- Fisher 109
Associate Professor, Physics
- PhD, Atmospheric Sciences
The main research interest of the Environmental Optics Laboratory is the study of the effects that anthropogenic and natural particulates suspended and transported in the atmosphere (aerosols) have on Earth's climate and air quality. The net effect on climate from greenhouse gases, aerosols, and clouds is a complex integral that is not well quantified. This is also due to gaps in our knowledge of real world particle optical, physical and chemical properties, and their spatial and temporal distributions. We study the optical properties and the morphology of aerosols and their interaction with solar radiation and clouds by developing new instrumentations, performing laboratory studies, and analyzing data and samples collected in different locations of the globe, from polluted urban areas to remote regions. The goal is to provide new data to advance our fundamental understanding of atmospheric processes and in the end, enhance the performances of future climate models and improve air quality.
To know more about our research and on-going projects, please visit the Environmental Optics Laboratory page (https://sites.google.com/a/mtu.edu/eol/)
- Atmospheric Science
- Full list of publications at https://sites.google.com/a/mtu.edu/eol/home/dissemination/publications Read More
- China, S., Mazzoleni, C., Gorkowski, k., Aiken, A.C., Dubey, M.K., "Morphology and mixing state of individual freshly emitted wildﬁre carbonaceous particles", Nature Communications 4:2122 doi: 10.1038/ncomms3122; 2013 Read More
- Zaveri, R.A., Shaw, et al. "Carbonaceous Aerosols and Radiative Effects Study (CARES)"; Atmospheric Chemistry and Physics, 12, 7647-7687, 2012 Read More
- Mazzoleni, C., Kuhns, H. D., Moosmüller, "Monitoring Automotive Particulate Matter Emissions with LiDAR: A Review"; Remote Sensing, 2(4), 1077-1110, 2010 Read More
- Lance, S., Athanasios, N., Mazzoleni, C., Manvendra, D. K., Gates, H., Varutbangkul, V., Rissman, T. A., Murphy, S. M., Flagan, R. C., Seinfeld, J. J., Feingold, G., Jonsson, H. H. "CCN Activity, Closure and Droplet Growth Kinetics of Houston Aerosol During the Gulf of Mexico Atmospheric Composition and Climate Study (GoMACCS)"; Journal of Geophysical Research. 114, D00F15, 2009.
- C. Mazzoleni, H. Kuhns, H. Moosmüller, “Pollution reduction using biofuels: from the laboratory to the real world”, invited short communication for the “Expert commentary” section of “New research on biofuels”, Nova publisher; 2008.
- S. C. Herndon, T. B. Onasch, E. C. Wood, J. H. Kroll, M. R. Canagaratna, J. T. Jayne, M. A. Zavala, W. B. Knighton, C. Mazzoleni, M. K. Dubey, I. M. Ulbrich, J. L. Jimenez, R. Seila, J. A. de Gouw, B. de Foy, J. Fast, L. T. Molina, C. E. Kolb and D. R. Worsnop “Correlation of secondary organic aerosol with odd oxygen in Mexico City”, Geophysical Research Letters; 35; L15804, 2008.
- C. Mazzoleni, H. D. Kuhns, J. Witt, N. J. Nussbaum, H. Moosmüller, M.-C. O. Chang, G. Parthasarathy, S. K. K. Nathagoundenpalayam, D. Nikolic, and J. G. Watson “A real-world case study of tailpipe emissions for school buses using a 20% biodiesel blend”, Science of the Total Environment, The; 385; No.1-3; 146-159, 2007.
- C. Mazzoleni, H. Moosmüller, H. D. Kuhns, R. E. Keislar, P. W. Barber, D. Nikolic, N. J. Nussbaum, and J. G. Watson “Correlation between automotive CO, HC, NO, and PM emission factors from on-road remote sensing: implications for inspection and maintenance programs”, Transportation Research, Part D; 9; 477-496, 2004.
- C. Mazzoleni, H. D. Kuhns, H. Moosmüller, R. E. Keislar, P. W. Barber, N. F. Robinson, D. Nikolic, and J. G. Watson “On-Road Vehicle Particulate Matter and Gaseous Emission Distributions in Las Vegas, NV and Comparison with other Areas”, Journal of the Air and Waste Management Association; 54; 711-726, 2004.
- H. D. Kuhns, C. Mazzoleni, Hans Moosmüller, Djordje Nikolic, Robert E. Keislar, Peter W. Barber, Zheng Li, Vicken Etyemezian, John G. Watson “Remote sensing of PM, NO, CO, and HC emission factors for on-road gasoline and diesel engine vehicles in Las Vegas, NV”, Science of the Total Environment; 322; 1-3; 123-137, 2004.
- H. Moosmüller, C. Mazzoleni, P. W. Barber, H. D. Kuhns, R. E. Keislar, and J. G. Watson “On-Road Measurement of Automotive Particle Emissions by Ultraviolet Lidar and Transmissometer: Instrument”, Environmental Science and Technology; 37; 4971-4978, 2003.
- Pavesi, L., Dal Negro, L., Mazzoleni, C., Franzo, C., Priolo, F. "Optical gain in silicon nanocrystals "; Nature. 408, 6811, 440-444, 2000
- Mazzoleni, C., Pavesi, L. "Application to Optical-Components Of Dielectric Porous Silicon Multilayers"; Applied Physics Letters. 67, 20, 2983-2985, 1995