Communications Assistance Program
The Graduate School Communications Assistance Program (GS-CAP) provides written and oral/aural communication support to international and domestic students. Services available include, but are not limited to, writing assistance, presentation preparation, and general improvement of communication skills.
Services are provided through scheduled individual tutoring sessions or group workshops. For more information on what assistance is available contact the Graduate School.
For assistance with proposal development, students can contact Jodi Lehman of Sponsored Programs Enhancement.
A variety of support services can be provided through individual tutoring sessions. Some common areas of assistance include:
- Writing Assistance: receive collaborative support to revise, edit, and proof your documents. This includes class papers, journal articles, theses, and dissertations. Additional help will be provided for paraphrasing, summarizing, and citing sources.
- Public Speaking: receive feedback and improve your public speaking skills as you prepare for class, an oral exam, or conference presentations.
- Improving Communication Skills: practice your listening, speaking, and pronunciation skills. These sessions are typically for those whose first language is not English.
Throughout the semester group workshops will be offered to enhance writing and oral/aural communication skills. If you would like to recommend a workshop to be offered you can send your recommendations to the Graduate School. Some possible topics for workshops include:
- Writing Assistance: grammar review, organizing your writing, source citation/plagiarism awareness, paraphrasing and summarizing skills, technical writing
- Public Speaking: presentation skills, use of technology in presentations
- Improving Communication Skills: pronunciation improvement, academic communication skills, general (daily life) communication skills
Cost of Services
Individual tutoring for short term services such as editing assistance with a single paper, academic integrity referrals, assistance with a presentation, or resume review is provided at a cost of $30/hour, billed on Banweb. For longer term services, such as dissertation review and editing, rates are negotiated directly with a preferred provider and paid directly to the provider. Contact the Graduate School for a current list of available providers.
Workshop costs will vary and may be dependent on the number of attendees.