National Service Graduate Fellowship

The Graduate School will offer National Service Graduate Fellowships to students who have previously provided service to the United States of America. Eligible graduate students will receive a fellowship that will reduce their tuition rate.

The primary goal of the National Service Graduate Fellowship is to better meet the needs of students who have provided service to our country and allow them to bring their wealth of real-world experience to Michigan Tech.

Who’s eligible?

The National Service Graduate Fellowship is awarded to on-campus and online, degree and non-degree seeking graduate students in one of the following three categories:

What do fellowship recipients receive?

Eligible students who are accepted into the Graduate School will be notified once their required documentation has been received and verified. Recipients of the National Service Graduate Fellowship will receive a tuition award reducing their graduate tuition rate.

For the latest awarded tuition rate, please refer to the Cost of Education page.

Please note that the award amount may vary from year to year. Students may have certain GPA requirements that must be maintained to continue to receive funding.

How do I apply for the fellowship?

Eligible students should note their category of eligibility on their Graduate School application and upload the appropriate form of documentation to  MyMichiganTech (line item: NSGF Documentation). Students already accepted into the Graduate School should contact Carol Wingerson to apply.

If you have any additional questions on the application process please contact the Graduate School by email or phone (906-487-2327).

Eligibility requirements 

Military personnel

Eligible individuals are active duty military personnel, honorably discharged veterans, and military retirees.

This includes all personnel listed in the Title 10 US Code, including DoD (USA, USAF, USMC, USN), Department of Homeland Security (USCG), Department of Commerce (NOAA) and the Department of HHS (UP Public Health Service. Eligible veterans are individuals honorably discharged in one of the previously mentioned organizations. Retirees are veterans who have served honorably for 20 or more years. 

You must be able to provide one of the following forms of documentation: 

  • Recent Military Orders 
  • Current Military ID Card 
  • DD Form 214: Certificate of Release of Discharge from Active Duty 

A copy of your Military Records can be requested through the National Personnel Records Center.

AmeriCorps volunteers

Eligible individuals will have completed one full-time term of service (at least 1,700 hours over one year or less) or have completed at least 15% of a full-term contract but have had to leave the program for compelling personal reasons as determined and approved by the AmeriCorps Program Director. 

You must be able to provide one of the following forms of documentation: 

  • Certification of Service
  • Acceptance of Segal AmeriCorps Education Award 
  • VISTA Certification Letter 

AmeriCorps documents can be accessed through your My AmeriCorps account. If you have not previously accessed My AmeriCorps, you can register at Member/Alum Registration.

Peace Corps volunteers

Eligible individuals will have completed the full two-year tour of Peace Corps service, or a full tour minus up to 90 days of emergency leave; were granted “early close of service” or “interrupted service” status as a result of circumstances beyond their control; or were medically separated and have completed a year of service, including training. 

You must be able to provide the following form of documentation: 

  • Peace Corps Description of Service (DOS) 

To access copies of your DOS you can contact: Volunteer and PSC Financial Services at 800.424.8580 ext. 1770 or 202.692.1770