- Professor, Physics
- PhD, Theoretical Chemistry/Computational Solid State Physics, University of Erlangen-Nuernberg
- MS, Physics, Technical University of Munich
Seel joined the Michigan Tech faculty as an associate professor of physics in 1986, coming from the University of Erlangen-Nurnberg in Germany. He served as interim head of the Department of Computer Science in 1988 and was promoted to full professor of physics in 1989. In January of 1990 he was named interim dean, and from 1991 to 2008 he was the dean of the College of Sciences and Arts. Seel was appointed interim provost in 2009 and provost and vice president of academic affairs in 2010. He returned to physics in 2015.
Seel is a member of the American Physical Society, Sigma Pi Sigma, and Sigma Xi. He is the author of ~eighty-five publications and has been an invited speaker at universities, conferences, and industry laboratories in the US and Europe. His research areas are computational solid-state physics and quantum chemistry.
Investigations of excitonic structure of strain-induced changes in the band gaps of carbon nanotubes especially whether excitonic transitions behave differently under strain than band transitions.
Aqueous proton transfer across single-layer graphene, hexagonal boron-nitride - these membrane could lead to better fuel cells, water filters.
Singlet oxygen production on surfaces of graphene-like structures and molecules (on-demand generation of singlet oxygen from smart graphene complexes for the photodynamic treatment of cancer cells).
- P.K. Valavala, D. Banyai, M. Seel, R. Pati, Self-consistent calculations of strain-induced band gap changes in semiconducting (n,0) carbon nanotubes. Phys. Rev. B 78, 235430 (2008).
- P. Kar, M. Seel, U. H. E. Hansmann and S. HÃ¶finger, Algorithmic Refinements to an Enhanced Poisson-Boltzmann Approach Used in BioMolecular Simulation, in: U. H. E. 14 Hansmann, J. Meinke, S. Mohanty, O. Zimmermann (Eds.), From Computational Biophysics to Systems Biology (CBSB07), NIC Series Vol. 36, JÃ¼lich (2007), p. 173-176.
- P. Kar, M. Seel, U. H. E. Hansmann and S. HÃ¶finger, Comparing Semi-Empirical versus Classic Charge Assignments in BioMolecules and their Effect on Electrostatic Potentials, in: U. H. E. Hansmann, J. Meinke, S. Mohanty, O. Zimmermann (Eds.), From Computational Biophysics to Systems Biology (CBSB07), NIC Series Vol. 36, JÃ¼lich (2007), p. 155-158.
- P. Kar, M. Seel, U.H.E. Hansmann and S. HÃ¶finger, Dispersion Terms and Analysis of Sized Charge Dependence in an Enhanced Poisson-Boltzmann Approach , J. Phys. Chem. B,111 (2007) 8910.
- P. Zapol, R. Pandey, M. Seel, J.M. Recio, and M. C. Ohmer, Density Functional Study of the Structure , Thermodynamics and Electronic Properties of CdGeAs2, J. Physics.: Condens. Matter 11, 4517-4526 (1999).
- M. Seel, Core-Level Shifts and Their Relation to Surface Effects and Dimensionality of a System, Int. Journal of Quantum Chemistry 63, 623-629 (1997).
- More Publications Read More
- Strain-induced band gap changes in carbon nanotubes, Central European Symposium on Theoretical Chemistry, Dobogóko, Hungary (September 2009), invited.
- Does the energy band gap in semiconducting single wall (n,0) carbon nanotubes oscillate, First International Conference from Nanoparticles & Nanomaterials to Nanodevices & Nanosystems, Porto Carras, Greece (2008), invited.
- Calculation on Si phases, Sanibel Symposium, Ponte Vedra Beach, FL (1994).
- More Presentations