Petra H. Huentemeyer
- DOW 307
Associate Professor, Physics
- PhD, Particle Physics, University of Hamburg/DESY, Germany
Dr. Huentemeyer's background is in astrophysics and elementary particle physics. She is currently interested in the study of gamma and cosmic rays to solve the century-old puzzle of the origin of galactic cosmic rays, first detected by the Austrian-American scientist Victor Hess in 1912.
Where and how are cosmic rays produced and accelerated to their states of high energy? The study of gamma rays provides a crucial piece of the puzzle. Gamma rays are produced by cosmic ray interactions with matter and radiation fields in space, and as neutral particles they can be traced back to their origin. The high-energy processes in which they are produced can be studied by measuring their energy spectra, source morphologies, and spatial correlation of their sources with sources at other wavelengths.
Previously, Dr. Huentemeyer was a member of the OPAL collaboration at CERN and later joined the HiRes and Milagro experiments. Most recently she has been involved in the analysis of Milagro data and the design and construction of the HAWC Observatory on the Sierra Negra plateau near Puebla in Mexico.
- Gamma-Ray Emission
- High-Energy Cosmic Rays
- Abdo, A. A., Huentemeyer, P. H., et al, "Spectrum and Morphology of the Two Brightest Milagro Sources in the Cygnus Region: MGRO J2019+37 and MGRO J2031+41", Astrophysical Journal (available as Abdo et al. 2012, ApJ, 753, 159). (June 25, 2012).
- Abdo, A. A., Huentemeyer, P. H., et al, "Constraints on the emission model of the “Naked-Eye Burst” GRB 080319B", Astrophysical Journal Letters (available as Abdo et al. 2012, ApJ, 753, L31). (June 21, 2012).
- Abdo, A. A., Huentemeyer, P. H., et al, "Observation and Spectral Measurements of the Crab Nebula with Milagro", Astrophysical Journal (available as Abdo et al. 2012, ApJ, 750, 63). (May 1, 2012).
- "Indications of Proton-Dominated Cosmic-Ray Composition above 1.6 EeV" (with Abbasi et al.) , Physical Review Letters , Vol. 104, No. 161101 (2010).
- "Milagro Observations of Multi-TeV Emission from Galactic Sources in the Fermi Bright Source List" (with Abdo et al.), The Astrophysical Journal, Vol. 700, L127 (2009).
- "HAWC Timing Calibration" (Huentemeyer, P. H., Matthews, J. A.J., Dingus, B. ), Proceedings of the 31st International Cosmic Ray Conference (2009)
- "The Large-Scale Cosmic-Ray Anisotropy as Observed with Milagro" (with Abdo et al.), The Astrophysical Journal, Vol. 698, 2121 (2009).
- "A Measurement of the Spatial Distribution of Diffuse TeV Gamma-Ray Emission from the Galactic Plane with Milagro" (with Abdo et al.), The Astrophysical Journal, Vol. 688, 1078 (2008).
- "Air Fluorescence Measurements in the Spectral Range 300–400 nm Using a 28.5 GeV Electron Beam", Astroparticle Physics, Vol. 29, 77 (2008).
- "An Upper Limit on the Electron-Neutrino Flux from the HiRes Detector" (with Abbasi et al.), The Astrophysical Journal, Vol. 684, 790 (2008).