Students: Policies and Procedures
Please be aware of Michigan Tech Testing Center policies:
- Candidates should arrive 15 to 20 minutes before the scheduled exam time to allow sufficient time to sign in, store personal belongings and be ready to begin the exam at the designated time.
- For commercial exams, candidates must present a valid, government-issued picture ID, such as a driver's license, state ID, military ID, passport or green card. For Michigan Tech courses, a university-issued student ID is also acceptable.
- Within the testing cubicles, PROHIBITED items include, but are not limited to, the following: cell phones or other electronic devices, backpacks, hats or clothing with attached hoods, scarves (unless worn for religious reasons), outerwear of any type (jackets, coats, pullovers, sweaters, etc.), and digital and analog watches. The Testing Center will provide a timing device so you can keep track of the time. Check with the proctor if you have any questions on what is permitted within the cubicle during testing.
- Candidates are provided a secure locker to store belongings while testing. The candidate will maintain possession of the key to the locker. Cell phones placed in lockers must be turned off, not just silenced.
- The Testing Center is not responsible for lost or stolen articles left in lockers or in the reception area.
- The only materials allowed on the computer workstation while testing are your ID, scratch paper, and materials specified by the instructor (calculator, textbook, etc.).
- You may not communicate with anyone (other than Testing Center staff) during the exam. Raise your hand and wait for the proctor to come to you if you need assistance during the exam.
- Visitors are not permitted in the vicinity of the Testing Center during your scheduled exam.
- Children are not allowed in the Testing Center. Proper supervision of young children should be arranged off site prior to the exam.
- Candidates must have the proctor's permission prior to leaving the Testing Center. If you need to leave the Testing Center during the exam, an “exception” report will be submitted to the instructor or the sponsor.
- All exam sessions are monitored and may be recorded.
- Candidates are asked to be considerate of other examinees by talking quietly while checking in or leaving. Please avoid wearing strong perfumes or colognes.
- Testing Center staff is authorized to dismiss candidates from an exam session for violation of any Testing Center policies, for misconduct, or for perceived cheating.
Terms and Conditions
Please be familiar with the terms and conditions, provided in the Pre-Test Agreement. You will need to sign a copy of this agreement when using the Testing Center.
If Michigan Tech is closed due to inclement weather, the Testing Center will be closed also. If you were scheduled for a proctored exam during this closure, please contact the instructor to reschedule the exam. A commercial exam must be rescheduled through the commercial organization.