What is it?
Research-only mode allows you to register for nine credits (full-time) at a reduced tuition rate. Its purpose is to
- provide assistance to faculty who are supporting graduate researchers on external funds,
- assist self-supported students who wish to be full-time, and
- assist international students who must be full-time for reasons related to immigration.
- provide an incentive to students and faculty to move through courses and exams in a timely fashion.
Students are eligible for full-time research-only mode at the start of the first semester following completion of the required milestones.
- Master’s candidates—Must complete all required courses as well as the required number of credits for their degree (usually 30).
- Doctoral candidates—Must satisfactorily complete both their qualifying and dissertation proposal exams, as well as all courses required for their degree (as applicable).
How do I petition?
Complete and submit the Petition to enter full-time research-only mode form to the Graduate School. It is due one week prior to the first day of classes in the semester you plan to enter research-only mode. In addition, the following forms must be submitted to the Graduate School before approval will be granted.
- Master's candidates—Final Degree Schedule (M4)
- Doctoral candidates—Final Degree Schedule (D5) and Report on Research Proposal Exam (D6)
- Note: The doctoral candidate's home department must post all comprehensive/qualifying exam results into the candidate's Banner record.
What about registration and tuition rates?
Permission to enroll in a research-only course is granted by the Graduate School after the petition is approved.
|Fall and Spring Semesters||Summer Session|
|Register for 9 credits*—special research-only course**||Register for 1 credit—regular research course***|
|The reduced tuition rate is equal to one-third of the normal graduate tuition rate.||Regular tuition rates are assessed in summer.|
|* If you enroll for less than 9 credits for fall or spring semesters, you will not be full-time for support, visa status, or loan deferral purposes.|
** XX 5975 for MS and XX 6975 for PhD; XX is the prefix for your department (EE, MEEM…)
*** XX 5999 for MS and XX 6999 for PhD; XX is the prefix for your department (EE, MEEM…)
How can I register for an additional course while in research-only mode?
You can register for an additional course while in research-only mode. You must
- Submit a course overload request form
- Receive approval of your request
- Register for nine-credits of the appropriate research-only mode course AND the course you wish to take
Tuition will be billed at the full, regular rate for the extra credits.
When does research-only mode end?
Students will remain in research-only mode until they
- Complete their degree or
- Choose not to enroll in the 9 credit research-only course.
Note: Contact the Graduate School to request to be removed from research-only mode and discontinue registering in the 9 credit research-only course.