible Office: Accounting Services
Per the Internal Revenue Service, meals incurred during the move are taxable. Any applicable federal and state income taxes and FICA social security/medicare taxes will be withheld from a future paycheck. Non-taxable moving expenses include the movement of household goods, transportation and lodging while traveling from the former home to the new home.
To claim reimbursement for moving expenses, the employee does the following:
- Makes all arrangements associated with the move.
- Pays all costs associated with the move and retains all receipts.
- Completes a moving expense form upon completion of the move. the form is available
at http://www.mtu.edu/fso/forms/travel/. Instructions for completing the form are available here.
- NOTE: Original receipts must be attached to the form.
- Obtains written approval on the expense form from the appropriate Senior Administrator in the supervisory chain of command per department procedure.
- Forwards the approved expense form to Accounts Payable.
For complete information on moving expenses, see the IRS Publication 521 Moving Expenses which can be found at http://www.irs.gov/pub/irs-pdf/p521.pdf.
Forms and Instructions
In support of this policy, the following forms/instructions are included:
|04/10/2017||Transfer of policy page from HTML to CMS. Business and Finance numbers renamed from "2.2000" to "2. Business and Finance". Specifically from "2.2015.2—Moving Reimbursement - Active Employee" to "2.15.2—Moving Reimbursement - Active Employee".|